Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 06:27   #31

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Catamaran 38-46 Foot Vs 50-60 foot

FWIW....

All the conveniences to assist with handling a boat diminish in usefulness when the **** hits the fan.

I've seen wind loading on sheets that overpower electric winches (nothing happens when you push the button, need a 10-12" handle and lots of muscle). I've seen furlers run out of line when trying to kill a sail with too much wind. Dropping a furled sail in 35-40kts on the front deck isn't fun in 8-10' seas, been there done that. I've seen sheets burn right through leather gloves and disable a crewman, can't work with blisters on your hand the size of sliver dollars.

The larger the boat = larger sails = exponentially more force. More force requires more muscle, all the power assist and all controls to the helm don't work well with forces this high. One can make a promise to never get caught in such conditions, but we all know promises are made to be broken!

Until you experience it, you won't understand it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:42   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran 38-46 Foot Vs 50-60 foot

I say Go For It...
Buy the biggest boat you can afford..
Then work your way down to the biggest you can handle..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:44   #33

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You haven't met my prom date...
I sit corrected.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

If you really want to see why handling a 50-60' boat isn't easy with two people, go charter a 50-60' boat. Closer to 60, the harder it is. Closer you are to 50, it may not be so bad. A lot can depend on the layout of the boat. If it were me, I'd stick to something just under 50'.

We chartered the Moorings 58' Cat in the BVI. There were 9 of us. And when we were docking or picking up a mooring, there were more than two of us working on things. Especially with docking. Sailing wasn't so bad as all lines were led aft and jib was self tacking, but with only two people if there was any kind of issue, it would have been very difficult. Once you get up to a certain size, having extra crew pretty much becomes a necessity.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:23   #35

If you are REALLY considering something really big.... Gunboat just posted that the one and only Gunboat 90 is for sale. I think they are selling it to fund the new Gunboat 101 project.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
whosescow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28   #36

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosescow View Post
If you are REALLY considering something really big.... Gunboat just posted that the one and only Gunboat 90 is for sale. I think they are selling it to fund the new Gunboat 101 project.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well I did not say I wanted something really big I just ask for the pros and cons between those sizes I'm looking at and I still have a budget like most other people have yes I might not look at the 300-500 USD Mark but at the 1.5 to 2 mill USD Mark and brand new and no plan in selling it within 10 years

Sent from my HTC One using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30   #37

Boat: PT-11

With so little criterion to go on, this thread just becomes silly. I think the OP started a similar thread months ago and doesn't seem to have gotten any farther along in research.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
With so little criterion to go on, this thread just becomes silly. I think the OP started a similar thread months ago and doesn't seem to have gotten any farther along in research.

Can you send me the link to it please

Sent from my HTC One using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 08:37   #39
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

When boat shopping, we have a simple rule: My wife needs to be able to raise and reef the main, by herself, without using electricity. While not a perfect rule, it sums up the problem of loads and weight very nicely. She doesn't have to do it quickly, but she must be able to do it. You can never know when the stronger crew might be hurt (or, worse), or cascading failures mean you don't have those push buttons available.

While others have given you lots more to consider, this is a practical test that sums up many of the other possible problems. You can always navigate without electricity (granted, you might have to look in a book, but you can figure it out), but if you're out if the middle of an ocean, you've somehow got to move, and that means getting the sails up.

For us, my wife is 5'4", 140 lbs. We found that some 42 - 45 footers were possible, and some 38 to 40 footers were not. Nothing over 45 was possible.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30   #40

Boat: PT-11

[QUOTE=mikethedane;1576410]Can you send me the link to it please

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=123352

SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47   #41

If you leave rounding Capes and spending the requisite time in the high lats, off the list, the bigger Cat becomes a bit more realistic of a possibility if you're going to be crewing up for longer passages as you suggest you will. But some things just needn't be on a bucket list. Would you want to walk down the streets of Mogadishu dressed in a suit made of $100 dollar bills carrying a shopping bag full of Big Macs just to say "I accomplished that"? Some things are just smarter left off the bucket list.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 13:08   #42

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Hi All ..

I have now Gotten a lot of input from many competent and skilled persons and i have really appreciated this Personally I have learn and gain a lot of knowledge, this is the reason for my question . I heard from many that a 50-60´ is to big to sail singlehanded or short handed "2 people on board " and tells me that a 38-46 is better and i was wondering why.
Yes i do know the bigger cats are more expensive, higher cost and so on.
But for this part i¨m very well aware of .
But here i¨m more thinking in the area of handing so here comes my Question

What is that makes you believe that these boats are to big.. compared to the smaller once ..
Probably nothing new, but this is my list:
1) Ability to manhandle the boat at the dock, if needed
2) Ability to see all 4 corners of the boat from the helm, while still being connected to the cabin and rear deck of the boat instead of sitting alone on a top deck helm
3) Ability to clear shallower water, lower bridges, and narrower canals/marinas
4) Ability to manually handle sails and anchors
5) Ability to quickly reach all vital controls and lines
6) Cost vs purpose

Sometimes, a larger boat genuinely offers a greater range of comforts and conveniences. Often, though, a larger boat is really just an upsized version of the smaller one and offers little in the way of additional comfort or features.

Part of the discussion is about how, where, and why you sail. A longer wider boat is likely to provide a more solid, comfortable ride at sea, but will offer more inconvenience when operated near the shore.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 14:02   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If one looks at the OP's posts, he is now saying that he will hire professional crew for passages (I think).

This changes the game completely IMO, and also causes me to loose interest in his project. What he proposes is not cruising as I know it, but rather being a passenger in his own boat.

All the worries about handling the boat under arduous conditions are now foisted off on tough, skilled (hopefully) pros, so sure, he can do it. Why are we concerned?

None the less, I will be astonished if he actually does follow through, all the way around the Horn, professional crew or not. As others have said, if you leave that part out of the plan it all becomes more reasonable, and something that other newbies have accomplished in a like manner.

Meanwhile, I've filed this in the "likely a non-starter" drawer.

Jim
Old 02-07-2014, 14:13   #44

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Probably nothing new, but this is my list:
1) Ability to manhandle the boat at the dock, if needed
I should have read further into the thread I guess. I was responding to the original question from the perspective of an individual cruiser seeking to liveaboard and cruise casually.

If you're looking to take a full crew on a deep-ocean adventure around the world, that is entirely a different matter of course.

I agree that would kill interest in the project, as there is nothing new, unique, or unknown. It's very easy to do if you have unlimited funds, access to professional crew, and a boat purpose-built for that job. It's been easy to do for a long time, even for single and double handers with very average boats.

However, I read the OP's comments to suggest that he would hire on crew if needed for certain portions of the trip, and to help him gain knowledge and skill on his own boat.

This is no different from hiring a delivery captain or going on a liveaboard ASA course, which many of us have done - it doesn't make us passengers.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 14:20   #45

[QUOTE=SVNeko;1576513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Can you send me the link to it please

Catamaran Buying option 50" - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

i did actually also write on that one..