Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2018, 18:45   #1

charter from St Vincent to Grenada

Hello all,

Since Irma decided my boat in the BVI charterboat fleet is no longer an option, the family and I have decided to charter a boat to cruise the Genadines (a fp helia 44). I have never been to the Grenadines and I am looking for your suggestions as to an itinerary. It will be a different experience with regard to "local knowledge", as I am intimately knowledgable with the BVI and know the ins and outs of provisioning etc.. I look forward to your suggestions

Thank you in advance

db
boneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 05:48   #2

Re: charter from St Vincent to Grenada

I know this does not answer your question, but if you're interested read the book "An embarrassment of mangoes" by Ann Vanderhoff. It's a fantastic book about a couple who sell it all to sail away but a large part of the book revolves around the Grenadines and the people. Fantastic read!

Good luck with your charter!
xdeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 10:27   #3

Hi Boneboy,

Sounds like fun. I have spent several months in the area and there is a lot to choose from, depending on your preferences of foods, population, sports, etc. and amount of time and weather.
My suggestion is to check out the following guide (220pgs) as a starting point. I think Amazon has a kindle version from 2015. Have a great time.

A CRUISING GUIDE TO THE LESSER ANTILLES
VOL. III: THE WINDWARD ISLANDS
by
Frank Virgintino
Old 30-06-2018, 02:05   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I wasn't going to answer this thread as my experience of the area is now 5 years old but, since no one else has given much info I'll share my knowledge.

Provision on St Vincent as everywhere after that is more limited.

Starting from the southern tip of St Vincent the usual route would be Bequia for the first stop. Great anchorage with a large number of mooring balls. You'll be met on the way in by multiple boat boys all wanting you to rent their mooring. If you want to anchor then that's fine but you will get attention from the boat boys who'll tell you the holding is crap and you really should move to one of their balls. Bequia is a lovely island and if you have the time then stay for several days. Not much point moving the boat from the main harbour as there isn't really anywhere else to go (as far as I remember). There are small shops so you can pick up the basic provisions.

From Bequia you are just a few miles from Mustique. Mustique is an interesting place to visit but they don't really want bareboats there so they charge a minimum of three days mooring charge. The anchorage is always rolly but you'll be fine on a cat.

Next down is Canouan but it is probably 20 years since I stopped there so have virtually no knowledge.

From Canouan you are then down to the Tobago Cays and Mayreau. Tobago Cays have no facilities other than the Marine Park mooring balls. Boat boys will organise lobster and BBQs for you and bring basic provisions for you, usually from Union Island. Stay for a few days if you have time just sitting on the boat, snorkelling, diving, whatever. Mayreau has two anchorages Saltwhistle Bay and Saline Bay. Saltwhistle is calmer but with less access to the facilities on the island. Saline has better access but is a bit less sheltered. Interesting bars and restaurants run by some real 'characters'. Nice island.

Then there is Union which has slightly better provisioning possibilities and you can also clear out through customs there if you want to go to Carriacou or Grenada.

There are other small islands such as Petit Martinique and Petit St Vincent but they are just resorts. You are (or were) allowed ashore but there are rules about where you can go and what you can do. Also, one of them is part of SVG and the other is part of Grenada but I can't remember which is which!

Finally, it is a great area but it is very different from the BVI. The BVI is very short distances, mooring balls everywhere, an abundance of beach bars and sheltered sailing. SVG has much greater variety, greater distances, less facilities. Which you prefer will be down to your personal preferences.

I would say buy the Chris Doyle guide to the area... The 2017-2018 Sailors Guide to the Windward Islands | Cruising Guides they are really informative and also a good read. Much different from the standard, dry descriptions normally presented in cruising guides. He also has a web site here </title> <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"> <link rel="pingback" href="http://www.doyleguides.com/xmlrpc.php" /> <script type="text/javascript"> document.documentElement.className = 'js'; </script> <script>var et_site_url='http://w that has latest updates and good descriptions of islands and also shows the excellent sketch charts of the anchorages that appear in his guides.

Have fun!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Grenada