Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 15:28   #391
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillintheblank View Post
see above

Yes, but I don’t think you can edit the “originally posted” section?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 15:28   #392
smj

[QUOTE;smj see above[/QUOTE]
Old 20-07-2021, 15:29   #393
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
[QUOTE;smj see above
[/QUOTE]

Tried and it didn’t work
Old 20-07-2021, 15:38   #394

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[QUOTE=nextis12;3448524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post

Group Beneteau is large sophisticated company with something like 8,000 employees and 25 manufacturing locations and insurance and contractual relationships with outside firms to address these types of issues.

The following is the boat divisions 2019 sales numbers. They have a housing division as well, who knew?

Boat sales were up 4.6 percent to $1.26 billion (€1.14 billion), with net income down 5.8 percent to $76.45 million (€68.9 million). The group said in the statement that its Boat Division is “reporting good performance,” thanks to “robust development of sales” on its monohull and multihull sailboat brands, as well as outboard powerboats.
I suspect Group Beneteau has substantial E&O insurance, but its gonna take some serious pressure to make them use it. And then the insurer's attornies will fight it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 17:32   #395
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

[QUOTE=belizesailor;3448546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextis12 View Post

I suspect Group Beneteau has substantial E&O insurance, but its gonna take some serious pressure to make them use it. And then the insurer's attornies will fight it.

Very unlikely that they have product liability insurance. Much more likely they carry that risk themselves

As has been said by and large Groupe Beneteau out source warranty to their dealers by way of discounts on the sale price. Expect a bun fight there too as the dealers will claim it’s a pre existing product fault.

I won’t hold my breath waiting , just saying
Old 25-07-2021, 05:38   #396

Lagoon says they'll cover expenses for eligible boats...

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 09:15   #397

It is gratifying that Lagoon CEO or whatever he is has agreed to free inspection and repairs on 405's that are NOT hurricane damaged, or damaged from grounding. I personally don't feel that hurricane damage in this case was the cause of the bulkhead failure... One had only to look at the shoddy construction to see that. It clearly IS a design flaw. The hurricane may have contributed in showing the structural weakness. It's only reasonable to put that condition on their offer however.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 10:01   #398
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I guess to some it's fine and to others it isn't.

https://slowboat.com/2018/04/dont-call-me-admiral/

Particularly in this day and age, it is wise to remember that no one can offend you......unless you choose to take offence.

Over the last few decades, it would seem like many make taking offence a habit.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 10:07   #399

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Owly is probably referring to this vid. Colin speaks with Lagoon at about the 5:30 mark.
Old 25-07-2021, 10:13   #400
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Because when xx company buy and order boat have a contract we buy a boat for only private pleasure craft use,not commercial. For commercial use yacht is totally different way and contract. Lagoon don't sale boat for commercial use for that reason you have commercial shipyard, also lagoon don't have permits, design,CE mark for commercial use yacht. commercial yachts must be in Class and comply with the Commercial Yacht Code Regulations in accordance with the chosen registry,

I know nothing about Croatia, but I can tell you that the Lagoons that charter in the BVI, have to comply with the Registry, and the BVI is a Red Flag state governed by the MCA in the UK.
Old 25-07-2021, 10:19   #401
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I feel bad for these guys. My experience with Euro liner boats is pretty much what these guys are finding. Take a look at this Euro mono where the liner never was attached to the hull.

Liner Bonding Failure
Old 25-07-2021, 10:21   #402
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=rabbi;3448308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post

I highly doubt Lagoon is ging out of business because of this. They will fix the problem quietly for a handful of owners, and call it a day.
At one point they will just stop this practice and do nothing at all but ignore these owners.

Lawsuit... good luck!
An owner can sue his dealer anytime but no one will go after the manufacturer. If they do, they won't succeed.

Knowing french mentality I am sure any lawsuit filed in France by a foreigner will take a couple of years, and in the end the frogs will win - or settle for next to nothing.
Want to file a lawsuit in the US? I wonder if Lagoon would even send a lawyer to appear in court.

Years ago, FP didn't show up in US court....cost them plenty, over the years.
Old 25-07-2021, 10:42   #403
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I also have about 150 photos of a 450 where outer hull skin varied in thickness from 2mm to about 3/8".

In this infrared, the white areas are less than 2mm thick and moisture levels in the glass are in the very high range. . This was a boat just delivered to Canada on it's own bottom. They could not figure out where the water was coming from so I was hored to find out. Turns out is was leaching right through the very thin glass around the sail drives (an uncored area).

PS. I drilled holes and used a hooked screwdriver and black tape to measure thickness.

These poor quality construction feature/quality/engineering issues are not unique to Beneteau built cats. I've seen them in Bene monohulls,Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria and Hanse. I found a 4'X2' area in the bottom of a new Hanse (that had never been in the water) that I could flex the bottom over an inch with my hand pressure. The broker/dealer told me fiberglass is supposed to be flexible !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 103.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	242706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 106.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	242707  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 130.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	242708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 135.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	242709  

Attached Images

Old 26-07-2021, 02:29   #404

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi all
Sorry, we have a technical glitch where quotes are not being attributed correctly. A cascade of problems has been initiated.

In this thread it involves post numbers 366, 367, 368, 369, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 381, 382, 384, 388, 394, 395, 402.

Until Tech support sorts this out, could you please not hit “Quote” on any post that actually commences:
[QUOTE=username;number]

Apologies for the problems.
SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 04:52   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I also have about 150 photos of a 450 where outer hull skin varied in thickness from 2mm to about 3/8".

In this infrared, the white areas are less than 2mm thick and moisture levels in the glass are in the very high range. . This was a boat just delivered to Canada on it's own bottom. They could not figure out where the water was coming from so I was hored to find out. Turns out is was leaching right through the very thin glass around the sail drives (an uncored area).

PS. I drilled holes and used a hooked screwdriver and black tape to measure thickness.

These poor quality construction feature/quality/engineering issues are not unique to Beneteau built cats. I've seen them in Bene monohulls,Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria and Hanse. I found a 4'X2' area in the bottom of a new Hanse (that had never been in the water) that I could flex the bottom over an inch with my hand pressure. The broker/dealer told me fiberglass is supposed to be flexible !
As an occasional delivery captain, that is about the most frightening report I think I have ever read on a boat condition—and they were for new boats! If I was working for Group Bene delivering new boats across oceans you would have just given me nightmares for life….
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon