Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 14:56   #16

Boat: Shopping
Re: Buying a boat in production

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetogether View Post
We are in the process of trying to negotioate a deal on a catamaran that is still in production. I would like to hear from others that have experience with this. Things like paying for a boat in full before it leaves the factory or before I see the boat seem risky... or what about that I have to insure the boat when it leaves the factory and spends 6 week under sail before I take possession of the boat? I can't find anywhere in this contract that protects me the buyer in any way. Where is the dealer taking any responsibility? Is this the industry standard? Part of doing business? Better to buy used?
Umm, who are you buying the boat from? A foreign manufacturer? A foreign dealer? A US dealer? This is all terribly important. The foreign manufacturer might be substantial (but maybe not), but suing them, if you have to, in a foreign country will not be happy. A dealer will be less substantial; some's total assets might be a phone number. If you're talking a purchase in the hundreds of thousands, you might invest a few hundred in a lawyer. This isn't like buying a house, where the "system" has a lot of built in protections. This is just a simple sales contract, let the buyer beware.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 16:25   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

You do such things in strict co-op with a lawyer and only in a country that protects the buyer rather than the builder.

Unfortunately, with one offs, racing boats, etc. this is often the only option.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:23   #18

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Nearly 20 years ago I was in the same situation in look of buying a 44 foot catamaran. I decided to buy under conditions:

1st) the yard and I worked on a description in detail about the construction, mesures and weights equipment (rigging, winches, ropework, electronics, what ever was included and on the order) we ended at 11 pages letter instead of one page in two languages as previously sent by the yard.

2nd) we both agreed on at delivery date inspection and trial sail

3rd) I had to pay up to 90% of the agreed final price during building time against a bankers guarantee delivered to me before I made the payments.

To make a long story short: the building of the cat was going wrong, the delivery was about 2 months later, instead of a weight 0f 6,9 metric tons the cats weight was about 10,2 metric tons. For this fact the CE rules have not been maintained they had to bring in about 124 ft3 of Foam for the floatation in case of a accident. Otherwise the building was looking crude and not like the work of a yard of some reputation.

I disagreed the reception and received my money back in full (that thanks to the bankers guarantee). So I decided to buy an other catamaran not a new, after he story I bought a used one. To say I was very happy with her when I sold her I had made four Atlantic crossing and twice the full length of the med.

So good luck think about and smooth sailing with your catamaran.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying