Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 04:59   #1

Catana 581 rudder bearings.

I need to replace the rudder bearings on my Catana 581 and have not done this myself before. It was the first 581 built - hull No 1. I have the replacement bearings and would be grateful for any advice on rudder removal - common problems encountered etc. I have a video on how to remove the bearings from the housings.
Does anyone have any info that might assist please?
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:05   #2
cruiser

Re: Catana 581 rudder bearings.

suggest you join the Yahoo group for Catana:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CatanaCats/info

You will have to sign up. This is because the original forum which didn't have such requirements became a spambot Mecca.

In any case, at the Yahoo group, IIRC there is a previous discussion in re: your boat's generation's rudder bearing removal (there are at least five generations of Catanas)
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:18   #3

Boat: PT-11

If they are JP3 bearings and shafts, it may be like the Switch 51. If not, this may not be helpful. You can do it in the water or hauled. When hauled it is easy, but you will have to do it in a lift because the rudders need a lot of room to slide out of the bottom.

First scribe the shaft to mark where the tiller arm sits on the shaft, so you know where it goes when you put it back together. Ours are thick solid shafts with a 10mm threaded hole on top. Make a loop out of strong webbing and sandwich it between washers and screw tightly onto the top with a 10mm bolt. You will use this to hold the rudder from dropping to the sea floor since it will not float. I do this instead of using a ring bolt because if the bearings are binding you will have to knock the shaft down with a rubber mallet. If you are on the hard, simply support the rudders from below.

Next remove the tiller arm and with a rope tied to the webbing loop to hold the rudder in place remove the pin holding the rudder up. Remember how everything goes back together. Bring the delrin bearings up over the top of the rudder. Then there should be nothing holding the rudder up. Let it slide out of the boat. If it is sticking, hit it with the rubber mallet. When it is below the boat you need to get the rope holding it up from under the boat and tie it to something and allow the original rope to slide down and out of the tubes. You can let it dangle or go to the seafloor. Now the bearings are accessible.

Put it all back together just as it came out. If in the water, you will likely need someone in the water to help guide the shaft back in. We have done this several times in the water to change bearings, including in El Salvador where technical help would have been nowhere around.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33   #4

Boat: Catana 471

I have done this project and as AD28 has said the Catana Owners Yahoo Group has detailed accounts and photos to help you.
As Neko has detailed they are JP3 ertalyte nuckles held within Aluminum housings and I only replaced the lower housings but both top and bottom nuckles, but... I dug pits on the hard and dropped the rudders to do this. Working with the rudders while still in the water will ONLY be done if there is no other choice.
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:57   #5

Thanks to all for your responses. I'm having difficulty accessing the yahoo group.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:48   #6

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thanks to all for your responses. I'm having difficulty accessing the yahoo group.
Good morning Calico, I sent you a PM to put you in touch with one of the group Mods.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana, rudder