Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 14:04   #46

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: Catamaran Rescue off Ulladulla NSW Australia

Gday Jim

Seawinds have a fair bit of trim inside them and are pretty packed with custom mouldings and all the rest. This would make them a little hard to get back to new if they have been inverted for a while offshore. If it was in a lake, I reckon you could quickly get one back up and washed out, but a few days inverted in a seaway with the water rushing around inside would not be good for the interior.

The structure should be fine. I am still worried about the watertight bulkheads though. They are not much use if they are not fully watertight. Of course, if the rudder was bent, then steering may have been impossible and then the crew may have removed the bulkhead to get to the steering. I don't know if this happened, but a cat can sail fine on one rudder so it makes no sense to remove the bulkhead unless the rudder was jammed.

The designer of my cat, a very experienced sailor, used to make a cup of tea if something bad happened. He said it made him stop and think about the best way to tackle an issue. We can now see the crew made a mistake removing the bulkhead - easy in hindsight. But what to do with a rudder bent over is a real issue. In am unsure what I would do in the same situation, maybe heave to, make a drogue, and ask for a slow tow to Batemans.

Alternatively - the tiller bar could be disconnected and the other rudder put in the opposite direction and then she may be able to motor slowly in to port under her own steam, with a small drogue (all cats should have a drogue) out the back led to a bridle, the bridle arms led to the winches.

When we hit a sunfish and lost our rudder 40 miles off Eden, we used the old
washboard on a kite pole trick. It was useless. In the end I undid the tiller extension, pulled the kite pole more vertical, lashed its upped end to the backstay and with the extension through the parrot beak turned it like a tiller. It was awful and out of the 6 crew only 3 of us could keep within 45 degrees of course, warp out the back and all. But we made it to Eden hours before a southerly came in on our own steam.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 14:05   #47

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
If correct can we assume any insurance contract void?

If not correct total loss will be paid out ?
The bulkhead in the aft cabin has to be removed firstly to get access to the rudder & steerage compartment to inspect the damage then take action to try & slow the water ingress to save the vessel. I would think that most owners who found themself in such a situation would do the same thing. But I am sure that Seawind 1000 owners will be taking note of this incident. It seems like one of those classic damned if you do damned if you don't situations.

The owners were doing what they thought best to save their vessel.

Jim....I agree about the issue of the rig & the Batemans Bay bar, maybe the salvage crew were able to flip her back over, difficult but possible.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 14:26   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If I remember correctly the Seawind 1000 has a partial watertight bulkhead in the rudder compartment, meaning the bulkhead may come up 3’ above waterline then has a removable access panel. Whether the water got above the bulkhead is a question, and whether my memory can be trusted is another.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 14:34   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The owners were doing what they thought best to save their vessel.
I agree with this, and I think this would not negate insurance cover (at least from a legit insurer). Attempting to save the vessel does not constitute negligence IMO.

As an aside, I think having good access to the steering gear is an important design feature, along with the bulkhead to isolate leakage from the rudder post or a hole caused by a rudder strike. In a mono this is possible... and is designed into our boat. It certainly is not a standard feature in production yachts. It may be harder in a catamaran with the very narrow hulls... I dunno enough to guess.

One might even add such a feature to the list of things that define a "Blue Water" vessel!

Jim
Old 06-12-2021, 17:04   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
If correct can we assume any insurance contract void?

If not correct total loss will be paid out ?
Ah no. why would you think that. Your knoweledge of mercantile law appears to be misguided
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:09   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
...Alternatively - the tiller bar could be disconnected and the other rudder put in the opposite direction and then she may be able to motor slowly in to port under her own steam, with a small drogue (all cats should have a drogue) out the back led to a bridle, the bridle arms led to the winches.
Almost correct, Seawinds have two helms, port helm is connected to port rudder and Starboard to Starboard, and on the 1000 then the two helms are connected by a chain and wire arrangement, very easy to seperate the two helms and have in the case port helm fully steering port rudder. Its why the 1000 meets commercial operation standards for emergency steering Its also why I despair at boats with one helm.
Old 06-12-2021, 17:10   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

As an aside, I think having good access to the steering gear is an important design feature, along with the bulkhead to isolate leakage from the rudder post or a hole caused by a rudder strike. In a mono this is possible... and is designed into our boat. It certainly is not a standard feature in production yachts. It may be harder in a catamaran with the very narrow hulls... I dunno enough to guess.

Jim
Also remember that this is a 9.98metre long vessel, lots of compromise going on when your boat is that short
Old 06-12-2021, 17:55   #53

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Quote:
When we hit a sunfish and lost our rudder 40 miles off Eden, we used the old washboard on a kite pole trick. It was useless. In the end I undid the tiller extension, pulled the kite pole more vertical, lashed its upped end to the backstay and with the extension through the parrot beak turned it like a tiller. It was awful and out of the 6 crew only 3 of us could keep within 45 degrees of course, warp out the back and all. But we made it to Eden hours before a southerly came in on our own steam.
Tense kind of situation, Phil. Good job.

Funny how important it can be to "make it in under your own steam." That's how it was for us when our first Insatiable was dismasted. She looked so pathetic with the port side lifelines all smashed, and the bow pulpit--and of course, no mast. But it was a big deal to cope without having to ask for help, very important for self esteem.

Ann
Old 06-12-2021, 18:20   #54

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its going to be a much more expensive insurance job now that the boat is inverted. The original report said they got in two dinghies. If they were inflatables, lashing them to the damaged hull before they abandoned the boat would probably have kept it upright and a lot drier inside.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 18:48   #55

Don, here is a zoomed in pic of the 2 dingys from the 3rd pic on the first post. One is a small fibreglass & the other one is harder to make out but looks like it is aluminium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211207-132618_Outlook.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	249443  
Old 12-12-2021, 12:29   #56

Can anyone confirm that the vessel under discussion is “dreamas duo” listed as 11 m x 6 m on marine traffic. 1000xl?
The 1000 Apparently evolved a lot of the years so this would place it as a later model maybe?
Old 01-01-2022, 14:30   #57

Just an update. Since receiving the photo of the overturned Seawind 1000 at the time of salvage I have tried to get further pics of the salvage & particularly the rudder damage which caused this unfortunate incident but no luck so far.

Are there any CF members who are either in the Batemans Bay area or frequent the boatyard there who may be able to do some further detective work?
Old 01-01-2022, 16:40   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Also remember that this is a 9.98metre long vessel, lots of compromise going on when your boat is that short
Compromises can be made on layout, fitout, colour scheme, even rig and sail choice
Compromises should never be made on structure, rudders, beams and boards.

If other designers of cats that size can manage watertight BH that dont compromise the main hull I don't see why these ones can't.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 18:54   #59

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Just an update. Since receiving the photo of the overturned Seawind 1000 at the time of salvage I have tried to get further pics of the salvage & particularly the rudder damage which caused this unfortunate incident but no luck so far.

Are there any CF members who are either in the Batemans Bay area or frequent the boatyard there who may be able to do some further detective work?
Why? Boats have real owners. Why not just leave them alone?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 19:59   #60

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

It was pretty hard listening to the Mayday call being 3 hours north of the accident and heading south towards the Sinking vessel, and not being able to help,

Another yachty I was talking to in Refuge Cove while hiding from a Gale screaming outside said he was two hours away from the stricken vessel also,
He was too far away also to help,

I was only 5 nmiles offshore at the time, When I went past where it had occurred, 3 hours later,
There was no wind and the sea was almost flat, Nice sunny day,
My flag was hanging off the mast like a motionless rag,

They did have a shipping hazzard warning out for the wreckage, and its position, But I never saw the wreckage as I motored past,
Not that I wanted to hit it, So I had my eyeballs peeled looking for it.
From what I have been told, The owner bought it in Port Stephens,

I wonder if it was the one opposite me in the Marina at Soldiers Point, That was a Seawind 1000 and that owner had just bought it,
He didnt know anything about sailing Cats and asked if I could give him a few lessons on it,
He was still there when I left Port Stephens, But I had spent a week in Bate Bay waiting for the bad weather to clear off,
So he could have been in front of me heading south,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, catamaran, rescue