Earlier this year, in October, I drove Cat2Fold from the mountains of Idaho/Wyoming to Marina Del Rey in Southern California
to launch her and participate in the 2011 Baja-Haha. After launching, I drove my truck and trailer
to Tucson Arizona where they sit in storage
. The original plan was to sail around the sea of cortez
for a couple of months then pull out in San Carlos
around New Years. Cold weather
and many northerlies in and around La Paz
, helped make the decision to extend the trip through the winter
. My girlfriend and I are currently sitting in an anchorage (Chacala) just 40 or so miles from Puerto Vallarta
Barring the need to go home for 2-4 weeks in February to visit my kids
, I have until sometime around May for this one trip. Then I need/want to get the boat
reunited and get back home and get to work!!!
This trip I'm currently on is the fulfillment of a dream I've had for some time, and every day on the water
has me longing for more!
Here's where I have a question; should I just keep heading south into Central America
then turn around and head
back up to San Carlos
(5 hour drive from Tucson with a good boat
ramp), or should we go through the Panama canal
, take a left and head
up the east side of the continent, and pull out in Galveston, Texas
? Pros and cons of Sea of Cortez
compared to the western Caribbean
? How about general wind
patterns; I know the Sea of Cortez is predominantly NW winds this time of year and switches to some SE in May-June, what are the western Caribbean
winds like during the spring (March, April, May)?
The other kicker
involved is the fact that of all the insurances that I needed to get for my boat, truck, mexican and american, Cat2Fold is still NOT COVERED while towing overland in Mexico
On a side note, when I go home in February, I will be looking for an inexpensive and safe place to keep Cat2Fold. It can be on the hard
(she has never had a bottom paint) or in the water
. I'd prefer not to have to fold her, and she is 24' wide.
Thanks for any suggestions!