Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2009, 16:45   #31

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
but I was more annoyed at doing engine checks under the bed on the Privilege.
What Privilege was that? All the current range you can get at the engines from under the bed in the aft cabins or through a hatch just in front of the transom steps.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 21:52   #32

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Since you metioned the Antares 44, what was your exprience with this boat compared to the Privilege? I am in the market and have been looking at both...so your comments raised my curiosity.
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 11:34   #33

Boat: 1985 CC
Let me start by saying that the reason I offered to crew aboard a Privilege 435 was because I find the boats very attractive and like the bridgedeck clearance. The only reason I was aboard a PDQ Antares 44 last year was through an invitation from a friend who had agreed to crew. The PDQ 44 was extremely solid in a 48 hour squall we encountered heading to the BVIs. The delivery captain in charge of the boat was also very impressed and kept saying that it was the single best cat he's ever delivered. In contrast, the Privilege was disappointing with poor visibility at the helm and a much less comfortable saloon.
My ambition is to liveaboard and circumnavigate. So far, the PDQ 44 is #1 on my wish list.
S.R.Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 11:50   #34

Thanks for the reply and information. I have been looking at the now Antares 44i, St Francis 50 and Privilege 495. All three on our list. I feel good about the 44i - and will know more later this summer - we are attending the Antares University. My reservations have been around the smaller size of the 44i vs. the larger payload and size of SF 50 or the P 495. I have three adults and 2 kids for cruising.
Old 24-03-2009, 17:43   #35

Boat: Kennex 38 catamaran
Another point to consider: Comfortable motion. The Catana pitches (hobby-horses) much less than the Priviledge because of the bow bulbs.
Tom Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 07:28   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R.Hathaway View Post
The delivery captain in charge of the boat was also very impressed and kept saying that it was the single best cat he's ever delivered.
This caught my attention because of a similar comment I heard. 2 years ago I took a catamaran sailing course with Captain Andy Bereson who along with a female Captain was teaching a course in the Bahamas. Their opinion on which catamaran they would buy if presented the opportunity was hands down the PDQ (Antares 44). This was pretty impressive considering they have so much experience delivering every imaginable catamaran out there.
Song of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 09:14   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
As a PDQ owner, I have a bias, but I would like to point out some of the Antares qualities. This catamaran was designed based on the experience of building two previous models, and learning from the owners of those boats what worked and what didn't. A 100% CAD design process permitted a lot of trial-fit-and-modify work to be accomplished before the molds were built, to achieve close tolerances, good bonding surfaces, ease of construction, and proper leads for deck hardware, steering and mechanicals. Ease of construction is important, but not for economy; it reduces any adverse human factor in the resulting strength of the structure. While I am deeply saddened that the vast experience of the old hands in Whitby won't be drawn upon, I'm sure that this superior design can be well built anywhere.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 10:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsilvers View Post
I feel good about the 44i - and will know more later this summer - we are attending the Antares University.
What is Antares University?
Old 25-03-2009, 14:45   #39

Boat: Bristol 45.5
I'm sure I'll tick off some people here, but here's my experience............... Four years ago, I was looking for a cat in the same size range. I had actually put a deposit down on a PDQ Antares and was pretty excited, until I sailed it in Annapolis. With a steady 15 to 18 knots, the boat sailed at around 7 to 7 1/2 knots on most points of sail. Granted, there were 7 or 8 adults on board and the boat had the standard (tiny) self-tending jib, but my (at the time) Catalina 36 could match that performance.

I looked at the Privelge and Catana, and both are very fine boats, but for various reasons decided to go with the Dolphin 460 and have been very pleased. Great sailing ability, relatively high bridgedeck clearance and very nice finishes.
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 15:18   #40

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
It's funny, but how many people chose their car by which one will drive one mile per hour faster?

There are some things on the PDQ which I haven't really seen on other boats. One is the sensible use of aluminum toe rail that goes out around the top of the deck. It's the furthest point out from the hull and protects the hulls extremely well. I haven't seen another catamaran that has that. It's interior finished look as nice after 6 years as they do the day it was made. I see this very rarely. And it's very true, the PDQ is a heavy weather boat. That's actually when they sold the most boats at boat shows. When you step into the PDQ cockpit you are completely in a warm secure environment on the harshest day. Are there boats that sail better? Yes. But they do in fact sail nicely and it has a construction philosophy of using the best lighting fixture, the best wiring, etc that really make it a boat that will look as nice 15 years down the road as it was new.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 16:59   #41

Boat: Bristol 45.5
I don't disagree that there are many nice features about the PDQ. However, 7 1/2 knots in 15 to 18 knots true, vs. 9 to 10 is not 1 mile per hour faster, it's 20 to 30 percent faster. On a 1500 mile passage, that's potentially a couple of days faster. Everything's a compromise.
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 07:13   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCatSailor View Post
I don't disagree that there are many nice features about the PDQ. However, 7 1/2 knots in 15 to 18 knots true, vs. 9 to 10 is not 1 mile per hour faster, it's 20 to 30 percent faster. On a 1500 mile passage, that's potentially a couple of days faster. Everything's a compromise.
Its hard for me to comment on the performance of the PDQ with the jib, but with the genoa, which we used most of the time, our average speed was between 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 knots in the same amount of wind.
Old 26-03-2009, 19:28   #43

Antares University is a 3 day class on the 44i. Happens every year. Topics cover all the systems, navigation, 2 days of sailing, etc. Hands on with the boat. This year it is in Charleston, SC in June. My wife and I are attending.

On another note regarding the 44i - my biggest concern at this point is the new shipyard in Argentina. Same project manager from PDQ, but new build facility. I am going to Argentina in August with my wife to visit prior to potentially purchasing a boat...lots of analysis right now...but having fun doing this.
Old 26-03-2009, 19:31   #44

schoonerdog, I notice you are sailing a St Francis 44. As I probably mentioned before, we are also looking at the SF 50. Not as nice fit and finish, but a larger boat for our family. Still not off the table for us...even though we really like the Antares. Overall, more boat for the $$ with the SF 50...but that is only one component.

Tags
catana, privilege