Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2022, 00:33   #181
Registered User
 
Heath68's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Posts: 532
Images: 1
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuChante View Post
I've always been curious about the extreme lack of cats out there. It's probably due to the obvious downsides of cats... higher price tag, marina and haul-out price and availability. I'd like to hear from folks who switched to cats (I imagine no one started with a cat) and liked it, and especially from folks who switched back to monohull.


Are the above issues the main deciding factors? It seems that cats are far superior other than those. It seems that they have an incredible amount of room. Even the old Gemini cats are mansions compared to my Hunter 31, and they still fit in a regular slip. It also seems like a plus to walk about the boat rather than climb... heeling and all.
Wow... that all took some reading. FWIW we did start with a cat, the motion on the mono we did our training on made the Admiral sea sick... we've had a lot less (virtually none) of these problems with our 48ft cat.

We knew it would cost more to own but when some say its more to look after we see it as more redundancy... I can still motor using one engine whilst working out how to fix the other... same goes for toilets. It would take a lot more money than we will ever have for us to afford a better boat than we have, so that makes it perfect for us. Despite our complete lack of experience and very limited knowledge we plan to circumnavigate so we bought a boat that would be better than our sailing ability and would do that.

Despite some of the disagreements in here most would probably agree that it's horses for courses... when we say our 1st boat is a 48ft bluewater cat, some people look surprised.. but we see it that we want to go now, so get whats needed and get on with it.

Fair Winds
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 00:40   #182
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Posts: 6,441
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

While Phil went with the Lasers, I raced the Hobie 14 for 10 years, which I considered a breakthrough boat. It was faster and more stable than the Laser, until suddenly it was upside down. Great fun, because I could right it myself.

Locally, we race in the open sea, and multi racing really hasn't taken off. There were a couple of multis entered in the local races a few years ago, but there were a few spectacular capsizes and near capsizes, and only one boat came out this year.

The near and offshore races on the West Coast have invited multihulls for at least the past 5 years, but participation has been limited to a handful of boats, mostly the Mod 70's and Gunboats. The word on the docks was that one of the Gunboats had a close call in a Transpac squall one night and they haven't been back. It wasn't as well documented, but this is the type of experience I mean



On the other hand the sled mono class is thriving, with 10 boats already signed up for next year's Transpac. Even Roy Disney has gotten tired of going really fast on his Volvo 70 and entered a sled. The racing will be close and these boats are a joy to sail. Although I have aged out of the racing scene I am looking forward to delivering one of them back to the mainland next year.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 02:54   #183
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 2,097
Images: 2
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Maybe that is the difference. I personally have absolutely no interest at all in racing. But I am an engineer and the pleasure for me is in the machine. A multihull is the coming together of hydrodynamics, aerodynamics, structural engineering and materials technology which is a beautiful thing to see in action, a monohull is not. As is proven if nothing else by the dominance of multis in the racing world. We regularly achieve days of 200Nm plus when passaging with low human stress levels as either one of us can run the boat while the other sleeps and we can cook regular meals in virtually all conditions.

Everyone is still very welcome on board for a beer when we are at anchor regardless of what you sail.

Maybe if I was a little younger and a lot richer I would opt for an Eagle Class 53 cruiser. There it is again multis are expensive.

https://vimeo.com/323492398?embedded...&owner=3722376

"Owners have the choice of a variety of performance options, including the option of a standard rig or Hybrid Wing. The Eagle Class 53T is a turbo-charged version of the Eagle Class 53. Standard C-foils are replaced with carbon fiber T-foils creating a platform which foils at very low wind speeds and significantly increases the speed potential of the boat in medium to heavy wind conditions. The 53T also comes equipped with our fully automated foiling control system. The possibilities are endless"

https://www.fastforwardcomposites.co...an-eagle-class
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 03:01   #184
Registered User
 
chrisr's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Somewhere in French Polynesia
Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Posts: 2,305
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Maybe that is the difference. I personally have absolutely no interest at all in racing. But I am an engineer and the pleasure for me is in the machine. A multihull is the coming together of hydrodynamics, aerodynamics, structural engineering and materials technology which is a beautiful thing to see in action, a monohull is not. As is proven if nothing else by the dominance of multis in the racing world. We regularly achieve days of 200Nm plus when passaging with low human stress levels as either one of us can run the boat while the other sleeps and we can cook regular meals in virtually all conditions.

Everyone is still very welcome on board for a beer when we are at anchor regardless of what you sail.

Maybe if I was a little younger and a lot richer I would opt for an Eagle Class 53 cruiser. There it is again multis are expensive.

https://vimeo.com/323492398?embedded...&owner=3722376

"Owners have the choice of a variety of performance options, including the option of a standard rig or Hybrid Wing. The Eagle Class 53T is a turbo-charged version of the Eagle Class 53. Standard C-foils are replaced with carbon fiber T-foils creating a platform which foils at very low wind speeds and significantly increases the speed potential of the boat in medium to heavy wind conditions. The 53T also comes equipped with our fully automated foiling control system. The possibilities are endless"

https://www.fastforwardcomposites.co...an-eagle-class
wonderful looking machine - for daysailing.

but we obviously have vastly different ideas as to what constitutes a cruising catamaran !

cheers,
__________________
"home is where the anchor drops"...living onboard in French Polynesia...maintaining social distancing
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 03:14   #185
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 2,097
Images: 2
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
wonderful looking machine - for daysailing.

but we obviously have vastly different ideas as to what constitutes a cruising catamaran !

cheers,
Yeah.... probably limited on storage space and dive gear would be an issue.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 04:04   #186
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 2,097
Images: 2
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Yeah.... probably limited on storage space and dive gear would be an issue.

Hell I'll rent dive gear.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 05:21   #187
Senior Cruiser
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 30,366
Images: 2
pirate Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Semen
Or that..
Its a real compliment when a woman reckons I'm Spunky..
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 05:21   #188
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: forest city
Boat: no boat any more
Posts: 2,495
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

...I am still waiting for the catamaran proponents to come forward with their candidate:
for the same money
with the same payload
to be a better bluewater cruiser than a mono
(please: build-quality, equipment, if used: age & state of upkeep being the same!)
I am listening!
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 05:24   #189
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: forest city
Boat: no boat any more
Posts: 2,495
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

& to concede two points:
in swelly anchorages
in a dead calm at sea
MUCH better motion on a cat than a mono, much!
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 05:26   #190
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Posts: 2,097
Images: 2
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...I am still waiting for the catamaran proponents to come forward with their candidate:
for the same money
with the same payload
to be a better bluewater cruiser than a mono
(please: build-quality, equipment, if used: age & state of upkeep being the same!)
I am listening!

I believe I have the perfect solution. I need a friend with a sturdy monohull that enjoys sailing slowly. I can put all my gear on his boat and meet him at our destination. I can suss out the dive sites and test all the restaurants so we can visit the best ones together when he arrives. All the parties can be held jointly on my boat.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 05:28   #191
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: forest city
Boat: no boat any more
Posts: 2,495
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I believe I have the perfect solution. I need a friend with a sturdy monohull that enjoys sailing slowly. I can put all my gear on his boat and meet him at our destination. I can suss out the dive sites and test all the restaurants so we can visit the best ones together when he arrives. All the parties can be held jointly on my boat.
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 07:04   #192
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 171
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...I am still waiting for the catamaran proponents to come forward with their candidate:
for the same money
with the same payload
to be a better bluewater cruiser than a mono
(please: build-quality, equipment, if used: age & state of upkeep being the same!)
I am listening!
HH55 or Balance 526, for a cruising couple would carry far more gear than needed, sail circles around any blue water monohull, are constructed of superior materials, can easily mount 3.5kW of Solar allowing off-grid livingÖ.the advantages just go on an on. Ripping off consistent 260 mile days for weeks at a time, being able to sail in light winds instead of motoring, makes these two cats stand out although there are definitely others in this category as well.

The monohulls I compared these with were the Oyster 565, HR 50, and Amel 60, which both were awesome boats, they just didnít compare in the livability category. Itís just nice to not even have to break a sweat sailing 14 knots in 16 knots of true wind.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 08:04   #193
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: forest city
Boat: no boat any more
Posts: 2,495
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
HH55 or Balance 526, for a cruising couple would carry far more gear than needed, sail circles around any blue water monohull, are constructed of superior materials, can easily mount 3.5kW of Solar allowing off-grid livingÖ.the advantages just go on an on. Ripping off consistent 260 mile days for weeks at a time, being able to sail in light winds instead of motoring, makes these two cats stand out although there are definitely others in this category as well.

The monohulls I compared these with were the Oyster 565, HR 50, and Amel 60, which both were awesome boats, they just didnít compare in the livability category. Itís just nice to not even have to break a sweat sailing 14 knots in 16 knots of true wind.
So you have to get into the 2,8 to 3Mio$ range to get a cat better than a mono?
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 08:09   #194
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: TRT 1200
Posts: 7,236
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
So you have to get into the 2,8 to 3Mio$ range to get a cat better than a mono?


I paid $35k for a cat thatís better than any mono, of course this is just my opinion and wouldnít think everyone would agree with my opinion.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 08:16   #195
Registered User
 
carlosproa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami
Boat: EDELCAT33
Posts: 857
Images: 2
Re: Catamaran vs Monohull... advantages, disadvantages?

10 pages of nonsense and counting hahahaha.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ketch Advantages/Disadvantages avb3 Monohull Sailboats 31 07-08-2019 10:21
Advantages and disadvantages of cats for solo sailing Srah 1953 Multihull Sailboats 48 09-07-2019 07:47
Advantages/disadvantages of electric toilets? Srah 1953 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 13 21-11-2012 10:00
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Ferro Cement ? Captain-Shawn28 Monohull Sailboats 2 08-03-2011 22:23
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Canoe Sterns or Double-Enders ? Johnathon123 Monohull Sailboats 32 14-10-2010 17:42

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.