Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2022, 20:57   #61

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: Catamaran Rescue off Ulladulla NSW Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Why? Boats have real owners. Why not just leave them alone?
Leave the owners alone??? What???

Noone is intruding on the owner's privacy & if they are on this forum then everyone would be grateful to be able to hear their experience & hopefully learn from it. Everyone is very pleased that all on board survived this incident & would be able to tell their story unlike some other very unfortunate souls who did not survive similar incidents.

At this stage the owners have not contributed, maybe they are not on the forum or maybe they either are not ready to tell their story or simply don't want to which would be understandable.

Are you saying that if a similar situation happened near you & the vessel was salvaged & was brought into a nearby boatyard that you would not want to take a look at the damage to see what resulted in the loss of the vessel?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:52   #62

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Leave the owners alone??? What???

Noone is intruding on the owner's privacy & if they are on this forum then everyone would be grateful to be able to hear their experience & hopefully learn from it. Everyone is very pleased that all on board survived this incident & would be able to tell their story unlike some other very unfortunate souls who did not survive similar incidents.

At this stage the owners have not contributed, maybe they are not on the forum or maybe they either are not ready to tell their story or simply don't want to which would be understandable.

Are you saying that if a similar situation happened near you & the vessel was salvaged & was brought into a nearby boatyard that you would not want to take a look at the damage to see what resulted in the loss of the vessel?
To answer your last question, "no", I don't go into boatyards and start asking questions about damaged boats.

You say "Noone is intruding on owner's privacy", and if they "simply don't want to (tell their story) which would be understandable." But at the same time you are requesting someone go into the boatyard and take pictures of their boat, and "do further detective work" on your behalf.

And don't act as if you are doing this for the benefit of Seawind owners. Because we have an owner's forum, and this has already been discussed in enough detail for others to understand. And "no", I'm not publishing anything, but instead respecting the owner's privacy. Read again what Factor posted regarding what happened. I suspect you have a somewhat embarrassed, new owner. Just let it go.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 13:35   #63

Sailjumanji.... following your rationale then no one should ever post anything on this forum or comment about incidents at sea but of course we all know that this is not the case is it? Just like the thread about the superyacht Utopia IV colliding & sinking the tanker in the Bahamas. A very embarrassing incident for the Master & owner.

In the Seawind's case it was not the fault of the owners to collide with a huge sunfish & as I said it is fantastic that they all survived with no injuries as well.

I am well aware of Factor's previous comments & that there is a Seawind owners forum but if you don't think that owners or prospective owners can learn from this discussion that's fine with me. Let's just agree to disagree & move on.
Old 02-01-2022, 14:47   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My opinion: Investigating and reporting upon the persons involved and their actions in the incident is invasive of privacy. Investigating and reporting upon the physical damage and the factors that lead the boat to be lost is not, and deserves to be in the general knowledge base. Confining the distribution of that knowledge to the owners group does not serve the overall sailing community, folks who can benefit from it despite not owning identical boats.

Jim
Old 02-01-2022, 14:52   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My opinion: Investigating and reporting upon the persons involved and their actions in the incident is invasive of privacy. Investigating and reporting upon the physical damage and the factors that lead the boat to be lost is not, and deserves to be in the general knowledge base. Confining the distribution of that knowledge to the owners group does not serve the overall sailing community, folks who can benefit from it despite not owning identical boats.

Jim
Yes Jim, I totally agree & your comments perfectly reflect my thoughts on this matter too.
Old 02-01-2022, 15:34   #66

Boat: Oram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Yes Jim, I totally agree & your comments perfectly reflect my thoughts on this matter too.
Whether we like it or not the truth always comes out in the end
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 16:34   #67

Go back and read what Factor posted. Pretty much sums it up. Statement from the owners.
Old 02-01-2022, 16:51   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Go back and read what Factor posted. Pretty much sums it up. Statement from the owners.
Yes, as I mentioned before I am well aware of Factor's previous comment(s) but for the benefit of other CF readers following this thread I will paste it below to save them the trouble of going to look for it.

I am not for one moment criticising ANY actions that the owners took on that fatefull day. I think that if I was in their same situation I would want to inspect the damage after a collision as well. I would think that most prudent skippers would as well.

Here is the text pasted from Factor's previous post...

From the boat - motorsailing at 8 knots, hit very very large sunfish, caused significant damage around starboard rudder post area, water ingress was serious but manageable initially but crew removed the aft bulkhead to inspect damage which allowed the water to flow in much faster, and pumps could not keep up.
Old 02-01-2022, 16:56   #69

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
From the boat - motorsailing at 8 knots, hit very very large sunfish, caused significant damage around starboard rudder post area, water ingress was serious but manageable initially but crew removed the aft bulkhead to inspect damage which allowed the water to flow in much faster, and pumps could not keep up.

^^^^Just posting this here, for anyone wanting a recap. It was on p. 2 of the thread.

It is a very rare new owner who would come up here after this sort of incident. It's almost unimagineable how very devastating the loss of a boat is, even when it is just an accident. When you start feeling judgmental about it, just remember you weren't there, you didn't just discover you unintentionally trashed your new boat. What we have here is a chance to be kind to someone who had a real yucky experience.

Ann

It would be possible to install water tight access ports in such bulkheads, but it would add to weight and to costs.
Old 02-01-2022, 18:14   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
^^^^Just posting this here, for anyone wanting a recap. It was on p. 2 of the thread.

It is a very rare new owner who would come up here after this sort of incident. It's almost unimagineable how very devastating the loss of a boat is, even when it is just an accident. When you start feeling judgmental about it, just remember you weren't there, you didn't just discover you unintentionally trashed your new boat. What we have here is a chance to be kind to someone who had a real yucky experience.

Ann

It would be possible to install water tight access ports in such bulkheads, but it would add to weight and to costs.
Which was my point. I suspect the owner is embarrassed by what happened, among other things. Soliciting someone to go into the boatyard and take pictures, and "do further detective work", and as someone else posted "the truth always comes out in the end" - as if the owner didn't already provide the truth. That's all just wrong. Give the guy some privacy.
Old 02-01-2022, 21:02   #71

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Give the guy some privacy.
"The guy" gets privacy, but the boat, on public display in the boat yard, does not get or deserve such consideration. None of us are suggesting rubbing the owner's nose in the dirt or such.

Jim
Old 02-01-2022, 22:43   #72

Analysis of maritime incidents is a good thing as it can provide information to make all our boats safer.

It would be great to get the owners comments.
Currently some things don’t add up that are being trotted out as facts.
This then calls the other so called facts into question.

Did the similar recent filmed sinking of the Manta cat get discussed on these boards?
Sadly I can’t seem to copy the FB link surely someone else can.
Posted 13 Dec , Sailing Australia FB.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:42   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
"The guy" gets privacy, but the boat, on public display in the boat yard, does not get or deserve such consideration. None of us are suggesting rubbing the owner's nose in the dirt or such.

Jim
Hmm, guess boat yards there are different than in the States. Here, the yards are private. If you don't have a boat there with work going on, you will be asked to leave.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:02   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
It would be great to get the owners comments.
Currently some things don’t add up that are being trotted out as facts.
This then calls the other so called facts into question.
"From the boat" already posted. But to you, it doesn't add up. It's now "so called facts". Huge coverup. Owner guilty of something, obviously. Embarrassment is not good enough.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:25   #75

Another thing to consider. How many of you think it would be smart for the owner to make public statements and answer questions on a web forum, before settling with the insurance company? And whatever investigation they will be doing.

Tags
Australia, catamaran, rescue