Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Wink CATANA Question

How do you stay out of the sun on the Catanas when steering from the outside steering stations? thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Catana can make a small bimini that fits over your head on each side or you can wear a good size sun hat.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 14:54   #3

Boat: Catana 471
Or use Otto the helmsman.

Yep, another one of those compromises.

Some folks really don't like the Catana outboard helms. We really love 'em. I won't go into the pros here, but for us they far outweigh the cons. Your mileage may vary.

I think the sun exposure aspect is the biggest downside. I've seen pictures of mini-biminis, but I would probably not adopt that "solution." It would only really be effective if the sun was very high. I have a 24" stool that sits on the cockpit bench right behind the saloon window under the bimini. I can sit there in the shade and see 360 degrees very nicely - and have a big area on the coach roof to sit my lunch. Nice breeze, too, if I have the windshield out.

Keep in mind that these boats are intended to be blue water passage makers. Once you're out there straightlining, there's not much need to hand steer.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 17:42   #4

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
How do you stay out of the sun on the Catanas when steering from the outside steering stations? thanks
Also not trying start the debate - but I think it was Dave from MaxingOut
that said after many many years circling the globe on his Privilege 39 (without outboard helm), he had spent less than an dozen hours at the helm. The helm is for docking, otherwise the auto is on as the captain is navigating, keeping an eye on weather, radar, trimming/reefing sails, keeping watch, etc etc.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 18:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
Also not trying start the debate - but I think it was Dave from MaxingOut
that said after many many years circling the globe on his Privilege 39 (without outboard helm), he had spent less than an dozen hours at the helm. The helm is for docking, otherwise the auto is on as the captain is navigating, keeping an eye on weather, radar, trimming/reefing sails, keeping watch, etc etc.
Thats how it works on commercial vessels as well....nobody stands there for 4 hours (typical length of a watch) hand steering.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 23:06   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
The aun is only a minor issue with outboard helms as you'll probably be on autohelm most of the time. The problem comes, in my opinion, when the going gets tough. You'll probably still be on autohelm most of the time but you'll want to be sat at the wheel ready to take control quickly if things go wrong. Then an outboard helm - or a flybridge helm - doesn't seem quite so attractive

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 04:49   #7

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
The aun is only a minor issue with outboard helms as you'll probably be on autohelm most of the time. The problem comes, in my opinion, when the going gets tough. You'll probably still be on autohelm most of the time but you'll want to be sat at the wheel ready to take control quickly if things go wrong. Then an outboard helm - or a flybridge helm - doesn't seem quite so attractive
au contraire

That's what the lee side helm is for.

On a November passage up the Ches. Bay (just S of Annapolis to Sass River), we experienced steady 35 kts NW with gusts to 45 (forecast was for 25 with gusts to 35). We were at about 60 degrees apparent, double reef main, just enough jib to balance the helm. Over 36 nm we averaged a little over 9 kts, counting the time motoring out of the anchorage, etc. In the long fetch down from B'more the short chop got to ~ 6 feet where we were making 11 - 12 kts. We took chop water over the lee bow and spray over everything - except at the lee side helm were we sat, monitoring the auto pilot and accepting way points, harnessed in bundled up warm and dry. The windward side helm would have been miserable - as would a bulkhead mounted helm on the windward side.

Had I not already been sold on the dual outboard helm set up - this would have sealed the deal.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana