Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Catamaran Guru/ Stephen Cockcroft / Sailonline / Experiences? Anyone know them?

I am new to cruiser forum, and this thread made me jump in and finally join.

I have experience as a captain, Moorings/Sunsail operations manager, and now as a yacht broker.

There are so many different models out there in both monohulls and catamarans. Dealing with a broker who has tons of firsthand knowledge on the ins and outs of ex-charter boats is a HUGE plus. I have done everything from changing the head gasket on a yanmar’s, sail drives on volvo’s, to repairing yachts from groundings, to ordering new sails for my yachts, etc., etc., etc.

When I talk with clients it becomes clear to them almost immediately that I have been a yacht captain and fleet manager much longer than a yacht broker. This gives them confidence in my ability to find the right yacht, and when they have a question about a yacht they know they are getting a straight forward answer.

Dealing with someone who has been involved in the phase-out process is also extremely valuable.

Another huge advantage of dealing with an ex-charter fleet guy is the intimate knowledge he or she has over the inventory. This is the type of information that those from outside companies just don’t have, and can’t get. I can look at the inventory list, and see numerous yachts I have managed, sailed, captained on charters, or maintained over the years.

Another big advantage of dealing with an ex-operations person is the personal relationship he or she has formed with other managers in the region. A perfect example of this is last week I arranged a viewing of a Leopard 46 in Grenada for the captain of one of my clients. The yacht was on a 24 hour turn around. I made one phone call, and had my client’s captain checking the yacht out. This is something you can only get when dealing with someone who has been there and done that.
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran