Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 16:12   #1

Boat: 2000 Leopard 45
Catamaran gelcoat recommendations

Hey all.

Where is the best place in the Caribbean for a new deck gelcoat job. Looking for the best job at a good price.
I have a 2000 leopard cat in need of a new finish. I looked in Florida , but rates are $100 + an hour.
benfairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Catamaran gelcoat recommendations

you meen paint. best in world is
https://www.alexseal.com/

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 17:38   #3

No, I mean jelcoat
Old 14-02-2022, 18:16   #4

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfairn View Post
No, I mean jelcoat

Gelcoat is generally applied to a mold. Using it as a paint after the fact is pretty rare, at least in my neck of the woods. Its just not designed for that. It doesn't flow right, it doesn't cure right in the presence of oxygen, this is why folks typically use paint, perhaps a 2 part poly like Awlgrip, for paint jobs.

You say its for a deck? Its probably not a terrible choice if you are texturing it with a nonskid additive.

Long story short: I don't know the answer to your question.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 23:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfairn View Post
No, I mean jelcoat
Please explain with more data pictures what you want repair.
if you want apply ,repair small part .this is do with Topcoat( polyester gelcoat with added wax for cure) if you apply Gelcoat original you buy from your Leopard manufacturer this Gelcoat never cure you ruin your boat.

watch this he explain all
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 05:25   #6

Have you considered just a cut and polish to revitalise your boat ?
Is there any particular reason you think the gelcoat should be reapplied?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 06:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Have you considered just a cut and polish to revitalise your boat ?
Is there any particular reason you think the gelcoat should be reapplied?
Hi,

ya its 20 yrs of wear and sun, its powdery and you can see through to the fiberglass in many spots, and gelcoat if not regularly waxed will deteriorate. Of course people using soft scrub also hurts it, and the charter business ios full of crew using soft scrub or abrasive cleaners. I have a 2008 cat next to me , has a new gelcoat done looks good, however, if not done by really experienced people then it can be problematic. The local pro tells me it has to be done in sections, and prepping all the old surface is key, and its cleanlines before the coat. You cant have people walking over areas to be sprayed etc, dragging air hoses etc. Its a 5 or 6 section job and will take a month.
Old 18-02-2022, 06:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Please explain with more data pictures what you want repair.
if you want apply ,repair small part .this is do with Topcoat( polyester gelcoat with added wax for cure) if you apply Gelcoat original you buy from your Leopard manufacturer this Gelcoat never cure you ruin your boat.

watch this he explain all
Excellent video, thanks. Yes understand the wax additive etc.
Old 18-02-2022, 10:54   #9

Benfain; I worked in fibreglass production and repair for many years.
Doing a full gelcoat re-spray is exceedingly rare because of the huge amount of labour involved.
Preparation is the easy part and not much different from prep for a paint re-spray. However paint dries to a gloss finish and gelcoat does not and will require wet sanding through several grades of paper and a cut and polish to finish to a high gloss. The success of this is heavily dependent on the skill of the operator and the quality of the materials along with ideal conditions to avoid any contamination, pinholes/porosity, orange peel or other defects. Further original gelcoat comes out of the mould with its gloss and surface tension intact which gives it a longevity a re-spray cannot replicate.
If you insist on a gelcoat finish pay the price of the local pro or go for 2 pack polyurethane.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 11:13   #10

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

An Amel 53 got its hull gelcoated next to us - in the water - in Rio Dulce Guatemala. I woke up one morning to a guy on a raft pushing our two boats apart while his partner sprayed the hull. A third guy was on deck mixing and keeping everything going. They then came back to sand and polish it out a day or two later. Crazy, but it worked well - it looked good at least until we left a few weeks later

This is one place I know that they do it for a reasonable sum.

Matt
Old 20-02-2022, 05:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Benfain; I worked in fibreglass production and repair for many years.
Doing a full gelcoat re-spray is exceedingly rare because of the huge amount of labour involved.
Preparation is the easy part and not much different from prep for a paint re-spray. However paint dries to a gloss finish and gelcoat does not and will require wet sanding through several grades of paper and a cut and polish to finish to a high gloss. The success of this is heavily dependent on the skill of the operator and the quality of the materials along with ideal conditions to avoid any contamination, pinholes/porosity, orange peel or other defects. Further original gelcoat comes out of the mould with its gloss and surface tension intact which gives it a longevity a re-spray cannot replicate.
If you insist on a gelcoat finish pay the price of the local pro or go for 2 pack polyurethane.

Hey Red, I appreciate the advice and I think I'll be doing alexseal or awlgrip , whichever Elvis recommends, but not gelcoat. He recommended gel if it the cat was going to be used commercially, but did say that the 2 part finish would be a lot better looking. Thanks , experience is everything when it comes to this stuff.

Tags
catamaran, gelcoat, men