Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 08:04   #91

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Regarding A/C, if you are simply using the boat for cruising, never at dock, then forgo A/C. But at dock where the boat hatches can't point to the wind like they do at anchor, the interior temp on a 90 degree day will be over 120 inside the boat, even with the hatches open. So it's not a "nice to have".
A/C can be nice even at anchor depending on where you are cruising. In the Southern Caribbean, the temps are in the 90's with high humidity well into the evening. Running an A/C for an hour while cooking makes the cook SO happy. And running it again for a short time just before bed drops the humidity drastically, which allows for a peaceful fall off to zzzz....

And don't forget about those hot, muggy days with no wind, or when it is raining and you can't have all the hatches open to let breeze through. 15-20 minutes on the A/C every couple hours and the humidity falls away. Even though the temp doesn't drop much, it feels so much better.

Of course, you will need a generator...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:25   #92
cruiser

Dragonlady & Schoonerdog: Better yet than A/C's:
Davis Windscoop - Only £49.95 - Force 4 Chandlery but dont buy for 60+ Euros (??) ....can be easily made in DIY! :-) -and solves the prob in port. (I never use the A/C in my car nor in my house, because these things do make me sick)

On the other hand: Pretty difficult to charge Laptops and run other equipment without Genset? And there is other gear I am sure most charter Cats dont have which may not be a "must have" but sure makes life onboard easier.
...and there are purists who circumnavigate on a 9m warrham-tiki cat which to me would be like camping inside a river.
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 20:25   #93

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Never really needed a windscoop for a cat at anchor, we've got 22 opening ports. But in a marina, 2 A/C going full out can just keep up. When one died on a 100 degree day the temp shot up to 120 in minutes. Not good for a pregnant wife.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 00:13   #94

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Charging laptops and power tool batteries should be done from Solar Cells. They are reasonably priced now, silent, and very reliable. A Generator may still be useful, but not so often, probably rarely unless decent mains output is required.
A couple of panels will keep the batteries fresh, allowing lighting at night, laptop charging, and a battery top up every day.
The arrangement should be moveable to your dinghy/lifeboat just in case. You'll need to keep your handhelds etc charged up if you spend any time in your escape pod. Even if it's just camping on a beach for a few days as a change from life aboard.
Old 26-09-2010, 15:48   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
How you can tell a Buyer's from a Seller's Market

Just count all the wishfull dreamers on both sides here on Cruiser's Forum...

So it's really a SELLERS MARKET!

All these predictions of lower cat prices have not come true, even when large Markets, such as Residential and Commercial Real Estate, Stocks and Funds have tanked. These markets have large numbers of trades, and it is possible to measure trends and external effects. This is patently impossible in the luxury markets; there just are not enough data points to say anything remotely accurate about it. Nobody HAS to buy a boat, antique, or collector vehicle. And someone who had the money to buy one in the first place is not likely to HAVE to sell it right now. Someone with a non charter boat could care less what the Moorings is getting for four heads and a working jib.

So you are all whistling in the dark, encouraging each other, when only one or two of you are going to find the rare forced sale.

If you want a boat now, don't try to buy one you can't afford. Go smaller, go sooner.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 19:38   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post

Sandy, you wouldn't be in the boat selling game by any chance?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 19:46   #97

Just returned from a few days out on Moreton Bay onboard a mate's lovely 40 ft Mashford (custom) cat. He bought it locally earlier this year for $110,000 less than originally advertised 12 months ago.

Must be one of those rare forced sales that we are whistling in the dark for!
Old 26-09-2010, 19:52   #98

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Good advise as always Sandy, there is however several different markets in play here in different parts of the world.
Economists are now talking about two levels of economies in the world.
It appears that the USA may be heading where Australia went in the 80s with a devaluing currency. This will possibly mean that boat prices will start to rise as the cost of imported boats rise.
This is really a “wait and see” issue, if anyone knows the answer they don't need to worry about the price of anything.
Australia is in a different market being linked to China and India with its supply of in demand resources like iron ore and coking coal.
The Australian market after years of a low AUD and relative isolation the Aussie market has held year prices very high for many years with boats actually appreciating in value as new boat prices went higher and higher.
But now the cost of new imported boats are coming down and there are wide spread reports of Aussie buyers going on shopping trips to the USA buying boats.
If this doesn’t bring down the cost of cats in Australia nothing will.
Just for the record Sandy I started thinking small at 25 feet and am now looking at 40 feet.
I really didn’t want to go this big but the numbers on the spreadsheet and the prospect of an ocean crossing are pushing me there.
I’m not looking to get a bargain from some poor bankrupt I just want to pay the fair market price.
The main worry I have now is will it be worth bringing a boat over if the local market falls to a comparable level with what it costs to bring a boat in myself.
Someone once said the purpose of economic forecasting was to make astrology look respectable!
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 12:46   #99

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
that's actually what holds up the prices of boats, versus something like a house. A house in a depressed economy where the jobs have failed really doesn't have a bottom valuation (Wayne county home prices have devalued 50 years in price to $15,000). The market for houses is limited to the people who actually want to live there, and that's limited by jobs, environmental concerns, availability of credit, etc.

But a boat is an asset that can be bought from individuals across country and transnationally, this global demand helps create stability. The biggest issues affecting the price of boats is the 30% instant devaluation from new to used (most potential buyers would rather buy new if the price of used boat isn't discounted by at least 30% from new).
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 13:34   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Not sure about cats, but Beneteau in France have just reported 16% increase in sales over the past year, so someone has money for new boats. UK prices have been kept high because Europeans have been buying our second hand boats to take home after the sterling to Euro rate changed making our second hand boats much cheaper here.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 15:12   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Just returned from a few days out on Moreton Bay onboard a mate's lovely 40 ft Mashford (custom) cat. He bought it locally earlier this year for $110,000 less than originally advertised 12 months ago.

Must be one of those rare forced sales that we are whistling in the dark for!
Was that "Take a Bow"
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:21   #102

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post

CNN-Superyacht Prices Plummet as Recession Hits
Super-yacht prices plummet as recession hits - CNN.com

WSJ-Yacht Prices Sinking Fast
Yacht Prices Sinking Fast - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Sellers Market? Are you serious? Or a yacht broker....

Aside from the few snippets above, I've read CLSA analyst studies looking at the relative merits of classic cars, fine wines, art, yachts etc. during recessions. It will come as no surprise to most that they go up and down in price like everything else.

I'm guessing there are few 'super-rich' on this forum. And I suspect only the super-rich don't feel the pinch during hard times.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 18:41   #103

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not sure about cats, but Beneteau in France have just reported 16% increase in sales over the past year, so someone has money for new boats. UK prices have been kept high because Europeans have been buying our second hand boats to take home after the sterling to Euro rate changed making our second hand boats much cheaper here.

Pete
I dare say the plumeting euro has helped their sales figures, I wonder if those sales were at the expense of a compeditor or from an increase in the market as a whole?
As for being a seller's market?
Perhas time for a medication change?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 21:24   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Was that "Take a Bow"
No, "Qcat", now moored in Cabbage Tree Creek.
Old 27-09-2010, 23:28   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Ah Yes - I know Q Cat well, lovely boat and very well built by Rick.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote