Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 14:30   #16

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Catamaran Sold Report Q2 2013

Thanks for posting....darn few cats under $100k.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just a note that the data, whilst interesting and insightful, is incomplete, it does not represent ALL cats and tris sold.
...and I would posit that the privately-sold (not-broker) boats had a much larger differential between asking and selling price than the brokered boats at Yachtworld, wouldn't y'all say?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:27   #18

Very interesting data and thanks for sharing.

If you disregard boats with a huge price drop (like the L440 project boat) and boats sold exactly at listing price, the sold price is actually a bit higher than I expected. Without calulating the whole sheet, it seems that the norm is 5-10% below asking rather than 10-20% as I expected and perhaps common perception.

Regarding the boats reported sold at listing price, in most cases I don't think its accurate. Even it sold price is of huge interest of the seller/buyer, this data is primarely collected for the brokers. If I was a broker, the data i would be intersted in is number of sold boats, to get a feel for the market condition. Actual sold price is of little interest for brokers, estate agents, etc. They are driven by turn over.

Just my to cents
Charter Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
...and I would posit that the privately-sold (not-broker) boats had a much larger differential between asking and selling price than the brokered boats at Yachtworld, wouldn't y'all say?
Who would know. What I do know is that the margin between asking and sale price for the boats I sell, is, modally, very very small.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20   #20

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Do you have the same data for monohulls?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32   #21

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Do you have the same data for monohulls?
What is a monohull ?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Thanks Cotemar.

I would like to see more of those.
Old 03-10-2013, 13:16   #23

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

What is a monohull ?
Half a boat.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 14:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
That's impossible to say from the data here. But I'd posit that the difference between selling price and how much the seller actually put in his pocket is much smaller for the privately sold boats, wouldn't you say?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:29   #25
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
the margin between asking and sale price for the boats I sell, is, modally, very very small.
Interesting...and entirely consistent with both your excellent reputation as well as the levels of enquiry and activity we observe around here. The OZ market appears, to us anyway, very much alive.

We wonder, however, whether the same may be said about other geographic markets? We suspect there may still be reasonable differentials in buyer interest and activity as one moves about in different regions of the world...and, if that's so, it may be very difficult to draw any conclusions from general comparisons.

As suggested by Charter Cat, we also view the large numbers of sales at asking prices to be a bit unlikely. So Andrew...even with your acknowledged skills and experience and in this reasonable market, how often would a sale occur at exactly the asking price?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:09   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
So Andrew...even with your acknowledged skills and experience and in this reasonable market, how often would a sale occur at exactly the asking price?
Virtually never. There is usually a pitch at a lower price. It has happened to me once in the last 4 years, that it sold at the ask. And the boat was not a bargain at its asking price, good boat, good price, but not a bargain.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:39   #27

Boat: Lagoon 420

I know there are a lot of cats for sale in the Mediterranean, but interesting there are few showing on the sold list.

For example there are a number of Lagoon 420's in Greece where the economy is down and with lower listing prices. I'd think those purchases could be favorable for the buyers.

Anyone with experience to share on a purchase in the Med?
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 00:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
I know there are a lot of cats for sale in the Mediterranean, but interesting there are few showing on the sold list.

For example there are a number of Lagoon 420's in Greece where the economy is down and with lower listing prices. I'd think those purchases could be favorable for the buyers.

Anyone with experience to share on a purchase in the Med?
I'm soon to buy a catamaran and the L420 is on my shortlist, so I also been watching these boats lying in Greece.

They are however all charter boats so as the owners will be spread accross Europe (some perhaps outside), they shouldn't be tied to the Greece economy.

The European market is probably a bit more seasonal than the North American / carribean market. The European peak boating/charter market is some 9 months away, so there are probably some deals to be made on those boats.
Charter Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47   #29
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

That 1998 Outremer 38 must have been a beauty to have sold for 10K above its asking price! Same as the 2000 FP38!

Since there are a few insiders here, do any of you know what the go was with the extended Schoinning 1420 built in Indo that went for something like $250k? Was it a real POS or what? If not I should have bought it! Normally that would have been close to $400K right?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Well...if the lunatic fringe manages to force the USA into default boats are going to get really cheap (and stocks, bonds, land...)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran