Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 23:34   #46

Re: Cat Hits Reef and Sinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Actually if they were attempting to patch the damage, it more likely the hole was in the main hull as they wouldn't be able to access inside buoyancy compartments. Or holed in both. What's the construction down there 44? Solid glass or cored? I guess cored because of the flat panel construction method?

They wouldn't have been able to access the buoyancy chambers from the inside (Unless that boat had hatches to access them) but I expect it was the inside of the forward accommodation part of the hulls they attempted to patch.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 00:16   #47

The sarcasm stems from years of self appointed "experts" like jedi constantly telling us cat's will flip, break up, sink, etc etc etc etc at the slightest provocation.

Thankfully due to the design and construction, this boat can be easily and cheaply repaired. Hopefully the crew can recover as well as the boat can, and will be able to continue living their dream.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 01:35   #48

Boat: LAGOON 400

my guess, they motored in reverse. this movement would raise bows little bit and lessen water levels inside.

Not bad save at all
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 02:25   #49
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Mmm we have just spent a few months sailing around Malaysia and Thailand and l was amazed at how old most people living and sailing around the region are, l am not that young either....

I have commented several times that the elderly people on the water are an inspiration to us all.

Get well soon and get back out there 😀

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
Old 25-05-2015, 02:30   #50

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
Mmm we have just spent a few months sailing around Malaysia and Thailand and l was amazed at how old most people living and sailing around the region are, l am not that young either....

I have commented several times that the elderly people on the water are an inspiration to us all.

Get well soon and get back out there 😀

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
very different view on oldies than on land.

if i was investor in retirement homes and buying into idea of babyboomers retiring and going to nursing homes, would get really nervous about this trend.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 03:09   #51
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I'm 64 now. at what point should I expect to start losing my sense of humor about this life, like some of you other guys?
Old 25-05-2015, 03:12   #52
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I really cant figure you out, or maybe I do SMJ! Important is to figure out why hit the reef and in such manner that both hulls got holed?

It was just a little sarcastic humor, probably badly timed on my part. I wish the owners and boat a speedy recovery.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 08:22   #53
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Or you could just buy a Catamaran 😉

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1432567289.218966.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	102693  
Old 26-05-2015, 15:35   #54
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm really missing the joke in this thread

What is funny about this elderly couples loss?
He's in hospital injured and she has cancer.

What's so funny
When I posted my earlier comment about being neutral on the Cat vs. Mono debates, I also said I appreciated good humor when I saw it. So, some comments I read when I first opened this thread to read it, seemed humorous to me then. This was what I responded to initially.

It was only after your comment that I spent the time to go back and read the news accounts about this unfortunate couple's accident and their recovery effort of their cat.

So, now I see that entire incident in a different light.

Here is how I see it now:

It was an unfortunate accident for any sailor (cat or mono).

It is a good example of how even a couple, with some physical limitations, can 'self-rescue' their boat (using plywood and not abandoning ship). I found that admirable.

It is an inspiring example of how even when in later years (older, 70s) some sailors keep on sailing. I also thought it nice that the wife was still sailing despite her other health conditions. This gives new meaning to "sunset cruise."

So, while I understand that there could be some humor seen in this thread, I am not laughing at the couple or their predicament.

Instead, I will remember the original incident (the grounding of the boat) and THIS couple more for the human drama (encountering risk), the example of the human will to overcome obstacles, the admirable human desire to live life to the fullest, and the inspiring example of an "unsinkable sailing couple" rather than an unsinkable boat.

What I do think would be good in instances like this would be if a cruising community came together to help those in need of help.

At this time the best I can do is offer them my sympathy and wishes for a recovery of their boat, and a continued safe and meaningful journey together in life.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:52   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I was not offended in the slightest.

I was just missing the intent of all the jokes given the situation the elderly folk faced.
IMHO unless one followed the posted link to the actual article about the accident one would have no idea that an elderly couple was involved or their personal situation.

Also this is an open forum so who decides what's appropriate? I know we can all vote.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 03:09   #56

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

I find their story both sad & inspirational. That could be us in just 10 years time. Hats off to their abilities & grit in following their dream. It's sad that they have made the news in such an unfortunate way.

I also understand the frivolity, considering the amount of BS that has been flying around lately by some die hard antagonists & occasional trolls, about the dangers of sailing multihulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 13:23   #57

Boat: Seafarer36c

About 2 months ago there was a another Cat on the reef just outside Caye Cauker Belize that the the locals are parting out. The owners took off maybe? Something I think I would do also.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 17:50   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
About 2 months ago there was a another Cat on the reef just outside Caye Cauker Belize that the the locals are parting out. The owners took off maybe? Something I think I would do also.
You'd take off? or you'd part out someone else's boat?

Actually, it is common for the locals to do that. One time it happened at Ocean Beach in San Francisco, with the owners aboard, and begging people not to steal stuff off, but they did, anyway.

We've heard of it many places. You've gotta remember, we with out boats and our freedom often seem egregiously wealthy to the locals, American or otherwise.

Ann
Old 30-05-2015, 19:16   #59

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You'd take off? or you'd part out someone else's boat?

Actually, it is common for the locals to do that. One time it happened at Ocean Beach in San Francisco, with the owners aboard, and begging people not to steal stuff off, but they did, anyway.

We've heard of it many places. You've gotta remember, we with out boats and our freedom often seem egregiously wealthy to the locals, American or otherwise.

Ann
Sorry I did not write clearly enough for you to understand. I would seriously think about taking off if we sank on a reef in Belize. Our boat is not worth the trouble it would cause us and the locals would love it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 03:12   #60

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I wish the owners a speedy recovery, at least they were out doing what they loved rather than armchair quarterbacking it.
To someone's comment about marking reefs, funny weve seen 2 Mono's stuck up high on reefs here in the Abacos. Except at Great sale cay, there was just a keel and no boat

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote