Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 12:53   #76

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop
Re: Catamaran Capsize.

Perhaps they all joined Border Force , and are Busy running around in there flash Big boats and aircraft , harassing as Cruiser's ?
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 13:40   #77

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
...The local weather forecast was a strong wind warning with 20 to 30 knots of wind from west but that was upgraded to a gale warning later in the morning with 2 to 3 metre sea on a 1 metres swell...
When we were cruising on Australia's East Coast we learned, after a couple of exciting experiences, that the weather forecasts you get at 7:00 AM will likely change after brekky and morning newspapers are finished by the guys at Australian Bureau of Meteorology, like say, around 9:30 AM.
Old 16-11-2020, 15:22   #78

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

As a professional mariner & delivery skipper I too am very interested in the findings of the enquiry.

I can try & find out when the Coroners Inquest will be held but to do so I would need to know the names of the deceased people.

I have tried to find these details through Google searches without success.

I realise that this is a delicate subject but the findings if made public could assist to save lives in the future.

Can anyone provide these details to me if they are 100% sure that their information is accurate?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 23:16   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

All Coronial Inquest findings for NSW are available at

https://www.coroners.nsw.gov.au/coro...gs-search.html

The Brief case summaries would give a guide as to the subject matter, I wouldnt have expected that this matter would be finalised yet, I note the most recent published findings relate to deaths in 2018.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 04:55   #80

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

The Brief case summaries would give a guide as to the subject matter, I wouldnt have expected that this matter would be finalised yet, I note the most recent published findings relate to deaths in 2018.

Hi Factor, thanks for your input but I have already tried this with no success. As far as I am aware the name of a deceased person is required to search for a particular Inquest whether it be either already completed or scheduled for the future.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 12:04   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post

Can anyone provide these details to me if they are 100% sure that their information is accurate?
Helen and Rod Cooper ( both 78) and an unnamed family friend.

Did the designer ever issue a statement.

I have had a conversation with the skipper of the Spirited 380 that flipped south of Kangaroo Island. His new chamberlain cat has much better handling characteristics, apparently.
Old 17-11-2020, 12:17   #82

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

We'll have to wait patiently then. Thank you for the link.
Old 17-11-2020, 13:26   #83

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post

Did the designer ever issue a statement..

No !...been completely quiet, which speaks volumes actually...

cheers,
Old 17-11-2020, 14:21   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
There is a relatively expensive system called upside up UpSide Up anticapsize - MyBoatsGear.com. Heel is not a good indication of load (think of inclination on the side of a swell - may be heeling 20 degrees but both hulls firmly planted), so a load-based system is more useful.

But if cruisers reef for the gusts, then gusts aren’t a worry. It does mean paying attention to the wind trends, especially local effects, and accepting being underpowered during the average wind and lulls. Note that this isn’t commentary about this thread’s incident.

Regardless, extremely sorry for the families involved in the accident and I wish to express my condolences. A horrible tragedy.
Maybe they could develope a sacrifical linc in the rig to drop the rig when it developed a specified tension before the hull flips.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 15:47   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
As a professional mariner & delivery skipper I too am very interested in the findings of the enquiry.

I can try & find out when the Coroners Inquest will be held but to do so I would need to know the names of the deceased people.

I have tried to find these details through Google searches without success.

I realise that this is a delicate subject but the findings if made public could assist to save lives in the future.

I've been wondering why the focus on this particular capsize when there was also recently capsize Régis Guillemot's TS5 Hallucine off Portugal. Reports from Régis indicate an impact which flipped the catamarn but in the photo there is no indication of hull damage. Why aren't we talking about that one?

And there are others.

I mean, it is not hard to find stories about performance catamarans capsizing, even with the most qualified experts on board.

Here are four I found in Google searches quite easily:

So I think that the danger of capsizing a performance multihull is understated by catamaran owners and my worry about it is justified. It just seems too easy when even the most experienced sailors have it happen.

And in my case, since I really like high performance boats and this is the kind I'd think I'd like to have, and I usually sail with inexperienced people, this scares me.

Photo: (I am sorry if this photo upsets the Catamaran fans, but how does this happen to a guy like Regis?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Régis Guillemot's TS5 Hallucine Capsize.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	227150  
Old 17-11-2020, 16:19   #86

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I've been wondering why the focus on this particular capsize when there was also recently capsize Régis Guillemot's TS5 Hallucine off Portugal. Reports from Régis indicate an impact which flipped the catamarn but in the photo there is no indication of hull damage. Why aren't we talking about that one?

And there are others.

I mean, it is not hard to find stories about performance catamarans capsizing, even with the most qualified experts on board.

So I think that the danger of capsizing a performance multihull is understated by catamaran owners and my worry about it is justified. It just seems too easy when even the most experienced sailors have it happen.

And in my case, since I really like high performance boats and this is the kind I'd think I'd like to have, and I usually sail with inexperienced people, this scares me.

Photo: (I am sorry if this photo upsets the Catamaran fans, but how does this happen to a guy like Regis?)
You said it, How many cruising Catamarans flip over,
Performance Multi's and Mono's are usually sailing to the extremes,
Racing cars usually end up in the turf also,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 16:33   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You said it, How many cruising Catamarans flip over,
Performance Multi's and Mono's are usually sailing to the extremes,
Racing cars usually end up in the turf also,
I just have to say, Mr B, that my boat was considered a performance mono when it was new. (Many cruisers still think my boat is an extreme race boat, but it isn't, of course. High performance, yes, extreme, no)

But none of these incidents occured in conditions which would cause my boat, or any monohull I know of, to be capsized, rolled or flipped or sunk no matter how hard it's being sailed.

The catamarans are simply more dangerous.
Old 17-11-2020, 16:37   #88

Boat: Outremer 55L
Catamaran Capsize.

Quote:

And there are others.

One link four years old and was caused by a microburst that actually picked the boat up. Very rare event and equally dangerous for monohulls https://www.thelog.com/local/microbu...oats-one-sunk/

A reference to Hallucine, the actual circumstances of which we don’t yet know. We don’t know whether a monohull would have fared better or worse in their situation.

Two links to capsizes during the Caribbean 600 race, while racing, with full crews. What has this to do with cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3276628

In a different thread I found 5 instances in just New Zealand in the past three years where monohulls had sunk and killed one or more of their crew.

How do you figure cruising cats capsizing while cruising is more common than monohulls sinking? Insurance companies don’t think so.

Wings, I respect you, but you’re showing a common behaviour of doing a Google search and drawing conclusions that the links don’t warrant. But if you want to be scared of something that’s not really there, that’s just fine.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 16:40   #89
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I just have to say, Mr B, that my boat was considered a performance mono when it was new. (Many cruisers still think my boat is an extreme race boat, but it isn't, of course. High performance, yes, extreme, no)

But none of these incidents occured in conditions which would cause my boat, or any monohull I know of, to be capsized, rolled or flipped or sunk no matter how hard it's being sailed.

And no catamaran would experience their keel falling of with the boat sinking and loss of life.
Monohulls are simply more dangerous.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 16:51   #90

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:

Have you ever had:
Direct hit by a microburst?
Direct hit of a large UFO while reaching fast?

If not, then how do you know how your boat would fare?

The Sydney-Hobart race regularly has boats that sink, lose keels or rudders, roll over, lose rigs, lose crew members. Monohulls are not immune to catastrophe.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, catamaran, size