Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2010, 04:33   #121
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
This was a great thread, but it went pretty seriously off-topic for a while. I deleted 12 posts on subjects like the cocaine laden cat, Australian customs, territorial waters boundaries, civil liberties, etc. I didn't PM any of the posters, so if you wonder where your post went, this is the explanation.

While some of those posts would be acceptable in a thread of their own, they don't fit here and detract from the subject that most viewers are interested in, namely Catamarans-Current Market Situation. Let's try to keep it on that track, please. Thanks.
Old 18-10-2010, 16:23   #122
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
OK, Back on track,,,now that 3 years have passed with cruising cat sales in davie jones locker, I wonder if the cruising cat wannabes that have been waiting are going to say enough time has passed and I am not getting any younger and I would really like to enjoy this life style now are going to buy some boats at the Miami show.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 19:55   #123

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
Hello Boys and girls! After being on the recieving end of much help and info, I can finnaly give back!

I have been in the market for about 4 months. I was in the lower market range for a cat (150-250K). After doing a TON of interwebs research I boarded serveral boats this weekend. I put in an offer that was accepted and going to survey later this week.

My experiance was that there are few cats on the west coast that met my criteria (good name cat, bluewater, cruiser ready, liveaboard). Of the 5 on my short list I set foot on three of them. Our #1 cat was priced right and I had to compete against an offer from an austrailian. I didn't get the discount from list price I wanted, but think the price is fair.

I think my thought would be what has been said before in this thread: reasonable priced, good cats, are not seeing HUGE discounts, and that the Aussies are buying US boats like crazy because of the currency strength.

there you go, one more data point, hope it helps, good luck!
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 20:16   #124

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Boat sales rely heavily on financing. First, there are fewer people able to raise a deposit through home equity withdrawals or bonuses. Second, getting a boat mortgage is probably a more difficult proposition than it previously was.

Until those two factors improve, there are fewer buyers. It's all about the availability of money - not peoples 'desire'.

I do know of Australians buying US boats as mentioned. But, Australia's population is less than California's so it's a relatively limited market. I expect that a few intrepid Aussie buyers are probably going to do more for beer sales than boat sales!!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 20:20   #125
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
mtnsapo, congratulations. I went through the process 6 months ago and hope you have fun with it. You don't have to mention price, but - what did you buy?
Old 18-10-2010, 21:19   #126

We thought that, all things considered, the Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 we looked at fit us best. We considered Privileges, lagoons, leopards and one custom. Thanks Palarran!

Brian
Old 18-10-2010, 21:34   #127

Guys and gals As a rank newbie to the art of cat sailing and buying I am spell bound by the apparent low price of both FP Athena and Lavezzi models on yachtworld. I have read previous threads about osmosis problems with the Lavezzi and the drama associated with shipping craft to Australia.

Should I assume that the low prices indicate problems in all cases rather than an opportunity to cash in on the high exchange rate?

Is it too much of a risk to entertain shipping a $150 - $200K cat out from US, Martinique or even Madagascar.

Many websites suggest divorce will be cheaper than the drama and cost associated with importing large catamarans.

To be frank I don’t know of anyone who has imported similar vessels for their own use.

If the prices are so low and it so easy why isn’t everyone doing it.

Some advice and help please - so I can either stop fantasizing or go ahead and buy.
onthehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 05:07   #128
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I don't know about the costs of importing a boat from the Caribbean to Oz but can imagine it's ALOT. In regard to the osmosis question, there are several threads that detail the issue and can be found with a google search. I think it was limited and that FP stepped up to handle them. I chartered a Lavezzi and Bahia and found both to sail well. The Lavezzi probably did better then the Bahia but I'm not sure why.
Old 21-10-2010, 11:41   #129

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
mtnsapo,

Don't keep us in suspense, which cat did you buy?
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:12   #130

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
Guys and gals As a rank newbie to the art of cat sailing and buying I am spell bound by the apparent low price of both FP Athena and Lavezzi models on yachtworld. I have read previous threads about osmosis problems with the Lavezzi and the drama associated with shipping craft to Australia.

Should I assume that the low prices indicate problems in all cases rather than an opportunity to cash in on the high exchange rate?

Is it too much of a risk to entertain shipping a $150 - $200K cat out from US, Martinique or even Madagascar.

Many websites suggest divorce will be cheaper than the drama and cost associated with importing large catamarans.

To be frank I don’t know of anyone who has imported similar vessels for their own use.

If the prices are so low and it so easy why isn’t everyone doing it.

Some advice and help please - so I can either stop fantasizing or go ahead and buy.
Hi on the hunt, suggest you go to the "importing a boat to Australia" thread.
You will find a lot of info there.
Just beware of speculation vs actual experience and professional brokers with a vested interest in some particular issues.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:20   #131

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsapo View Post
We thought that, all things considered, the Fountaine Pajot Athena 38 we looked at fit us best. We considered Privileges, lagoons, leopards and one custom. Thanks Palarran!

Brian
Was it the boat with an Irish name?
Darn! another one on my shopping list sold.
I think the market is coming back to life, but only for the well priced boats.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 16:32   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Was it the boat with an Irish name?
Darn! another one on my shopping list sold.
yes. It looks and seems to be a great boat for the price. good luck in your search!

Brian
Old 21-10-2010, 18:57   #133

thanks for the advice Dragon lady. i noticed that the Lavezzi that A&C had for sale in Martinique is now listed on their website as "Vente en cours" - which according to Babelfish means sale pending. There does seem to be movement in the market - was this also one that you looked at.
onthehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 08:19   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Hi Dragon lady,
I also have Aussie dollars chasing $US boats. Am happy with the exchange rate now and trying to lock it in with Forex account.
I use Interactive Brokers http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/main.php
I hear Oz Forex Foreign Exchange | Live Exchange Rate | Currency Rates is good too.
I attached screenshot of what you can get versus NAB. Probably 5k on 200k difference in your pocket(or NAB's).
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-10-22 at 10.31.47 AM.png
Views:	182
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	20416  
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 09:33   #135
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
Hi Dragon lady,
I also have Aussie dollars chasing $US boats. Am happy with the exchange rate now and trying to lock it in with Forex account.
I use Interactive Brokers http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/main.php
I hear Oz Forex Foreign Exchange | Live Exchange Rate | Currency Rates is good too.
I attached screenshot of what you can get versus NAB. Probably 5k on 200k difference in your pocket(or NAB's).
Cheers
Not saying anything wrong with the above companies / links (I don't know / don't care) - but something to bear in mind when sending hard earned (?!) cash into the ether:-

"Crown Currency Exchange, one of the UK's biggest foreign exchange websites, has collapsed...........Administrators MCR said that an estimated 13,000 consumers would be directly affected"

BBC News - Crown Currency Exchange collapses

Not exactly a new story. even where honesty involved

Probably not the ideal place to caution that not everything on the internet is real, but..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote