Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 12:49   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose MK1
Hi Chris,
You couldn't have picked a more perfect boat for the Med, Iv'e ciused from Gib to Italy in a Cat, cruising the Spanish coast I opted for marinas on many occasions and although tricky in places due to there being few available berths in some marinas, by en large, I had very few problems, but where a cat comes into here own is when its time to anchor and while all the mono's are rolling like pigs, the cats have a very comfortable stay at anchorage. I anchored off almost every evening while cruising the French and Italian Med coast and I can't count the number of people who spent the evening aboard our boat because there's was rolling too much. Your shallow draft will come in usefull when all the deep anchorages are taken by the big mono's along the Cote d Azure and you can anchor in shallow water and practicaly wade ashore. And on the balmy evenings when Mono crews are sitting in thier cramped cockpits, you can lounge under you sunshade with enough room for you and and all the other crews that will inevertably end the evening on your spacious boat.
Go Catamaran, but go for it!
Mike T.
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:30   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Sunreef Island

chris1957,

You did not say what size, so lets just use the smallest Sunreef 58 Loa X 30 beam.
Safty - That Cat is made for the big blue offshore. Just reef like the manual tells you.
Berthing in the Med. - Chris you own an ISLAND now. Get the best ground tackle there is and anchor in the harbors.

Oh, and by the way. Everyone that just posted a reply to your thread is drooling. Is this guy for real ? I wonder if he may need a helping hand with that Sunreef "". Scratch that thought. Have a GREAT TRIP.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 10:59   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to dean.collins
I'm a long way off buying a catamaran but love the look of the sunreefs. fingers crossed and tech world going well this is exactly what i'm looking at. Anyone know of any "owner" sites online?
dean.collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 07:46   #19

Boat: Leopard 47 Power Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1957 View Post
I am moving from mono to a sunreef cat. I have some trepidation about this move. The reasons are.
1.How safe are they in open ocean crossings
2.Berthing in the Med and associated areas.

I have listened to a number of mono and cat owners and I have great difficulty in sorting the facts. This may be one of the suck it and see questions. However my wife wants a cat. So I would be very greatfull to get some truth on the above questions.

I am convinced that the cat is a good option for my home. which is Far North Queensland Australia, but we want to spend two years doing Baltic to Med etc
chris1957
Hi Chris.

Regarding Berthing in the summer is always a problem for cats in the med and in the winter it is still a problem if you want to keep it in France, Mallorca and Italy. On mainland Spain there are many marinas shouting out for boats. If you keep the boat here in for the winter and pay 3 months in advance you get up to 30% discount. In Valencia the rates are about 550 Euros per month for a 47 foot Cat. There is a mono hull motor yacht of 35 meters paying 40 Euros a Day. Good Luck with your Sunreef.
BloggerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:03   #20

Boat: A few!
Hi Chris,

How are you getting on with your plans? Did you ever buy the Sunreef?
Tom
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote