Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 19:45   #16
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Catamaran or Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd be allowing a bit more than six years to build and circumnavigate. You'd have to really rush either the build, or the trip, or most likely both. And even once you get the boat in the water, you'd be best to build some experience doing local trips before setting off on the big one.

If you want to save time, (but spend more money) A kit is a quicker way to get into a big boat. I built mine from a kit, still took about 6000 hours though. Some pics here: Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

As a carpenter, you might be interested in building one of these: Home The Sarah or Tracey would be the better suited.

Plenty of people will tell you it's not worth building a boat, and with used boat prices being what they are, it doesn't make a smuch financial sense as it used to. But you will know your boat far better than if you bought one, and it will be NEW.

There's also a good forum for cat (and one tri) builders here: DIY Yachts • Index page
Spot on comments

Welcome to CF and good luck with your plans Dreamsailoring! You will find some very knowledgeable folks here.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 19:53   #17

Boat: Seaward 22

your profile says pittsburgh. don't forget to understand shipping laws. you don't want to build it and not be able to get it to the sea.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 21:39   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Sadly tri's arent as popular as they used to be. Hence resale prices reflect that.( keep that in mind). Cats tend to have a higher resale and are in greater demand.

However, I do love the idea of all that deck space that comes with a tri- even though their cabins are only slightly larger in volume than a similar sized mono. (The added space being the Winged bunks as a general rule of course.)

If youre home building it may be worth looking at Wharram catamarans as well. They are VERY seaworthy and from memory have no recorded capsizes!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 07:10   #19

Boat: none yet

thank you all again. after talking to my wife we have desided on a wood designed cat. We figured we can have it ready to sail in five years. know we are looking for a boat yard that can put the boat in that is close to home.
Dreamsailoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:52   #20

So I thought I had decided then my wife found another designer. WOOT WOOT. So she also emailed a few aother designers just to get there prices. OMG 7000 dollar plus 185 for shipping. I believe that they do deserve reasonable compensation for there work but come on that is astronomacal. I am not trying to be cheap but I am trying ro save money where I can. One design me and my wife looked at was $700 and $85 to ship plus another $100 for a design change we wanted which is structal so we had to ask. Though the plan is for a 36ft Cat plus a 4ft extension it has everything we need and want. But we had to look it is a big desion I don't have the money to be wrong or to do it twice.
If anyone knows of some cheaper older designers that I might have missed let me know please my budget for a design is about 1500. I have found two cats and one tri we like but we really want cat. The many reason is space and two hulls not three.
Thank you very much. You all are a God sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat36SeaStalker_001.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	57324  
Dreamsailoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Try Ray Kendrick. I had one of his tris, he is a modern designer who doesn't ask too much for his plans. He mainly does smaller boats but would be worth an email to see if he would do a bigger cat. Ray Kendrick

Also try Peter Snell at Easy Catmarans - there are over 100 of his boats around - Easy Cats. Peter's p[lans are not cheap but they are great value and you get lots of help from him as a builder. The Sarah 12 metre from Peter is a particularly nice boat. And will take you anywhere in the world.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:52   #22

Thanks for the link for Ray Kendrik. I just emailed him. Maybe with a blessing he can do what I want without to much hassel.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:37   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsailoring View Post
(...) 7000 dollar plus 185 for shipping. I believe that they do deserve reasonable compensation for there work but come on that is astronomacal. (...)
7k for study plans? Do not buy!

7k for full build plans? Well, depends. Sometimes build plans will contain all you need to build including CAD files for the printer/cutter.

But yes, 7k is a bit of cash. Whether it is justified or not depends only on the content of the package.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 15:55   #24

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Try K designs, bernd kohler designs in plywood /epoxy and his plans are realistically priced.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:22   #25

Boat: Wylo II

Mike waller does some really great cats at very reasonable prices. This is his flagship design Mike Waller Yacht Design - Waller 1480 Catamaran - 48 ft timber/glass/ composite cruising cat.
kutoroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:57   #26

So I looked a Mike Whaller Design and I really like his 31ft cat. Do you think this is a safe cat to sail maybe in the carribeen and mexico? What about a trip to Hawaii? I have a family of five and I am trying to be safe put affordable. If I build and sail it I plan on doing more achoring then being at the dock. I also plan to use an outboard engine, so what size should I get if I need to maintain 8kn to go though the Ditch? I also plan on bring a small genarator if I need to charge batteries but plan on installing panels and wind turbine.
It is scarey to spend a money on a design then find out that you don't like it. I am just a Middle class American and don't have money to throw away. Well atleast not on getting something wrong. I have time on my side cause I am not leave till my youngest can swim good and understand what the dangers are so I say in about 6 years then she will be 8 I fell that is a good age,
Thank you for all the help so far. Sorry if I am a pain.
Old 21-03-2013, 07:01   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Haven't seen his 31 but have seen a few 880s, and know that at least one has done Bass Straight . Good simple honest boats
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:57   #28

Boat: Outremer 50S

Dream,

I like the Waller Coral Cove 31 I think you are pointing at. A couple of thoughts:

1. With a family of five two of your kids will be sharing a double berth. Will that fly? It's how I grew up, but not everybody's cup of tea. You might be able to turn one of the doubles into two singles, but I'd want to at least look at the study plans to see if that is possible.

2. The design payload is 550kg = 1210 pounds. When you put five people aboard that uses up at least 500 lbs, leaving you only about 700 pounds useful payload. We all overload our boats when cruising, but that seems like a pretty small starting point for a family of five living aboard.

I would give those things some thought before jumping in, but you'll have to answer for yourself. For someone new to boat construction it looks like these designs might be just the ticket, as they don't get into exotic materials or techniques.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:23   #29

Boat: Wylo II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsailoring View Post
Do you think this is a safe cat to sail maybe in the carribeen and mexico? What about a trip to Hawaii?

...I also plan to use an outboard engine, so what size should I get if I need to maintain 8kn to go though the Ditch?
I am not an expert on Mike Waller designs, but I have had some dealings with him and he is very friendly and helpful. In my experience, if you e-mail him he will answer all your questions promptly and will go out of his way to make sure you get the right information. I am sure you can find his e-mail address on his web site.
kutoroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 15:48   #30

Boat: schionning cosmos 930

How about considering Mike Wallers 35ft ? Plans are $400 cheaper and you get 4ft longer hulls , better load carrying and better at sea imho.
Either way good luck and enjoy your project.
Al
dialdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, trimaran