Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 17:48   #1

Caribbean Cruising

I know this topic is SO over killed yet please bear with me. My wife and I have planned our trip and had everything sorted then her dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So we stuck around. After lots of family issues we are now 3 years older and thanks to a real piece of work brother in law we are also $300k lighter!
So anyway can any of you that are currently cruising the Caribbean give us your average cruising budget. We do not need much, we are simple folk. I am a RYA Captain and a registered marine engineer with years of boat experience so maintenance is not a issue at all. I have worked as a Captain and crew on boats, yet that cost is completely different to what we will be doing. We have three sailing cats we looking at -37 - 42 feet, all older yet solid. We would like to enjoy a meal out every now and then. Marinas not really for me, unless weather horrible then way fight an anchor?
Hope that gives some idea any input will be really helpful. i have searched this and other sites yet nothing seems to be current dates.
Timtim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 18:06   #2

Re: Caribbean Cruising

I have a pro built cruising trimaran available for shared ownership, with a buyback. $1000 to $1500 is plenty to cruise. 38 Harris trimaran r2akteamgoldenoldies
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 19:27   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtim24 View Post
I know this topic is SO over killed yet please bear with me. My wife and I have planned our trip and had everything sorted then her dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So we stuck around. After lots of family issues we are now 3 years older and thanks to a real piece of work brother in law we are also $300k lighter!
So anyway can any of you that are currently cruising the Caribbean give us your average cruising budget. We do not need much, we are simple folk. I am a RYA Captain and a registered marine engineer with years of boat experience so maintenance is not a issue at all. I have worked as a Captain and crew on boats, yet that cost is completely different to what we will be doing. We have three sailing cats we looking at -37 - 42 feet, all older yet solid. We would like to enjoy a meal out every now and then. Marinas not really for me, unless weather horrible then way fight an anchor?
Hope that gives some idea any input will be really helpful. i have searched this and other sites yet nothing seems to be current dates.
===

You will get a wide range of answers depending on different cruising styles. Big items for many people are unbudgeted repairs, dining out, occasional marina dockage, mooring expenses (difficult to anchor some places), air fares back home, car rental, equipment replacement/upgrades, etc. If you start out thinking you can live on $2k/month, add another $500 to $1000/per month for the unexpected because there's always something.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:15   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

You will get a wide range of answers depending on different cruising styles. Big items for many people are unbudgeted repairs, dining out, occasional marina dockage, mooring expenses (difficult to anchor some places), air fares back home, car rental, equipment replacement/upgrades, etc. If you start out thinking you can live on $2k/month, add another $500 to $1000/per month for the unexpected because there's always something.
I know some folks who spend $US500-1000 a month on alcohol while others spend nothing. A lot of the things you mentioned are what I call life style choices. It is easy to spend more on drinks than a meal, or never spend a penny. Same goes for air fares and car rental. I cruise in the Keys and the Bahamas and there are lots of places you can anchor (because there is no marina or balls) there where there is no opportunity to eat out, rent a car, or get on a plane. All depends on how you plan your route. On the other hand if you are in a slip with shore power things can add up. There have been long threads about cruising/living on a boat for $US500 a month; something some folks seem to be able to do; while others strain to live on $US5,000 a month.

Not trying to influence you but three cats may cost more than you expect. In addition to feeding them they will need recent papers from a vet to be admitted to foreign countries; and sometimes an additional fee for a vet when you enter. While charges vary you will also have to pay fees for you and your wife to enter. The number of times you cross borders can make things add up. There are also some places (the DR comes to mind) where some folks seem to get hit up for official or unofficial fees every time they turn around.

There are several threads at CF on the topic of how cats run their engines 100% of the time. Not sure how much you expect to sail verses motor but that also can be a big line item in the budget or a small one. Some folks sail off the anchor and never use the engine to back down the anchor; others run their generators every night to the dismay of those who are able to get by on solar and wind and enjoy the quite.

These are just a few examples of how expenses can add up or be minimized.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 20:59   #5

Boat: Not Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
three cats may cost more than you expect. In addition to feeding them they will need recent papers from a vet to be admitted to foreign countries; and sometimes an additional fee for a vet when you enter.
Pretty sure the OP meant they were looking at 3 Catamarans one of which they may buy, not 3 pet felines.

Cheers
Peter
Sailing Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 06:32   #6

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

That was a joke, a type of multihull humor.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:48   #7

Some folks have no sense of humour. Hahaha lighten up peter
yalnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 13:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Can your wife cook? With your background it would probably be easy to get a job as crew for a large yacht with an absentee owner, and while it isn't the same as being on your own boat the money comes in rather than out. This is much easier for a married couple of the wife (or husband) can double as the cook/steward. In the 50-70' range there is a constant demand for crew like this, and most people prefer to hire retired couples.

If that isn't an option, then the cost can vary widely. I would think the floor is about $500/month, with no upper range depending on how you live. But that doesn't leave a lot for boat repairs. Since you can do most of the work yourself I would add I need an amortized budget of 5% of the value of the boat at purchase a year additionally to keep her in the same condition you bought it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 16:38   #9

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not trying to influence you but three cats may cost more than you expect. In addition to feeding them they will need recent papers from a vet to be admitted to foreign countries; and sometimes an additional fee for a vet when you enter. While charges vary you will also have to pay fees for you and your wife to enter. The number of times you cross borders can make things add up. There are also some places (the DR comes to mind) where some folks seem to get hit up for official or unofficial fees every time they turn around.

Bwhahahahahaha

I see what you did there.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 22:28   #10

Boat: Not Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
That was a joke, a type of multihull humor.

Sorry, a bit too subtle for me :-)
Sailing Soon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib