Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 22:56   #1981

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin22 View Post
Hey boys. New to the forum.

I am entertaining purchasing this Trimarand. Any advice would be appreciated.

1971 trimaran sail boat with Diesel engine
Well, how could you go wrong for a dollar? The plastic chairs on deck are worth more than that.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 06:59   #1982

Quote:
Hey boys. New to the forum.

I am entertaining purchasing this Trimarand. Any advice would be appreciated.

1971 trimaran sail boat with Diesel engine
Here goes, longish post.

I don't know your experience, so I apologize if any of this is redundant or seems patronizing. I'm not extremely experienced either, but I'll try and lay out what I know. If any more experienced members what to chime in or correct a mistake feel free.

First off, no one on here so far has ever heard of a "Guy Beach" tri and my google searches haven't turned up anything at all. So it's an unknown, and likely untested and unproven design. It's the Keys, have you spent much time there? It literally could very well be "a guy on the beach" built tri, that's the prevailing sense of humor down there. (Lived on Lower Matecumbe for a while). It's definitely a "cruising" tri design, and not a performance oriented design, so if you have visions of flying an ama at 20kts on your way to the Bahamas, look elsewhere.

It's an unknown design, and an unknown builder, so a very good survey is your best bet. It needs to be hauled out, and every single inch of that boat should be gone over with a fine toothed comb. A good surveyor will know what to look for, but you will have all the potential problems of a 45 year old boat, coupled with unknown build quality. You'll have to pay for a haul-out and survey yourself, and a haul-out on a 48'x24' tri is going to be extremely expensive, if there's even a yard in the Keys that has a lift big enough!

Rigging on any multi needs to be stronger and better quality than the rigging on an equal length mono. Which means it's going to be much more expensive to replace, so check to see if it has been refitted within the past ten years or so. If not, new rigging is going to cost you a lot of money (if you want to do more than just day-sails). Also, its not a production boat, so there's no standard or basis to work from when re-rigging, so everything will have to be custom, and therefore more expensive.

Take a look at the systems onboard. Age, condition, layout. With a boat that old you're going to be fixing things constantly, so check to see if the systems are easily accessible and smartly laid out.

The motor. What make, model, year, and how many hours? Do some "online shopping" for parts to see what kind of availability and price you can expect. It's a used boat, and a 45 year old home-built, so the engine will need at least an in depth service when you get it. Fluids, belts, and a few wear items for your piece if mind (impeller, and oil pump at a minimum, maybe much more than that depending on condition and service history).

What do you want this for? A floating crash pad? It's probably ok-ish for that, but don't expect to get any money back when you're done, 'cause that boat is just getting older and more worn out as time goes on. Want to refit it and sail around the world? (Or even just the carribbean?) I'd look elsewhere.
Old 24-12-2016, 07:45   #1983

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate any info. I power boated my whole life in miami and the keys just not familiar with ply trimarans. I am looking for more of a boat to stay in keys waters and use for mothership purposes. Engine runs. It needs to be pulled out. Found a few yards that can do it.

What is the process of replacing exterior below the waterline pieces? It appears they used Poly resin in the past.
dolphin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 08:32   #1984

You'd have to talk to a boatyard, that's beyond my ability. Be more specific with what you mean by "mothership". Are you planning on using it like a floating condo that stays on a mooring and you tie up your fishing boat to? Or are you talking about sailing somewhere and then fishing off the tri with a zodiac or a fishing kayak?
Old 24-12-2016, 08:55   #1985

More tying up my fishing boat to. I don't plan on moving it too far. But I would like to maintain it and be able to move it I case of a storm.
Old 24-12-2016, 09:32   #1986

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Gold ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Some Guy on a Beach built it?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:20   #1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Gold ...
Agreed. Pretty funny
Old 24-12-2016, 11:25   #1988

Quote:
More tying up my fishing boat to. I don't plan on moving it too far. But I would like to maintain it and be able to move it I case of a storm.
Floating condo for weekend fishing trips wouldn't be a bad use for this boat, depending on the condition. As far as moving it is concerned, you might be better off getting good insurance and letting the thing sink. Get a good survey, and make an appropriate offer. There's nothing we can tell you until you know more about the boat.
Old 25-12-2016, 05:38   #1989

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

44 live aboard catamaran

44' cat of some design for $9k
Old 25-12-2016, 07:12   #1990
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
44 live aboard catamaran

Looks like s CSK
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 14:42   #1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
44 live aboard catamaran

Already gone.
Old 27-12-2016, 19:05   #1992

Quote:
It is listed as a Guy Beach. It looks like a copy of a Jim Brown. Any ideas on the make?
It looks like a piver or piver based design, not a brown.

I personally would avoid any boat built with polyester resin, you will be peeling large sheets of the glass skin off of the old ply, above and below the waterline, and it is almost impossible to know where to stop peeling away and start patching with new epoxy & cloth. Also any bad areas (rot/soft spots/delamination) showing through are generally going to be at least 3-5 times worse than they appear once you start digging into it.

It can be done but I would only consider taking on a huge project like this if you have a lot of money to dump into it and 10 good reliable friends willing to work for months (years) for free.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:40   #1993

Wouldn't give this guy $1,200.

https://virgin.craigslist.org/boa/5929670526.html
Old 28-12-2016, 17:20   #1994

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I'll see that & raise you.... I wouldn't give him $12.00. Nice of him to include some scary photos though. Ask him what he's smoking to be asking $12K. That **** must be priceless!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 18:39   #1995

Boat: ShuttleWorth 32 Catamaran

1983 Gemini Catamaran - $9500

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5938607591.html

VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle