Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 08:04   #541

Boat: Ovni 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
As most time is spent on anchor, for us a comfortable live aboard setup was important. Having said that we also wanted to cross oceans, so a blend of blue water capability and a comfortable home with the ability to be managed by a couple was our choice.
There are so many choices but these ultimately it comes down to how large your budget is.
Exactly how I feel. We spend so much time talking about this and that under sailing quality and performance, when having a comfortable home is so important. A good example for me: The best investment I did on my trip was my Rocna anchor, it kept me safe and let me sleep soundly at night, because like you said, we spend the majority of our time on anchor. Of course having some sailing performance is important, but if the trip takes a day or two longer, to me it really doesn't matter, as long as you're comfortable and enjoying yourself.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:09   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland"
...And when I go to his website I see he stopped making log entries in 2009...no 2010 entries
[URL="http://www.tulliana.adaero.co.uk/
Home - Tulliana[/URL]

Strange? He left no parting words?
Hopefully he's out there enjoying himself, completely disconnected from the World.

I agree though... It's strange.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:21   #543
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
GreenCat 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
No, I didn't have the retractable system, nor have I seen it in action, except for in this youtube clip: Green Motion retractable electric propulsion generating - YouTube

I wrote an article about Green eMotion for a Norwegian sailing magazine about 2 years ago, where I amongst other things talked about the retractable propulsion system.

In the video you can see the 10 kw electrical motors with forward facing props, mounted on the retractable bracket. Forward facing props are (according to the builder) 15% more efficient. I like the idea about lifting the motors completely out of the water, so that you get zero drag from them when you're sailing (this also frees up space under the bunks) and makes it easy to work on them through hatches in the cockpit. You can also use them to free-spin and charge your batteries when you're sailing 7 knots or faster.

I am however weary about unprotected forward facing props, because there's so much crap floating around, especially in harbors (when you normally use your engines) and with nothing in front to shield them, I can definitely see a problem. I also think that the set up looks a bit flimsy, but according to the builder they can sustain a force equivalent to 2 tons and the lifting mechanism can lift 400 kg.

I think the research they are doing is exciting, but I'm not convinced if it's something I'd like on my next boat (if I was getting an electric cat ... which I'm not). I think I'd like engines that could retract inside the hull like daggerboards if I was going down the retractable engine road, but that's just my take.
BTW SettingSail, as former Fastcat owner, are you aware of this lastest launch being called a GreenCat 605. I think its the same outfit?
GreenCat 605 with retractable electric propulsion - Boat Design Forums

....retractable electric drive, and recessed boards

I've not looked thru this subject thread in quite some time, but did you ever come to some discision about your next vessel?
Old 24-09-2012, 10:18   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland
BTW SettingSail, as former Fastcat owner, are you aware of this lastest launch being called a GreenCat 605. I think its the same outfit?
GreenCat 605 with retractable electric propulsion - Boat Design Forums

....retractable electric drive, and recessed boards

I've not looked thru this subject thread in quite some time, but did you ever come to some discision about your next vessel?
The GreenCat 605 looks like a very nice cat. I've seen a few more pictures and I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to hearing how the owners fare with her.

I haven't made any decisions yet on my next boat, except that she will be a second hand cat with diesel engines. So right now I have a huge market to chose from ;-)
I'm working on a new list of things I want in a boat and will take it from there. I still have plenty of time, because my tentative plan right now is to purchase her spring/summer 2014, with a departure date around May 1st 2015. I just need to convince the girlfriend that she wants to do this as badly as I do ;-)
Old 24-09-2012, 20:04   #545
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Characteristics of a Circumnavigating Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Don, Yes 'La Rochelle' was sold last Easter to a family living here in Sydney. We have a maestro version of the new He'lia 44 on order which Lou and I pick up in La Rochelle next April/May and then the slow voyage home over 18-30 mths, depends if we spend two spring / summer seasons in the Med.
Now at the fun stage researching and setting up for our adventure ahead.

Cheers Gordon.
Woo hoo Gordon (& Louise)...how exciting!!

We (and no doubt many others here) will look forward to hearing of your adventure(s)!!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:20   #546

Boat: Flying Scott - 19ft

This is a great thread and i am very interested in seeing the next boat choice! I would like to remind the readers though, this thread is about Andreas finding a boat and not anyone else finding a boat for themselves unless they share the exact same requirements as Andreas. You can have and share your opinions but please don't crap on his preferences just becuase it is not your preferences.
jurzeyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:32   #547
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurzeyfresh
This is a great thread and i am very interested in seeing the next boat choice! I would like to remind the readers though, this thread is about Andreas finding a boat and not anyone else finding a boat for themselves unless they share the exact same requirements as Andreas. You can have and share your opinions but please don't crap on his preferences just becuase it is not your preferences.
Come on get real. This thread is over 5 years old, has almost 550 posts and Andreas has already bought and sold the boat that started this thread. It rturned into a lot more than a thread concerning Andrea's boat probably 3'years ago.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:15   #548

Except he is looking for a new boat based on his experience and people are telling him his experience is wrong. If you would like to discuss further i would request that you take it to PM's as to not clutter this thread any more.

Andreas please keep this thread going with for your next purchase. The insight you have gained from the 2.5 years on the water is very enlightening.
Old 06-10-2012, 16:51   #549
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurzeyfresh
Except he is looking for a new boat based on his experience and people are telling him his experience is wrong. If you would like to discuss further i would request that you take it to PM's as to not clutter this thread any more.

Andreas please keep this thread going with for your next purchase. The insight you have gained from the 2.5 years on the water is very enlightening.
I agree Andreas experiance is enlightening and also are all the others who contribute to this thread whether they agree with Andreas or not. If it were just Andreas contributing to this thread I doubt it would have 550 posts. If you think only Andrea's opinion should be voiced I would suggest YOU pm him and have your discussion there.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurzeyfresh View Post
Don't worry, I will definitely be updating this post, now that I'm back on the market again. I'm in "negotiations" with my girlfriend, because we're a bit unsure when we want to leave and thus when we want to buy. We may actually be buying as soon as next year, and then live in the boat in the 2 years up till when we set sail in 2015, or we might buy in 2014. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree Andreas experiance is enlightening and also are all the others who contribute to this thread whether they agree with Andreas or not. If it were just Andreas contributing to this thread I doubt it would have 550 posts.
I agree. Though it began as a thread where I was looking for a boat, it evolved and covers a lot more than just that. I hope that it continues this way, because then it will embrace a lot more people than just me.

I'm working on a blog that will focus on the hunt for the next boat and all the preparations for the trip. As soon as that's up and running I'll post a link here.

- Andreas
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree Andreas experience is enlightening and also are all the others who contribute to this thread whether they agree with Andreas or not. If it were just Andreas contributing to this thread I doubt it would have 550 posts. If you think only Andrea's opinion should be voiced I would suggest YOU pm him and have your discussion there.
You are missing my point. Other's opinions often influenced Andreas in positive ways, it is the people arguing that his experience is wrong that bug me. It is great that people share their opinions and quite important to the thread but they also need to remember that they are still their opinions and do not have to be agreed with by the thread owner. Fighting with him and discounting his experience is pretty disrespectful.
Old 07-10-2012, 15:14   #552
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...it is the people arguing that his experience is wrong that bug me... Fighting with him and discounting his experience is pretty disrespectful.
Chill mate, chill......Andreas is clearly not stressed so nor should you be. Everyone here (certainly Andreas!) understands opinions are individual and agreement is optional.

So just let it flow, eh?
Old 07-10-2012, 16:15   #553
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
You are missing my point. Other's opinions often influenced Andreas in positive ways, it is the people arguing that his experience is wrong that bug me. It is great that people share their opinions and quite important to the thread but they also need to remember that they are still their opinions and do not have to be agreed with by the thread owner. Fighting with him and discounting his experience is pretty disrespectful.
Welcome to CF jurzeyfresh... Glad you found a thread you like.

One of the things you will come to accept is thread drift and differing opinions. It is part of the mosaic of CF and of the internet. Can't stifle opinions and when you disagree with someone else's point of view, you are welcome to debate within the guidelines of the forum.

Trying to dictate who says what is pretty much gonna be frustrating.

If you see an off topic or rude response you should hit the report button and let the mods know about it. They get paid fabulous salaries to stop the kids from fighting.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:52   #554
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Welcome to CF jurzeyfresh.
Hear him! Welcome indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If you see an off topic or rude response you should hit the report button and let the mods know about it. They get paid fabulous salaries to stop the kids from fighting.
Moderator training must be an awesome thing to see, e.g...

Old 07-10-2012, 17:07   #555
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

You get your horse beating stick only if after 4 weeks of rolling the same rock up the same hill you can still smile in public like a walmart greeter.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote