Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 12:08   #1

Catamarans with Big Outboard Motors

I was watching some YouTube the other day and the guy made a comment about how some modern catamarans are coming with really decent motors/engines that allow proper cruising without the sail.

I was shopping for a motorboat, because I can't sail. But if I had a catamaran with tons of engine power I could live the best of both worlds.

I am a total newbie when it comes to catamarans, I couldn't even name one company who makes them...

Can someone give me a shove in the right direction. Say 30-40' cat with real cruising power without the sails. Brand New boat priced around $150-200k out the door (no tax). Something you can live on for 3-5 days, party on, cruise around, fish, dive, swim etc.

I'm not looking for a blue water boat specifically... but you all know as I learn to sail i'll want to venture further and further, so a fairly capable boat required.

I read somewhere "Buy your second boat first", I am trying to buy my 3rd or 4th boat first, without going too far over the top.

One day I would like to go from Thailand (my home base) to Micronesia hopping all along the way. I am not saying this boat has to be able to make that journey, but if it could it would be nice.
Krabi Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 12:31   #2

Re: Catamarans with Big Outboard Motors

Any sort of cruising cat will do that for ya. Not with outboards though. Stick to diesel inboards imo.
Leopard... something like that. Basically the sail cat without the stick.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 12:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Any sort of cruising cat will do that for ya. Not with outboards though. Stick to diesel inboards imo.
Leopard... something like that. Basically the sail cat without the stick.
I think you have misunderstood my question.

I'm looking for catamarans that have sails and BIG motors/engines, so I can do 15-20 knots or more under engine/motor... or put the sail up and sail.
Krabi Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 12:56   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Motor cats will easily do that, but sail cats are deliberately specced with lower power engines. Why would they carry the extra weight in engines and fuel when they are already carrying the weight of a mast, sails and rigging too?

The slightly different design allows motor cats to motor faster too. Usually it's subtle but includes slightly flatter stern/scoops with less of a gap between the hulls.

I'm not sure how the narrower beam clearance helps, but you see it even on large ferry catamarans.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 13:29   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

15-20 is VERY fast. I’m not aware of any sailing cats that are able to do this. If there were they wouldn’t sail worth a crap. The props and shafts to push the amount of power needed to move a boat with masts through the water at those speeds is huge!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 15:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Not with outboards though. Stick to diesel inboards imo.
Rubbish
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 15:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
15-20 is VERY fast. I’m not aware of any sailing cats that are able to do this. If there were they wouldn’t sail worth a crap. The props and shafts to push the amount of power needed to move a boat with masts through the water at those speeds is huge!
True, and the hull shapes for motor and sail are so different that you will end up with a pig either way.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 23:55   #8

Once get to speeds in the teens, range becomes a major limiting factor.

If you accept 5-7kt speeds, it's easy to get quite a bit of range and outboard is very much viable. Our Gemini (34' cat) with 25hp outboard had a range of around 300-350miles at 6kts. If we slowed down to 4kts, we could double that. A few 5 gal jugs and you can add a couple hundred more miles.

Outboard is very much a viable option and in my opinion preferable. Far easier to find someone familiar with outboards in remote areas and if you need to replace an outboard, $5k and an afternoon and you have an entirely new drivetrain. $5k won't get you a new uninstalled diesel engine in the 25-30hp range and that doesn't include, transmission, prop & shaft nor installation.

Of course for long offshore passages, sail makes far more sense but again, don't count on speeds in the teens. It just won't happen. In the size range mentioned, I would expect 4-6kts for speeds on long passages and if you are willing to burn a lot more fuel, you might get 7-8kts on short range runs.

Biggest issue I see for you is I don't know whats available in your local area. I'm sure a lot of the common North American and European models won't be found.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 01:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabi Sunset View Post

I was shopping for a motorboat, because I can't sail. But if I had a catamaran with tons of engine power I could live the best of both worlds.

I am a total newbie when it comes to catamarans, I couldn't even name one company who makes them...

Can someone give me a shove in the right direction. Say 30-40' cat with real cruising power without the sails. Brand New boat priced around $150-200k out the door (no tax). Something you can live on for 3-5 days, party on, cruise around, fish, dive, swim etc.
Chris White has a couple of designs a 34 & a 45

https://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/video-gallery
panglaodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 01:59   #10

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabi Sunset View Post
I think you have misunderstood my question.

I'm looking for catamarans that have sails and BIG motors/engines, so I can do 15-20 knots or more under engine/motor... or put the sail up and sail.
Just my opinion, yet to be proven...

As has been said above, I don't think you are going to achieve those speeds with a party boat but you could do it with a lightweight racer. When I wanted advice on my boat from the manufacturer, Schionning told me the story of one guy with a boat like mine made 16kn with 2 X 60hp outboards but it sat low at the back, pushing too much water up front.

I am still playing with the set up on mine and expect to get 13 or hopefully 14kn (I dream of 15 but I know it ain't going to happen) from 2 X 40hp Honda 4 strokes. Currently I get 10.5kn at 3800rpm..... About 2/3rds throttle (Morse control hits the console). I am also adjusting rake and toe on the outboards to find the sweet spot.

Realistically I am trying to find the sweet spot for cruising with one engine not top speed but it's in my DNA to find the top speed.

To be fast you can't really have a party boat on your budget. You need a lightweight performance cruising cat made to sail at 25kn+. Party boats are nice but not fast (except for an occasional expensive BIG boat)

Advice value = less than $0.02c
Old 25-04-2018, 05:44   #11

https://www.lightwaveyachts.com/motor-sailer-47/

or
http://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/crossover

Might be out of your budget tho.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:25   #12

Boat: Tri-star 18, Woods 22 ft Wizard

Have a look at the Scape 39. Used for day charters. Also Scape 40. Not sure if you ll reach those speeds under motor but sailing you will.
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:54   #13

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Red face Re: Catamarans with Big Outboard Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Wow.......
Old 25-04-2018, 16:45   #14

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

Brian Perry on the Gold Coast in Australia builds sailing catamarans.....and power catamarans......Perry 43......and Perry 57.......also several catamaran motor sailers....65' and 67'........with twin 450HP engines........25 knots.......lovely.
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 17:38   #15

I always thought that a bigger version of MacGregor 36, say 45-50' with a 36hp Yanmar outboard diesel would be a great boat.

Anyone know of a larger size MacGregor 36 style boat?

12 knots under power is fine for me
I would imagine a "MacGregor" 48 would certainly do 20+ under sail
panglaodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, motor, outboard