Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2022, 12:06   #1

Charleston Haul Out // Keel Repair

Looking for input on best place to haul out a 50’ cat w 26’ beam for keel/fiberglass/gelcoat repair in the Charleston area.

Thank you in advance.

Coy
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:28   #2

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Charleston Haul Out // Keel Repair

This may come in handy at some point.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat Haul Out JM 211104 1.pdf (380.6 KB, 333 views)
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:11   #3

Wow! This is exactly what I was hoping existed! Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 10-04-2022, 05:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCs View Post
Wow! This is exactly what I was hoping existed! Thank you thank you thank you!
No need for thanks; the beauty of this forum (and the FB forums) is sharing and offering help.

What make is your cat?
Old 10-04-2022, 07:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
This may come in handy at some point.
Thanks for this LeeV.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:20   #6

Indeed. Thank you again.

Privilege Serie 5
Old 10-04-2022, 07:45   #7

FYI:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrivilegeOwners/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2038106753182538/
Old 10-04-2022, 11:17   #8

Boat: Catalina 445

Heading for the Bahamas in 2017 our Catalina 445 hit a rock in the Rock Pile in the ICW, just past the Little River swing bridge. Took a chunk of the starboard side of the wing keel and cracked the keel box. Had an insurance surveyor look at it and said our trip was over. He provided three marinas in the area that were capable of repairs. We chose the Charleston City Boatyard in Wando, SC. They repaired the keel box and wing keel over the winter and we sailed it home in the spring. They are a repair marina with one dock. They specialize in repair work. Don't know if they can haul a cat but if they can I highly recommend them. They boat is in better shape than when it came from the factory. Their number is 843.884.3000. I also hired a local surveyor to monitor the repairs. He was there for every major inspection. Well worth the additional expense since we were in Virginia.
Patty K Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:26   #9

Boat: Bristol 27 & CSY 37

Coy, the City Boatyard is the nicest & most professional facility in the area, probably also the most expensive https://shmarinas.com/locations/safe...city-boatyard/

People speak well of Cooper River Boatyard, and I believe they can lift your cat (but I have no experience with them). https://www.cooperriverboatyard.com/

At the other end of the spectrum is Detyens Boatyard (not Detyens Shipyard) who has a big travelift that will accommodate your cat, and you can do the work yourself if you prefer (I recommend visiting it first) I was here for 4 years DIY. Great staff, just kind of "rustic." 277 Shipyard Ln Goose Creek, SC 29445 https://marinas.com/view/marina/jnc1..._United_States
dbcreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:33   #10

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcreed View Post
Coy, the City Boatyard is the nicest & most professional facility in the area, probably also the most expensive https://shmarinas.com/locations/safe...city-boatyard/

I had my monohull at City Boatyard for a bit before moving it to TX. Decent services but it is in the middle of nowhere. Also, they have well water that I wouldn't put in my boat tanks. Didn't know they could haul a 26 foot beam, but maybe they upgraded their capability. There were not Cats there out of the water when I was there in 2020.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:41   #11

Boat: Bristol 27 & CSY 37

GreenWave is probably correct that City Boatyard travel lift can't handle your beam. (I wish that they were in the middle of nowhere . Our home is 3 miles away and it often takes 5 minutes just to exit our subdivision because of incredible traffic - The Cainhoy / Mt. Pleasant / Daniel Island region is one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S.)

A lot of big cats are hauled at Deteyns because they have the big lift. It's where many regional shrimp and fishing boats go, both commercial and sport fishers. Just don't expect red-carpet service or amenities, but the staff are good people.
dbcreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:48   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcreed View Post
GreenWave is probably correct that City Boatyard travel lift can't handle your beam. (I wish that they were in the middle of nowhere . Our home is 3 miles away and it often takes 5 minutes just to exit our subdivision because of incredible traffic - The Cainhoy / Mt. Pleasant / Daniel Island region is one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S.)

A lot of big cats are hauled at Deteyns because they have the big lift. It's where many regional shrimp and fishing boats go, both commercial and sport fishers. Just don't expect red-carpet service or amenities, but the staff are good people.

Oh yeah - that traffic!!! ugh. a two lane road connecting two fast growing areas is never good! :-)
Old 11-04-2022, 07:55   #13

Boat: Nauticat 33

Cooper River Boatyard can handle your boat, however they only have room on the hard for 2 large cats, so there's surely a waiting list. They lift with a crane and then place in a Travel Lift, so if by chance you can fit in the Travel Lift, they could get you out soon.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 06:48   #14

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

LeeV and everyone else, greatly appreciate this thread too!! We're headed up that way from either FLL or the Bahamas and want to haul out for a couple of months during hurricane season this year. Plus do a bit of work on her. Great bunch of folks we've got here on cruisersforum!

Cheers!
jBrad & Kristen
sv Fuzzy Logic
Leopard 40
Old 26-06-2023, 09:13   #15
Marine Service Provider

Hello,

I would like to take this opportunity to update everyone on our haul out capabilities at the Cooper River Boatyard, North Charleston, SC.

On July 12, 2023 We are expecting delivery of a vessel transporter that will allow us to move "big" catamarans around the yard. These are cats with beams between 20 and 30 feet. As was previously mentioned, we currently have room for only one big cat at a time in the yard, but with the arrival of the new transporter we will be able to haul and store or haul and work on many more.

We do haul out with a crane. That currently limits us to 45,000 pounds on catamarans wider than 20 ft. We can haul powerboats and "narrow" cats (20 ft or less beam) up to 60,000 pounds, and monohull sailboats to 55,000 pounds.

If you have a cat wider than 30 ft. but within our weight limits let's have a talk. Beam widths are limited by the width of our spreaders. We plan on getting wider spreaders (and a heavier capacity crane) soon. We have been strongly reinvesting into the yard ever since ownership changed three years ago, and plan on continuing that trend.

Give us a call at 843-554-7775, visit us on the web at www.CooperRiverBoatyard.com or if you're in the area swing by and say hi. We'd love to meet you and give you a tour.
CRBY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, keel, repair