Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 19:45   #106

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: Bringing a Cross 38 back from the Dead

Interesting. Never realized there was a library but there it is at the top of the page. Heres the link. but its "in Moderation" so I can't open it at this time. Good luck on the project. Take lots of pictures.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 21:09   #107

Boat: Still building

That file is still in the Moderation queue. I couldn't download it either....and couldn't find it in the Library, only via the link in the previous post.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:24   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Just checking in here.....was following this thread a while back....but could tell that this project was likely a going to be too much to tackle for someone with little boat building experience.

Glad to see the project has found a new owner.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 03:57   #109

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16

This may help... I am proud of John... he is doing great work with her, and was in a position in life to drop everything and pick up where we left off. Currently, we are planning to escape the little creek that she has been hiding in for 10 years... By "We" I mean John and Ameris with me and my family as pilot and fleet support... The channel out of the bayou is currently blocked by a large barge, and will remain blocked for a few weeks. The plan is to move Ameris to the hard so that the Application of 20+ gallons of epoxy can commence. Depending on the circumstances, and time my family and I will help John with the bottom job to help expedite his efforts. We will see, my kiddos are in High School spring sports, so, barring another lock down, we stay unreasonably busy Starting in March.... As for us we have a new project we purchased yesterday. One that is a little more sensible to be moved to our Home range. She is a Little Vancouver 25. In reasonable shape with good sails, working engine, and in need of a little refreshing of the interior.. Anyway another adventure begins for us... Congrats John on reaping benefits of all your hard work.. The deck is now dried in!!!! I would guess about 80% new at that!!! Here is a google drive link to the pdf that he sent me in an Email... He is a fabulous writer... :-) Cheers all hope all is well!!!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

It would seem that many of the photos didn't upload to the drive.. I will try another effort. A shame really the formatting was done so well, and the photo documentation... Anyway bummer ... Cheers

Boom Think I got it this time!!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sJQ...ew?usp=sharing

Will leave both as some computers may like the other way... I dunno. :-)
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:35   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Moving the boat on land will certainly go a long way to assist in re-building this boat.

To John, I built my own boat, a steel ketch, but I got to know two other guys building tri's. One was a Piver 36, the other a Cross 34..I think....not sure about the 34'. The Piver is still around somewhere in the Keys I believe, but the Cross's whereabouts I do not know.
The Cross was a well built boat, I remember that, rounded hulls, strip plank with fiberglass coat, the Piver was a hard chine model, plywood sides and skinned in fiberglass.
The West system was used throughout both. Good stuff.

Will follow this thread with interest...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 06:13   #111

Boat: 38' Norman Cross Tri

Hi, this is John, the new owner of Ameris.
I'm just bumping this thread, without any other content, to let folks know I intend to post with photos and additional details at some point.
We're getting very close to being able to navigate her out of the Dickinson, TX, bayou, with just a small amount of topside work being remaining at this point (hardware attachment).
Hopefully my topside paint will arrive today, and I can begin making a hellish mess.

I've read this thread & reviewed James videos & content, and I'd like to thank everyone for their expertise, input and encouragement which has gotten her to this point.

There's inclement weather coming in, so hopefully I can post up in the next few days.

Thanks again!

John
JSterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 06:07   #112

Hello all,

Just posting an update on Ameris here. John has been a busy little bee this winter. :-) He is hoping to move here in May to Dry Dock to complete bottom side work. He is looking for a 30 hp diesel if anyone has one for a reasonable cost.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1njS...ew?usp=sharing
Old 26-04-2021, 06:24   #113

Not that it has anything to do with this post, but we ourselves purchased a Vancouver 25 back in January. I built a trailer for her and brought her home in Feburary. We have been letting her dry out (she was wet for 15 years in fresh water) We have a little osmosis to deal with at the waterline, very minor, and some cabin improvements... new port lights, updated refrigeration, wind vane self steering, auto pilot install, solar array, ssb install, and ais. Anyway, cute little boat and she runs the roads just under 14'.

Some specs..

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/vancouver-25

We have 100 gallons of fresh water storage, marine air con, She's a cute little boat and tows pretty well down the road. I fitted the trailer out myself with a best guess and some ideas from other owners... Anyway, she went on first shot with no adjustments! This was the day before the winter storm hit Texas. We couldn't have done it without Johns help that day!!! Here is an album for y'all to review.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kkRyMDzmmH8iZKQy5
Old 29-04-2021, 11:54   #114

Boat: 38' Norman Cross Tri

For any folks who might have been watching this thread, sorry if the delays in posting have been any kind of a disappointment.
I tend to post captioned photos, and transferring the formatted content is unfortunately impossible.

James, however, got it 100% right in linking externally to the finished file.

I saw the first update has experienced some data loss, so I've decided to use SaberCat (https://sabercathost.com), since it is free & the files don't expire.
Being cheap, though, and taking the free option, there's a 15 second wait time for the DL, unfortunately. Both the Oct - Dec 2020 and the Jan-March 2021 are here:

https://sabercathost.com/im3v/Boat_update_1.pdf
https://sabercathost.com/im3w/boat_u..._for_email.pdf

These are reduced resolution versions (gmail hates stuff much over 5MB, these days, or so the mailer daemon has been telling me), but are still fine for just looking.

Generally they're addressed to family & friends, so you'll see various references..

I think that's about it, for the moment.
I need to see if James has posted anything he's working on with 'Exodus'. She was sweet to see in the water & amazing when we pulled her out.

funny, being an old dog learning new tricks make me feel a little bit like a puppy again, but.. man.. learning those first tricks never hurt so much...

At least not that I can remember ; )

Now that I seem to be getting a handle on things, I might post up a little more often.

Thanks Cruisers!!
JSterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:13   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Will do, and I am still working on the plans, THANK-YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THAT!!!! you have no idea,,,, well you probably do,,,, how much that single act has helped!!!!

Cheers,

James
I found my old plans for my Cross 38, built in 1974, so not in great condition.

Over the years I have had problems with plexiglass windows, if you just put screws through the wood, they eventually weep and wood will start to rot, so to do a better in stall, drill 3/8 in hole where screws are to go through and fill with epoxy and filler, then drill your 1/8 hole through the center of the epoxy and that will stop any rot from weeping
fratfund is offline   Reply With Quote