Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2022, 06:03   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Broadblue 345/346 info.

I sold my L 380 right before the pandemic, didn't really use it as planned, and was too much work as I have several physical issues.

Mostly daysail and do 2-5 day cruises. Need self tacking jib, which Lagoon didn't have in 380. Seawinds look great, have sailed extensively on them, but 2025 delivery for a new one and not much on the market in the 1160.

Then came across Broadblue, which I diont know much about, but the 34' model looks great.

If you know about this company, which I heard this model is based on the dazcat model, or it is even their mold, I would like to hear more about it.

How does it sail specifically, and how is the company to deal with? Is the boat well made? Etc.

They have not sold any boats in the US so finding one to look at is difficult and has me a bit concerned about the resale of the boat.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 01:06   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Broadblue 345/346 info.

Built for a specific purpose, to transit the European canals hence the beam. Looks a bit dumpy because the accommodation is below the raised cockpit. It is a mini-main rig layout, small mainsail and 2 headsails (neither are self tacking). Very easy to sail as the mast is on the rear cabin bulkhead and everything is to hand. Not bad sailing performance but not stunning.

Build quality and finish is excellent and I believe still built by Dazcat. Broadblue kind of took over where Prout left off.

Nice boat if it fits your use.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 01:07   #3
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

The Broadblue's are designed by Darren Newton who also designs/owns Dazcat but they are a different design.

They are very helpful, knowledgeable and good to deal with.

Sold in the UK so we see them here.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 05:42   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks for the input. @Tupaia, small correction, the 346 does have self tacking jib. Has a 'reacher' on foil headstay in front of the jib, not just a wire luff like a gennaker, code 0, etc.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 03:27   #5

The company is UK based and run by Mark Jarvis who also has a hand in designing all the boats from a sailor's eye point of view.

The 346 is made in Poland and packs a huge amount of accommodation and head room in to a smaller boat and still manages to sail well. They are well built and very seaworthy and I think now the best seller of the Broadblue range.

I can't say how the US market would be but in the UK/EU second hand 345/6 sell for almost the new price (pre-pandemic - now its probably more than the original price as with many boats) so they certainly seem to hold their value.

Drop Mark an email from the BB website and he'll be able to answer any questions - he's a sailor and and engineer, not a salesman, so you'll get a very straight answer
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:08   #6

Boat: 10m Catamaran

We have a 346 and keep it on the Hamble. It really is a bit of a Tardis and is a superb boat for a cruising couple or small family. It's got reasonable performance and surprisingly sails very well to windward. Not something you expect with most cats. It even heels over slightly when the wind picks up! Sailing a catamaran in the Solent can be challenging, not because of the conditions but due to the lack of space for "beamy" boats. We like exploring the tighter rivers and creeks and find the 4.85m beam and 1.01m draft allows us to get into places (and berths) where a 40'+ cat would struggle. I highly recommend both the boats and Broadblue as a company who have been excellent with back up. Give Mark Jarvis a call. He is extremely knowledgeable and personable and you won't get the usual sales pitch. He doesn't have to as I think the factory is at capacity at the moment
JonnyDotNet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Broadblue