Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 09:18   #91

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16
Re: Bringing a Cross 38 back from the Dead

New Video up!!!

DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 01:24   #92
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Impressed that the kids are so much a part of what you are doing
but boat building in the kitchen - that's another level!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:55   #93

Hey everyone we are back from the boat,,, new videos are going up, you are not gonna want to miss these... :-)

Old 02-07-2020, 10:56   #94

Another one here---->

Old 04-07-2020, 11:47   #95

Looking for some advice around minute mark 4:00. Starboard ama station midship was cut out to have a larger whole for crawling access. Should this be replaced back to spec in the plans or is it ok as is?

Old 09-07-2020, 20:28   #96

Have ya'll seen this?

Old 12-07-2020, 10:00   #97

hmm. What next?

Old 30-09-2020, 00:39   #98

Boat: Island Packet 29

Whatever happened? Updates and videos stopped. I guess this idea got scrapped?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 09:56   #99

Still working on her, well kinda. Late July and Aug weather was mostly over 100 degrees F. So we scaled back our effort. September we were mainly dealing with hurricanes and tropical storms- so spent the time acquiring engines, and boat bits. Hope to get back a solid effort- this and next month. Really, we knew she was going to be a bunch of work, and really haven't found anything that we didn't already know about, maybe a little more than expected, but the weather was/is a pain, much more than we expected. If it wasn't 104 it was raining, join that with 3 teenagers, and no one was having much fun. Didn't make for good video, either. Covid plays a little into all of this. As we had to deal with a death in the family due to the virus and a near death, also. She is progressing; starboard ama is re-decked, as is the starboard and aft fantails, the cockpit is pulled, and we are ready to re-install in the near future, both 9.8 tohatsu motors are purchased and in running order, we have a new water holding tank and working on a fuel tank. I didn't much care for the aluminum tanks, even after I welded them back up. Main- aft beam has been repaired, and is ready for the mizzen to go back up soon. Likely, after cockpit repairs. I still have a few chain plates to inspect for the mizzen before all that happens. Anyway all is going much the same as we expected. So- no haven't pulled the plug on the project.....yet. :-)
Old 25-10-2020, 14:02   #100

Boat: 38' Norman Cross Tri

James, hi.

This is John, who has replied a couple of times to your CL post regarding the Ameris.
My email is Northazimuth@gmail.com, so that you may recognize it.

I am writing you an extensive, private response to the CL link.

If you email me via a good personal email for you, I will send my reply there.

Best of luck with all things, and she is not lost from her moorings, yet.

Regards,
John
JSterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:41   #101

Hello all, We had made great progress with Ameris over the past few months. Completely replaced the port ama decks, and repaired many stations under them. Replaced most of the fantail port and starboard, and replaced all stations under deck there. Epoxy re-enforced main aft beam. Completely, re-did the cockpit sole and combing, gutted v berth and fixed any rot present. Pulled mizzen to repair main beam under. Sadly this is where the journey has ended for us and Ameris. The more we uncovered the more we found that was not to my standard for a safe family boat, within our time and money limits. Much of which, I had calculated on, but what I didn't was the weather. It was either raining or 114 degrees most of the summer, which is very different from where we live just 2hrs away. That being said, living 2 hrs from the boat just made progress stagnate for us. It wasn't fair to the previous owner, or the boat for us to continue to string the project on in the manner that we afforded... "corona virus didn't help much either"
Anyway, excuses aside -- Our- time frame, monetary support, and availability would not permit us to continue the project.

So, we gave her away...

Yeah, crazy enough, I listed her for free, no strings attached, and gave her to a nice man named John from Fl. Actually, the previous poster on this thread.

He seemed to be a great fit for Ameris from the 1000's of interested parties.

John has made much progress in the last month or so, and might be on a time line to shove off from the mooring in late December. It sounds like he is expecting a short haul out to do a bottom job and repair a few things, then on to Florida.

As for Sale price... we couldn't see selling something that was going to need soo much more work, and so much more money invested. We figured the only way the project had any chance to succeed was to take the loss both monetary and literally- for the chance for someone else's dream to come true.

We are on the hunt for another adventure. We have learned a lot from this one, that we hope to apply to the next one. If anyone has a boat laying around let us know. We are willing to look at anything the good lord presents us with as a possibility.

Some things we think might be important in the next dream.

If Trimarian we may will build a custom marples design. with retractable amas, and kick up rudder.

We like the idea of a 34ft trailable cutter rig with kick up rudder. Berths in amas for in port and sleeping for 4 in main cabin with two pilot berths... Possible aft cockpit with scoops for easier boarding. Also, more of a single plane from cockpit to living area, with ample storage under flooring. 100% Plywood epoxy build with cnc plans to expedite the build process. dyneema rigging and deck stepped spar with tabernacle. I figure this time frame will be much to long for my liking, and possibly the my budget.

So Plan B,

Find an old solid classic plastic 35'-52' boat that is sailable as is.(this greatly depends on how many kiddos are with us) Something that we can lick our wounds and get out there on. Then maybe build our for ever boat later on.. Until then we are now starting to rebuild our 20k ish loss from our cruising kitty and looking forward to our next adventure in this life.

All in- this adventure cost us just less than 14 days at Disney World, airfare, hotels, food and all. The kids learned new skills, have 30+ days of coast life, learn about budgets, build, edit, and post videos. Not all Dreams can be realized, but even un-realized dreams can be full of adventure. We learned a lot, over this summer- Grew closer, laughed, cried, enjoyed success, and realized defeat- all as a family. Possibly the most important was the last... Our children learned that it is okay to fail, that in failure there is countless lessons to be learned. Always, have a back up plan, and always wear safety glasses.... :-)

We would love to take a minute to thank everyone that has been supportive along the way. It has been a fun journey, and we hope that John can keep y'all posted on Ameris's progress along the way. Even though the adventure didn't work out for us, our hope is that we set John and Ameris up for undoubted success to get out and realize his Dream.

Best regards- hopefully you see the Caribbean soon Ameris & John

Cheers,

James Huson & the Dream Catcher Ameris Crew.

P.s. Dream Catcher will continue on... I was sick the entire month of August and still trying to get life back to some sort of normality. So- those that enjoy our adventures,,, more will be coming,,, soon.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:34   #102

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That's a bummer, I was rooting for you. Good Luck with your next one.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:44   #103

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
That's a bummer, I was rooting for you. Good Luck with your next one.

+1
Old 28-12-2020, 18:44   #104

Hi, this is John, whom was so graciously fortunate to be gifted Ameris.
I have been working on her steadily, and have made good progress. It certainly would have been impossible for me without the previous work James and his family had performed.

As of Christmas I've finally finished a general update as to progress (other than Cap'n Tom, seen in various videos on this thread), there hasn't been a second set of hands for documenting & writing. I am just now getting to the point of being able to tow/motor (??) her to haul out, and it is the space between my first jumping on (10/30-ish) & finishing the port ama & starboard wing (12/22-ish) that the update refers to.

I do not know, yet, how this forum works, so I may have to post a link to PDF, if I cannot embed here, directly.

The update was generally directed to my family & closest friends, as I haven't been in touch with them as much as I ordinarily would be, due to the work on Ameris.

Unfortunately, therefore, I have not updated on this forum, other than my first attempts to contact James.

My apologies for not informing those whom were following this project, but I assure you:
I am throwing everything into her, including any potentially sensible retirement I might have otherwise had.

Forward.

That's it for this message. I will next post either the actual update or a link to it.
If I have problems with doing either from this forum as a step off, I will certainly ask you all for help.

May you always be Loved,

JS
Old 28-12-2020, 18:59   #105

I attempted to post the original document in the thread, but a direct paste was unsuccessful.

I therefore whent to the library and uploaded a file under "Trimaran Ameris Repair Narative 1 from J. Sterling"
(misspelled "Narrative"), which is presently under moderation review.

If I've placed anything in the wrong area, or can somehow post directly, any instruction would be appreciated.
Looking at how things work, now.

Thanks!

J