Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 10:48   #91

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Catamarans in 50kt winds

I dont think either a mono or a cat will survive whale attack. (Ya know the seas are full of maurading whales)
Just sayin....
Old 03-08-2016, 10:54   #92

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I dont think either a mono or a cat will survive whale attack. (Ya know the seas are full of maurading whales)
Just sayin....
Not whales, it's 40' container attacks.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:31   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
The Amel super maramu 53 has 5 water tight compartments. She can roll all she wants and not sink. The Amel sharky 39,maramu 47 and mango 51 have only one compartment forward of the mast. I would think there's other manufactures that would offer safety.
Do those compartments have enough volume to actually float the hull?

That seems like a lot of lost space.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:43   #94

The super maramu more then enough to mantain bouncy. The mango is designed more for a forward collision.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:58   #95

Boat: a sailing boat

People who have not been in a serious capsize situation on a mono, PLS stop posting things like blessed be the boats that will always come back the right side up.

For you do not want to be in a mono that suffered a serious knock down / or even worse, a roll-over. Take it from someone who has been in two very serious knock downs in a mono.

So what if she came the right side up or not when you are flooded, with heaps of damage and possibly in the state of utter shock.

You are often not much better off, at times worse off, than a crew of a capsized cat.

An ultimate, dramatic event is just that. Mono or cat. Mostly all up to luck, not to how many hulls there be.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:34   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Do those compartments have enough volume to actually float the hull?

That seems like a lot of lost space.
There's no space lost you just make bulk head water tight. Separate forward cabin and head with dog door all pluming with seacocks. Same at aft and engine compartment.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:09   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not whales, it's 40' container attacks.
Just ask Robert Redford. They are extremely vicious on dead calm days... and come out of nowhere.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:21   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just ask Robert Redford. They are extremely vicious on dead calm days... and come out of nowhere.
Did I miss a movie?
Old 03-08-2016, 13:30   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
The Gone With The Wynns is interesting. When they were boat shopping, the only thing they seemed interested in was the layout and look. They didn't seem to care about safety. She looks weak and he looks weaker. I'll watch to see whether they are going to bail out of their project or not. She is already talking about it being difficult and they haven't left port yet!
Heh, give them some time. They're still learning to sail and making throw pillows for the cockpit.

Check out Impi and Honeymoon on youtube. Bother are Lagoons and both of them had some rough weather crossings that were recorded.

I'm still shopping myself
lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:37   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotek View Post
Heh, give them some time. They're still learning to sail and making throw pillows for the cockpit.

Check out Impi and Honeymoon on youtube. Bother are Lagoons and both of them had some rough weather crossings that were recorded.

I'm still shopping myself
Truth is very few sailors actually know exactly how their boat is built and how it compares with others. Most cruisers do in fact choose their boat based on the floor plan.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 13:46   #101

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Did I miss a movie?
You may not have watched the movie but you have not missed much.....
Old 03-08-2016, 13:53   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Truth is very few sailors actually know exactly how their boat is built and how it compares with others. Most cruisers do in fact choose their boat based on the floor plan.
That is fine. Few plan on crossing an ocean. Some probably seldom leave the dock. To each his own. For the most part it is a consumer's market, bling sells.
Old 03-08-2016, 14:02   #103

As said above, its not about the wind its about the sea state.

You get a 25/30 knot NW breeze blowing for a spell while it has been blowing SW 50 knots for a week or more 500 to 1000 miles to the south and you will find yourself living in 'interesting times'.

There is an interesting graph here https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/305837/

Scroll down to 3b-2

The fourth factor not shown is - of course- time.

It shows pretty clearly why you get the sort of seas you get in different areas.
Old 03-08-2016, 14:55   #104

Ooooops, don't know what happened there, try this https://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/2...%203%20Eng.pdf
Old 03-08-2016, 15:45   #105

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
If you are caught in the middle of an ocean crossing in 50 kt winds and 30-35ft breaking waves, would you feel safe in a Catamaran like a Privilege, Lagoon, Leopard, or Catana?
Have RACED in 35-38 knots sustained, but only because we got caught in it. Not sure what the waves were, but they were big. We had a double reef in, only because the third reef was not rigged. (Never do that again.) The issue we had was not with the boat, but with the crew. Four of us aboard. Two seasoned skippers with many open water crossings under their belt. Neither took seasickness medicine, and the conditions got to them, and they were out on the floor. Worthless. A friend of mine and I both took meds, and still managed to get sick, but not dehabilitating and the worse of it was very short duration. He was pretty novice crew, and I owned the boat. I couldn't afford to be sick for long!

A bigger boat would probably be easier on crew, but the Bahia 46 that ended up at the dock in front of us had a pretty solid buildup of barf on the back that they were trying to wash off when we pulled up!

All that said though, I think if you got stuck in "30-35 ft breaking waves", the best thing to do would be to shoot yourself. Not sure anyone is going to survive that anyway. So the answer is "no", I wouldn't feel safe in any boat you listed in those conditions. Maybe a 200 ft plus motoryacht. No sailboat - mono or multi.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, wind