Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 09:41   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not saying anything wrong with the above companies / links (I don't know / don't care) - but something to bear in mind when sending hard earned (?!) cash into the ether:-

"Crown Currency Exchange, one of the UK's biggest foreign exchange websites, has collapsed...........Administrators MCR said that an estimated 13,000 consumers would be directly affected"

BBC News - Crown Currency Exchange collapses

Not exactly a new story. even where honesty involved

Probably not the ideal place to caution that not everything on the internet is real, but..........
that's scary - keeping my money with Lehman Brothers then.
I use the Forex for hedging, but mainly to pass the cash thru from "real" aussie bank to "real" US bank. (which are too big to fail).
Seriously, one of the reasons I'm buying a boat is to get my money out of the banks....
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 14:32   #137

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
AllezCat,

Great idea getting your money out of the banks and the boat makes a great exit strategy. Noticed you're looking for a 50' boat and thought I might throw out an idea you might not have considered. If you live in NY, you live in one of the few places in the world that you can transit the entire coast of a continent (Key West to NJ), without having to be in rough seas and bad weather, namely the IntraCoastal Waterway (ICW). Pop out of an inlet when weathers good and pop back in to pull up to a waterfront bar when weather is bad. Secluded and protected anchorages everywhere.

However, if you go to a 50' boat, your mast height and draft will eliminate the ICW option. ALL fixed bridges are 65' or greater, except 1 in NJ and 1 in N. Miami. Where else in the world can you transit the coast of a continent, with an inside or outside option? Of all the travels I've done, I would put the ICW up there with the best!

The 44' PDQ has a mast under 65'. I have a Lagoon 380 with a mast height of 58' + antenna. I wouldn't consider a boat that precluded use of the ICW, but then I live on it in Florida.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 04:54   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
AllezCat,

Great idea getting your money out of the banks and the boat makes a great exit strategy. Noticed you're looking for a 50' boat and thought I might throw out an idea you might not have considered. If you live in NY, you live in one of the few places in the world that you can transit the entire coast of a continent (Key West to NJ), without having to be in rough seas and bad weather, namely the IntraCoastal Waterway (ICW). Pop out of an inlet when weathers good and pop back in to pull up to a waterfront bar when weather is bad. Secluded and protected anchorages everywhere.

However, if you go to a 50' boat, your mast height and draft will eliminate the ICW option. ALL fixed bridges are 65' or greater, except 1 in NJ and 1 in N. Miami. Where else in the world can you transit the coast of a continent, with an inside or outside option? Of all the travels I've done, I would put the ICW up there with the best!

The 44' PDQ has a mast under 65'. I have a Lagoon 380 with a mast height of 58' + antenna. I wouldn't consider a boat that precluded use of the ICW, but then I live on it in Florida.
I agree with you, I spent a year cruising the east coast with a sub 65' mast. Was really awesome. Even snuck in behind fire island.
There is a cat for sale with a customized(smaller) rig just for that purpose.
And I am thinking about it. The boat cost is sooo much greater, at least double, from a 42' to a 50'...
Old 23-10-2010, 09:37   #139

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Another thought relative to larger boats. The Lagoon 380 has nice sized cockpit, salon, 2 heads and livable staterooms. After touring larger cats at the boat shows I've found the Owner's suite on an Owner's Version Lagoon 380 very comparable to larger cats, less a couch in the middle of the suite, that I wouldn't have any use for (except to pile cloths and stuff on). We don't hang out down in the cabins much. When awake, we're in the salon or cockpit.

From 40' to approx 50' cats, you get the same aforementioned items, plus another head (more head maintenance, but good for charter), although all of the items are larger, particularly the salon and cockpit. So for approx double the money, you're not getting more cabins or items, just larger. However, you're giving up the ICW and adding a lot of boat handling problems. An 850 sq.ft. sail area is a lot easier to single hand than a 1200 sq.ft. sail area. I single hand, so a smaller boat is an easier boat to handle for me. Contrary to our American mentality where bigger is better, in my humble opinion, for someone single handling a sail boat, smaller is easier and better.

Regarding a Cut Down rig, now you've under powered the boat, relative to it's designed performance. I was glad to see that the new Lagoon 40' had a 70' mast, because then I knew that I didn't want it. I dread the thought of having to add all of my extras to a stripped down new boat. Don't want to go through that again.

If I was going to travel around the world, sailing across oceans, I would be interested in a bigger boat, mostly to haul more stuff. However, with the money I save keeping the 380, I could hire Dockwise to haul me everywhere in the world twice (airfare included) and just fly there to back my boat off the transport ship!!

Thanks for letting me talk myself into keeping what I've got, because I'm headed to the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show next week and am a little afraid of my impulses.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 15:03   #140

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
If I was a USD based buyer looking for a new boat I would get in quick, prices are probably going to rise for a while.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49   #141

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I now have an offer on mine which is likely to go through. the advantage of using a broker is that they know what they are doing. Mine set the price, got an offer near that price, and will handle nearly all of the technical and legal stuff. At a price of course. But I doubt I could have put up with the time wasters looking to profit from my ignorance.
The asking price now is the same as I paid two years ago. Just as a guide. She's a tidy, near original boat. I've made some detail improvements but nothing significant.
The buyers are looking for a next step up boat to do the french canals and some med cruising. I will leave details of this forum on board, and the Prout Group run by Mr Briant that has loads of european info on it, and prout stuff in particular.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42   #142

Congratulations, you've done very well to sell for the same price you paid two years ago, I assume it was pre GFC.

The boats that I'm looking at have, I believe stabilized at their lower price and I'm seeing vendors starting to list their boats near that mark.
So I'm hoping my buyers broker can negotiate a good deal for me.
As I'm seeing the real deals are not listed on Yachtworld or if they are it's not till after they're sold.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Another thought relative to larger boats. The Lagoon 380 has nice sized cockpit, salon, 2 heads and livable staterooms. After touring larger cats at the boat shows I've found the Owner's suite on an Owner's Version Lagoon 380 very comparable to larger cats, less a couch in the middle of the suite, that I wouldn't have any use for (except to pile cloths and stuff on). We don't hang out down in the cabins much. When awake, we're in the salon or cockpit.

From 40' to approx 50' cats, you get the same aforementioned items, plus another head (more head maintenance, but good for charter), although all of the items are larger, particularly the salon and cockpit. So for approx double the money, you're not getting more cabins or items, just larger. However, you're giving up the ICW and adding a lot of boat handling problems. An 850 sq.ft. sail area is a lot easier to single hand than a 1200 sq.ft. sail area. I single hand, so a smaller boat is an easier boat to handle for me. Contrary to our American mentality where bigger is better, in my humble opinion, for someone single handling a sail boat, smaller is easier and better.

Regarding a Cut Down rig, now you've under powered the boat, relative to it's designed performance. I was glad to see that the new Lagoon 40' had a 70' mast, because then I knew that I didn't want it. I dread the thought of having to add all of my extras to a stripped down new boat. Don't want to go through that again.

If I was going to travel around the world, sailing across oceans, I would be interested in a bigger boat, mostly to haul more stuff. However, with the money I save keeping the 380, I could hire Dockwise to haul me everywhere in the world twice (airfare included) and just fly there to back my boat off the transport ship!!

Thanks for letting me talk myself into keeping what I've got, because I'm headed to the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show next week and am a little afraid of my impulses.
I agree with you on most points. I was considering a venezia 42 which looked great.
But I intend to live-aboard for 10 years and do lots of long distance/ high latitude stuff. So I wanted 50+, and once you are past 65' mast height - why compromise.
Signed contract yesterday...
The paperwork begins...
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24   #144
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
ICW and mast height,,,I had the factory refigure my mast to allow the 65' bridges and extend the boom and roach to give the same sail area for my 50' cat and I can tell you what a pleasure it is to travel the ICW during rough seas. The looks I get from folks along the waterway are of great suprise as the rarely see such a big boat pass by.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:13   #145

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig boorman View Post
ICW and mast height,,,I had the factory refigure my mast to allow the 65' bridges and extend the boom and roach to give the same sail area for my 50' cat and I can tell you what a pleasure it is to travel the ICW during rough seas. The looks I get from folks along the waterway are of great suprise as the rarely see such a big boat pass by.

That is a big one.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:37   #146

So did you get a good deal on your Catana?
Or did your heart win out, they are certainly nice cats. If I wasn't on a budget they would be on my shopping list.
Old 01-11-2010, 15:40   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
So did you get a good deal on your Catana?
Or did your heart win out, they are certainly nice cats. If I wasn't on a budget they would be on my shopping list.
I'm happy.
But only signed today - will not even see it till next Week.
Will discuss more when finalized - don't want to put the kibosh on it...
Old 01-11-2010, 23:25   #148

Fair call I hope it goes well for you.
Old 06-11-2010, 23:04   #149

Hi,

the solution is to place themselves on the Asian market because in the future it will increasing.if you are a seller of catamarans do not hesitate to contact me, I would be present at the Shangai boatshow
piete69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 16:07   #150

Boat: Ross 650
Send a message via Skype™ to Geminiguy
Hi Guys, this is my first post so please be patient with me. I'm seriously considering selling my house and whilst the Aussie dollar is so high, buying a boat overseas. If my finances extend to one, I'd prefer a cat in the 38' to 44' bracket which I can use as a liveaboard upon my return to Aust. Failing that, a nice mono around 44' or so would be my alternative.

My plan would be to travel to whereever the boat is, carry out an inspection and sea trials and then sail it back to Australia. I'm just starting to learn about some of the costs such as duty(5%) and GST(10% on 'everything' including the duty and any costs associated with the delivery trip.) Traversing the Panama canal (if the boat comes out of the Carribean). Also things like buying a boat already wired for 220/240 volts as I been told that 110 volt wiring is not accepted in Australia as it isn't double insulted and would rewiring the entire boat?

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any tips and comments and information which could help me in my quest.
Geminiguy is offline   Reply With Quote