Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 23:20   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
And your point is?
As you are no doubt aware, monohulls NEVER capsize and float upside-down. It is a little-known fact that Tony Bullimore, Thierry duBois, and Isabelle Autissier were all sailing one of those special multihulls with two hulls fewer than a typical trimaran...
Old 10-11-2006, 00:30   #47

The volvos are probably the best direct comparison to racing multis such as Orange and with their ever increasing beams now do appear to be quite stable upside down. This is a topic of much discussion by race organizers and will likely be remedied in future class rules. Upside down sucks no matter what boat you are in but I would prefer to take my chances in a boat that rights itself, often without fully inverting in the first place.
Actually, I would most prefer to just stay rightside up and read about such things on the web!
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:09   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
And your point is?

Right before she went over, he was on the bow and the autopilot went south. These are the risks you take when you're single handing across the Atlantic in a race boat.

I think the real point of the story is to consider what would have happened if this was a racing monohull.... when the boat rolled, you'd get tossed off the deck into the water. When she righted herself, you'd be dragging at the end of your tether which is fastened to the bow. And if you didn't snap on your tether, or it snapped? It's possible that you'd drown in minutes either way.

The multihull went over and floated. It in fact contributed to saving his life.

Rick in Florida
The point is, the boat is toast and he's lucky to be alive just because the pilot went in the shitter.

Regarding tethers, we keep them short enough that you physically can not go over the side when clipped on. It's a pain but ya gotta do it.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 15:42   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli
The point is, the boat is toast and he's lucky to be alive just because the pilot went in the shitter.

Regarding tethers, we keep them short enough that you physically can not go over the side when clipped on. It's a pain but ya gotta do it.

Hmmmn, these people are lucky to be alive as well
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...e.html?ref=rss
Old 10-11-2006, 18:13   #50

Jeff, it is obvious to me that one of the hulls of the lightning struck boat in the picture must be obscured. I'm certain that the dismasted vessel must have been a cat as well. Didn't you read the article linked in the OP?!? Only cats get dismasted and struck by lightning!
Old 10-11-2006, 18:18   #51

Precisely why I was confused -- where is the other hull?

I guess this must be one of those monomorans, not to be confused with those monomorons.

j
Old 10-11-2006, 18:31   #52

Yep, that explains it. Or pehaps the other hull just broke off. I've head that happens alot too.
Old 10-11-2006, 18:44   #53
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Now Now, you know it's not nice teasing the mono guys....

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 20:30   #54

But I am mono guy! I also think that the article was written by a guy who really shouldn't be in the insurance business. I remember reading years ago that station wagons were deemed to be safer than sports cars by the insurance industry because they had fewer and smaller claims. Lets see, a car with better brakes and handling is more dangerous because...

Obviously insurance statistics are not the best way to determine the seaworthiness of a yacht. And this clown didn't even use statistics.

When it comes down to though, for most people, most of the time the conditions encountered will be well within the range of safe operation if the vessel is sailed within it's limits and appropriate measures are taken.

I could be persuaded that cats rock if someone wants to lend me one for a while...any takers?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:36   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
I could be persuaded that cats rock if someone wants to lend me one for a while...any takers?
Hmmmm.... if we can define 'Lend' as 'lease', we can work something out

Rick in Florida
Old 11-11-2006, 05:27   #56

I happen to sail both but when it came to deciding on a liveaboard, we chose a cat for a host of reasons. In the end, every boat is a compromise and it's about figuring out what's important to you and sailing within the limits (yours and your vessel's).
Old 11-11-2006, 06:49   #57

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
Yotphix, If in the New York area,....you have a standing invite. Beers on me!
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:00   #58
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Dont make fun of them just cause they got mononuclearosis...
Old 11-11-2006, 08:31   #59
cruiser

Ha ha... funny guys. I like the way you all stick together. That's probably an advantage to having a multi in itself. Since I already trampled in here with a trimaran question, I figured I do some self-education by reading some threads in here.

This article was interesting, but I think the data might be skewed by a pretty important factor:

The claims were mostly (if not all) related to multis chartering. It's a fact that there are going to be more claims on a boat that charters out constantly, since it has more hours on the water with less experienced sailors (if bareboated). Plus, buying a new boat and taking it back to the USA will certainly increase the risk of claim. It's a new boat, it probably has a few kinks to work out and the skipper is probably not experienced on the particular boat yet.

Seems he's looking at the statistics incorrectly, from what I read.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:47   #60
cruiser

Sean,

I'm not convinced it was a serious article. As was pointed out earlier, this guy writes in order to sell magazines. Cat's are now what part of the Islands cruising community? He's not going alienate that much of his reading public , is he?

Hmmm..... did he get fired from The Moorings Charters?....

Or.... does he still need therapy about that Hobie incident from his youth?

Rick in Florida