Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 16:40   #1

Catamaran Parts and Accessories

Good Evening Everyone
I am looking to purchase a used Catamaran. In my search I am finding lots that are available, but most all of them need something worked on or replaced. I am fine with this, but my problem is I cant find a web site that has catamaran equipment, parts and accessories so I can price out the used boat. Major things have been easy because I have to call a service company that fixes or repairs.
My problem is looking for an online store or stores that have parts and accessories that will allow me to add on the things I want to have on the boat.
Example: Pilot Chair in cockpit. Having a heck of a time finding the 2 seater type I want, love seat that is in the back where the Dingy is attached, full enclosure for cockpit, winches and power winches..... these are yet examples of the items I am looking for, which will enable me to know how much I will be spending above the cost of purchasing the boat.

In this day an age I can't imagine that there is not a place that specializes in parts and accessories for catamarans. I have been looking even for specific cats like Gemini 105.

My wife and I were searching to see what are all the nice to have things we could get as accessories for a Gemini and we could not find.

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks

Ken
kjon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 16:46   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Re: Catamaran Parts and Accessories

Ken,

This is why we created Catamaran Supply. Although we are still building the site out with more and more catamaran specific products. I am definitely willing to do everything we can do to help you find specific parts. Or as you shop be a resource for helping you find the right boat and associated parts. Feel free to send me a message or give us a call. Our purpose is to help the catamaran community and learn ourselves.

Willem
willem@catamaransupply.com
401-684-0417
CatamaranSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 17:29   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Your list doesn't sound much like a one stop shopping kind of list.

Helm seat/pilot chair - seems like an item you would either get from the boat manufacturer, if it is an option for the boat, or something you would have custom fabricated to fit. I've never seen this as a generic off the shelf item.

Cockpit enclosure - for a used boat a new cockpit enclosure is often a custom made item from a local marine canvas shop. If there is an existing enclosure, even if in very bad shape, this can sometimes be used for a pattern saving $ on having the new one made. If you are handy you can sew your own and save $$$.

Winches and power winches - these are not catamaran specific. The same winches are used on monos and cats and there are numerous vendors selling them.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 17:44   #4

I did do some searches om the forums here, https://www.defender.com/
seems to be one site at least for accessories. I found here on the cruise forum. There must be more of these types of sites.

I will keep searching the net. and report anything I find.

I would think with as many Gemini 105's out there in the us there would be some standard equipment being sold.

Ken
Old 09-04-2020, 17:56   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

110 Gemini 105Ms built. Not sure on the count on Gemini 105MCs, but they were built for 8 years versus 6 for the 105Ms I believe, so maybe 140? That is only 250 boats. Not much of a market really.

Defender is great, but peruse their canvas section and you won't find anything like a cockpit enclosure for a Gemini cat. They have competitors but I'd say Defender is one of the most comprehensive marine retailers in the US. They would be a good place to price some winches.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:34   #6

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

First, keep in mind very few boat parts are specific to a builder or Catamaran/Monohull.

Boat seats, including some limited "loveseats" can be found on most of the major boat part suppliers - BOW, Defender, West Marine, Ahoy Captain, etc. Recognize there are some disadvantages to wider seats, including space they take and how they hold you in rough seas, which is why you don't see them on many smaller cats. Springfield makes a reasonable one that might work on a Gemini. Several Manta's have put this seat on. It's nice that it is "reversible" so can use as additional seating facing rear. Double Bucket Seat

Enclosures are custom made. Depending where you are, what materials/options you decide on, are and who you have do it, likely will range $3-6k for a Gemini. If you are good at sewing, you can do for less than $1,500 using top notch materials. Check out Sailrite for videos and supplies. Our BreatheSailDive Facebook page has lots of photos from when we did ours, along with many other boat projects.

Having an owners forum has been invaluable for us. The Manta forum is very active and everyone helps one another. Gemini has a similar owners forum. Another resource you may want to check with is Carolyn at The Boat Gallery as they own a Gemini.

Best of luck finding your perfect boat. As a "general rule", for a boat that you buy in "good condition" figure you'll likely spend 10-20% on upgrades/repairs the first year and 5-10% ongoing. Things like new standing and running rigging and new sails every 7-10 years figure into some of the bigger items.

Jason
Breathe - Manta 40
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:09   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

I agree. We have a catamaran, but when I go looking for stuff I don't look for catamaran specific things. You need to make a list of what you want to add then start pricing them out by getting bids for things like cockpit enclosures. Do check Defender. We've used them a lot.

Just a word of wisdom. Any boat you buy will need stuff, even brand new ones. That's because you want to make the boat yours.

Good luck,

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:14   #8

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

No such thing as catamaran parts, virtually all parts of a catamaran are the same as monos. Don't stress about that.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:12   #9

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
No such thing as catamaran parts, virtually all parts of a catamaran are the same as monos. Don't stress about that.

Except trampoline nets, fore beams, cocktail cabinet.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjon38 View Post
Good Evening Everyone
I am looking to purchase a used Catamaran. In my search I am finding lots that are available, but most all of them need something worked on or replaced. I am fine with this, but my problem is I cant find a web site that has catamaran equipment, parts and accessories so I can price out the used boat. Major things have been easy because I have to call a service company that fixes or repairs.
My problem is looking for an online store or stores that have parts and accessories that will allow me to add on the things I want to have on the boat.
Example: Pilot Chair in cockpit. Having a heck of a time finding the 2 seater type I want, love seat that is in the back where the Dingy is attached, full enclosure for cockpit, winches and power winches..... these are yet examples of the items I am looking for, which will enable me to know how much I will be spending above the cost of purchasing the boat.

In this day an age I can't imagine that there is not a place that specializes in parts and accessories for catamarans. I have been looking even for specific cats like Gemini 105.

My wife and I were searching to see what are all the nice to have things we could get as accessories for a Gemini and we could not find.

Any guidance would be great!

Thanks

Ken
I have a Lagoon 380 2008 model, owner version, which I have owned since she was new. Sailed in the Baltic Sea with brackish water (almost no salt) for 10 years. Only 6 month summer period in the water. Now on Gran Canaria for 2 years, where I live. Very good condition. Have most of what you require plus a lot of other things. Spinnaker, genakker. I have had boats since a boy. Done all service by my own so I know it done properly. Dont need to repair or buy much.
Interested?
Interested?
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:26   #11

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
You just usually have to buy two if anything breaks on one side, the other side is sure to go soon.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:14   #12

Thanks everyone for your responses, this is helping. Building a list of what a boat needs and pricing out those items takes a long time. This is almost a full time job pricing out parts and service. What I am finding out is that for a catamaran below 150k, is going to cost me almost 250k plus to make the boat ready for me and my wife, which is telling me to spend the 250k on a newer boat...……

Everyone has been really great on the forum here, I will need a lot more assistance before I purchase.

Thanks Everyone

Ken
Old 12-04-2020, 15:15   #13

Boat: Sold the previous one but there's always another boat!

Ken,

If you haven't yet, join the Gemini Catamarans Group (the old Yahoo group) at:

https://geminicatamarans.groups.io/g/main

They will have all the information you want on Geminis.
GOsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, parts