Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 16:31   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Buying a boat in Trinidad and Tobago

We've got our eyes on a catamaran in Trinidad and Tobago. Couple of questions for the more experienced.

We would want to bring the boat back to Eastern US.

What time of year is best for that trip?

Since we need to consider this as part of our negotiations on boat price - can someone give us a ballpark fee for a captain that would bring it to Florida? (With us as crew). We're competent coastal sailors, very little blue water experience.
Old 10-07-2016, 16:36   #2

Re: Buying a boat in Trinidad and Tobago

Well of course not hurricane season. I would imagine after early November would be good, arriving by June end. You know your abilities, but if you have time, bringing it slowly back yourself would be a great opportunity. Much of it isn't too different than coastal cruising. A few overnighters though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:22   #3

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
We've got our eyes on a catamaran in Trinidad and Tobago. Couple of questions for the more experienced.

We would want to bring the boat back to Eastern US.

What time of year is best for that trip?

Since we need to consider this as part of our negotiations on boat price - can someone give us a ballpark fee for a captain that would bring it to Florida? (With us as crew). We're competent coastal sailors, very little blue water experience.
I hope somebody is not trying to sell you our catamaran!?

As Cheechato says, most of the sailing you will do is not much different from coastal. The area lends itself for a series of short sailing stints between destinations and if I were you, I would sail the yacht myself. How much a captain will charge is anybody's guess and will depend on demand, skill level, risk, etc. I have no clue but would guess that you will be spending anywhere between $8,000 and $15,000 plus other expenses - air ticket, food, etc.

The safest time would be after the hurricane season, but despite this, there are many yachts sailing around - keeping a sharp eye on hurricane/weather predictions.

If you are in Trinidad at present, get hold of Don Stolmeyer, owner of PowerBoats in Chaguaramas - a real gentleman and no bull$hit. He is well connected and would certainly be the best person to advise you. If you PM me, I will give you his email address.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:18   #4

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Please understand that I speak from a theoretical point of view, not having any experience in your route. We keep a 41' Beneteau in the BVI's and I lived in Puerto Rico for 12 years. It is my understanding that during the winter months you have a series of cold fronts that roll off of the USA out over the Bahamas and whose gradually weakening influence can extend as far south as Puerto Rico, resulting in NW winds in your face. That said, you might time your trip so that you are not northwest of PR until sometime in the spring. I am sure that there are many more route experienced sailors who could amplify on this for you. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:29   #5

Boat: Nonsuch U30

I made the trip in 2011 single-handed in my Nonsuch 30, and would be glad to make it again with you. It is easy sailing, with many nice places to stop get supplies. Just want good navigation equipment with backup. I still have my Garmin 76Cx with all of the charts of the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Florida. I also have a Spot Satellite Personal Tracker. Lastly, I am an excellent cook. If you are interested in my help you can contact me at sdwcheney@yahoo.com, or text, or call me at 316-755-6421
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:36   #6

Another option is if you want to take your time while you are at it, get someone with experience to come along for the ride for the first 2 weeks or month +/-. They can get you started along the path, familiar with the boat and thought process, while they have fun and you do too!
I'm sure there are some on this forum who might have an interest. Possibly even me depending on time frame.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 14:49   #7

Boat: fusion 40 cat/ jeaneau 45.2 sun oddessy

what kind of cat is it?
bmax242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:51   #8

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Most pro will charge starting around 4$ per nautical mile + expenses (air fare, food, boat supplies...). Check for instance Andy Schell at 59-north.com podcast where he talk about that. He offers delivery.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago