Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 11:33   #1

Charter Cat-jaguar model

Anyone had any experience on a catamaran made by Charter Cat, looking at a 36' Jaguar. Any thoughts or comments welcomed.
Thank you
sailor0516
sailor0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 13:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Charter Cat-jaguar model

There is a jaguar 36 that is under contract right now in Florida. It was being used by 360 yacht charters out of Key Largo.
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 16:35   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Maybe try to search the forum. Click on the search tab and choose the google search.
"wildcat jaguar 36 catamaran" should do the trick. There are quite a few posts about the boat.
Old 30-04-2013, 16:41   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Same model as Bumfuzzles cat? Lots of negatives written on many of the characteristics of the boats design, not to mention potential Qc issues? I dunno get a good surveyor....
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Belizesailor is a member and he has one and likes it. You should PM him and/or search his posts.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Belizesailor is a member and he has one and likes it. You should PM him and/or search his posts.
Yes, sitting here at anchor aboard her right now in Bocas del Toro Panama. Mine is a 2000 Wildcat 35 purchased in Florida new.

As others have said, search the the forums here...you will read much regurgitating of BumFuzzles issues but you will also find a number of happy owners right here on CF.

The most signficant issue w Charter Cats boats was highly variable quality of build. Get a thurough survey from a catamaran knowledgeble surveyor...preferably one who has never even heard of the broker/seller. I advise this for any boat, but especially for those whose production history is spotty.

That said, they also built some good boats. Mine is an example, 13 years of a mix of charter (captain only) and cruising use w no major issues. Shes solid and well built. The only quality of build issue I have had is that gel coat was laid up too thick in some areas and as a result it cracks...underlying glass work is good...easy fix. My boat is consistently valued in surveys at substantially more than I paid for her....not that it means much, but it does reflect the consistent high opinion of multiple surveyors.

The Jaguar 36 is fundamentally the same boat w some layout changes. A friend of mine has one. His is the 3 cabin version. The open transom on the Jag36 is a nice touch for cruising use. The 3 cabin layout is good, but I dont like how much of the anchor locker is sacrificed to the 3rd cabin.

Bottom line: a good little live aboard/cruising/charter boat at a price which is very hard to beat.

I toy w the idea of moving up to my idea of the ultimate boat, but at somewhere around 10x the cost it is very hard to justify...especially given that this one meets my needs.

For another proffessional opinion also see if you can find a write up by the owner of The Catamaran Company. Reasonable balanced perspective I think.

Be happy discuss further w you here and/or PM.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, model