Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02   #1

Boat: Robertsen & Caine Leopard 45
Changing Jabsco Electric Quiet Flush from Seawater Option to Fresh Water

I am planning on installing and AC watermaker system on our Leopard 45. Does anyone have experience changing over the Jasco electric flush seawater rinse system to a freshwater rinse system?

I have heard that you have less smell, mineral build up and O-rings last longer. Any input on expense and difficulty to install would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Rob
rdomaleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 13:54   #2

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Re: Changing Jabsco Electric Quiet Flush from Seawater Option to Fresh Water

https://youtu.be/Vmm5KUT8sQ8

They converted to fresh water however I dont know what brand they used
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:48   #3

I am always amazed that even brand new multi-million dollar yachts heads smell at the boat shows.

We installed two new freshwater electric flush Raritan Marine Elegance heads and replaced all the hose with Poly-X. No smell ever after that even when leaving the boat for extended (months) periods of time.

Admiral says it was the best upgrade to the boat ... period.

Fresh water flush great. But don't forget to replace the hoses either with poly-x. Expensive but worth every penny and guaranteed not to smell for a long time.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:41   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

When our broker commissioned our new Lagoon 400, he pretty much insisted on the fresh water changeover right away. It has worked just fine.

Unfortunately, the Lagoon design has the holding tank so far away from the toilet it's basically in a different country. This means a great amount of fresh water is used to make sure the stuff gets all the way to holding tank (or through the holding tank to the sea if the valve is open). I think it has a significant impact on our water usage, and you should account for that.

Also if I were to do it again, I would have a Y-valve installed so it could be switched back to salt water if something goes wrong or you needed to conserve fresh water.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:40   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have fresh water quiet flush toilets which work well, though there is still a long term buildup of scale that requires occasional vinegar treatment. Also don't turn off your pressurized water system when you leave the boat. The solenoid valves require positive pressure to stay sealed and the pressure provided by gravity is not enough. Until we understood what was happening I replaced two valves because we would return to the boat and find the toilet bowls full and the water tanks empty and several cycle on the bilge pumps (it did keep the bilges fresh though). Once I found that water pressure was required to maintain the seal and left the fresh water pump on when we left the boat we had no more problems. Twelve years later I still have a spare valve and 2 rebuilding kits.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 17:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post

Also if I were to do it again, I would have a Y-valve installed so it could be switched back to salt water if something goes wrong or you needed to conserve fresh water.

Assuming your toilet has an empty bowl button that just pumps the water out, you can just get saltwater and pour it in from a bucket if you ever find yourself in a bind water consumption wise.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 05:34   #7

We learned on our old boat, that the real trick to eliminate holding tank odor in the boat is to run at least a 1.5" vent line and 1.5 vent fitting using good double clamped sanitation hose.

Also, do not use cleaners that kill the bacteria in your tank.

Anoxic tanks stink....
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 06:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

To change your Quiet Flush to fresh water flush you need to eliminate the salt water supply pump and connect the supply line to your pressurized fresh water system. To safely do this you need to install Jabsco solenoid valve and vacuum breaker in the supply line to prevent contamination of your fresh water supply.

See #27 on this parts list. http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/file...00-0618-GB.pdf

Since you already have a salt water supply pump installed, the Y valve idea sounds pretty good. You would need a second control panel, one for the fresh flush and one for the salt flush.

You can conserve fresh water and still get the benefits of fresh flush if you usually flush with salt but once a day flush with fresh.

Tags
electric, jabsco, water