Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 16:13   #541

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: Catamaran tacking angles , really that bad???

Hi

Could I please divert this thread slightly from some of this silliness, and respond to original poster who mentioned the performance (or non performance ) of the Helia.

I have moved from the Helia to a Lightwave 45 and the performance difference is obvious.

However, having just returned from 6 weeks away I was struck by the small number of times that conditions prevailed where this difference was of any serious significance.

Basically, the difference prevails at winds of say 5-15kn at all sailable wind angles, which when one also allows for time at anchor is not a significant amount of time.

Yes, you can sail faster in a performance boat at greater than 15kn but generally the sea state is such that for comfort reasons you want to slow the boat.

Further, the disposition of the sailor is important. Uncomfortable conditions are uncomfortable in any type of yacht. They may be less uncomfortable in a performance boat, but personally, I like to avoid them is possible and this means spending a lot of time at anchor in a protected location, which is fine by me, but maybe no so, for the more macho sailors out there.

For me this raises the general question of real tradeoffs. As an example, I have come to the conclusion that I am not prepared to trade off sleeping in an athwartship bed where I cannot sit up and feels like I am sleeping in a coffin in return for performance. In the Helia this was not a problem.

Load capacity is also a very real issue as well. I find that as I add weight performance suffers materially moreso that it did in the Helia.

The conclusion I come to is that a 50 ft boat (such as the O51) is more appropriate to my needs if I want a performance boat, this of course requiring a significantly higher budget.

I do not believe you can have a serious discussion about the suitability of a particular type of boat until such time as the detailed usage of said yacht; the general disposition of the owners is considered in detail; and his affordability quotient is known.

To talk about performance without linkage to the needs and applicable usage and available funds of any given owner, and more importantly his or her partner, is folly.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 00:03   #542

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Hi

Could I please divert this thread slightly from some of this silliness, and respond to original poster who mentioned the performance (or non performance ) of the Helia.

I have moved from the Helia to a Lightwave 45 and the performance difference is obvious.

This all very well but is the TACKING angle better? or in answer to the OP are the tacking angles really that bad?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:04   #543

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowNlow View Post
Has there ever been a bay-race with a cruising cat fleet? GBCA cant even get them out for the pursuit-style rum-races. I've only seen big cats participate in Harvest Moon and my perception is that most if not all are simply pleased to sail down the coast in a group for a party.

Perhaps that will change as cats continue to increase in numbers (seems they are, aggressively). But to say that anyone with a cruising cat is "serious about competing" in Texas waters might be a stretch?
Yes, for many years we had both a multihull A (Corsair tri) and multihull B (cruising cats) fleet in the Bay Cup series, run on Galveston Bay. I owned a Corsair 28R and then a Seawind 1000 during the period, and raced in both fleets. I have a 2009 trophy for first place in our Seawind 1000. (I can send you a picture if you don't believe me.) I left that area in 2015, so haven't kept up with what has happened since. I also know that large turnout means someone is working the fleet - which used to be me. And when that organizing push is gone, the fleet activity dumps. (And my experience also extends to being Corsair 24 Class President for four years and Corsair 28R One Design Class President for eight years, including four years we were the only multihull fleet racing O/D at Key West Race Week.)

That said, GBCA has NEVER had interest shown by multihulls. Back in the mid 2000's, TOMA actually ran a competing Sat night reverse start race. Don't ask me why, but your GBCA reference as a participating metric is a poor one.

Ok, as for "not serious about competing", we have cruising cats adding Code 0's, oversized screachers, parasailors, square tops, to the sailing inventory. I know, because we have to certify these new sails for ratings. They are not doing that to be slower than their competitors. To me, that is a pretty good gauge. (Plus the questions I field from other boats asking about sail inventories and ratings.) The Harvest Moon multihull C fleet is the largest entry, and has been growing. And there are some with white sails, who do the 150 nm race purely for fun and a cruise to a decent party. But I would say most are putting in effort for a trophy.

Which brings me round-circle to the original point of my post. That there are cruising boats - including Lagoons - that do not have only stock canvas sails, that are sailed competitively. So we know what a well-sailed boat performance looks like. And I would say that some of the performance suggested on this thread is beyond exceptional.

Finally, if you have a cruising cat in the area, and want to see more entry in events, why not get involved and organize the fleet?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:21   #544

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Yes, for many years we had both a multihull A (Corsair tri) and multihull B (cruising cats) fleet in the Bay Cup series, run on Galveston Bay. I owned a Corsair 28R and then a Seawind 1000 during the period, and raced in both fleets. I have a 2009 trophy for first place in our Seawind 1000. (I can send you a picture if you don't believe me.) I left that area in 2015, so haven't kept up with what has happened since. I also know that large turnout means someone is working the fleet - which used to be me. And when that organizing push is gone, the fleet activity dumps. (And my experience also extends to being Corsair 24 Class President for four years and Corsair 28R One Design Class President for eight years, including four years we were the only multihull fleet racing O/D at Key West Race Week.)

That said, GBCA has NEVER had interest shown by multihulls. Back in the mid 2000's, TOMA actually ran a competing Sat night reverse start race. Don't ask me why, but your GBCA reference as a participating metric is a poor one.

Ok, as for "not serious about competing", we have cruising cats adding Code 0's, oversized screachers, parasailors, square tops, to the sailing inventory. I know, because we have to certify these new sails for ratings. They are not doing that to be slower than their competitors. To me, that is a pretty good gauge. (Plus the questions I field from other boats asking about sail inventories and ratings.) The Harvest Moon multihull C fleet is the largest entry, and has been growing. And there are some with white sails, who do the 150 nm race purely for fun and a cruise to a decent party. But I would say most are putting in effort for a trophy.

Which brings me round-circle to the original point of my post. That there are cruising boats - including Lagoons - that do not have only stock canvas sails, that are sailed competitively. So we know what a well-sailed boat performance looks like. And I would say that some of the performance suggested on this thread is beyond exceptional.

Finally, if you have a cruising cat in the area, and want to see more entry in events, why not get involved and organize the fleet?
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran