Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 07:32   #1

Boat Size for Charter.

I will be chartering a catamaran in the BVI next Spring Break with a second-tier company (I chartered a monohull with them last year and was happy with the experience). My question is especially for those of you with teenagers. I have my boat choice narrowed down to a Leopard 40 (2006), or a Leopard 42 (2003). We will be a family of five, with two teenagers and a toddler, plus one more teenager. My question is whether the 40 has sufficient space on a one week charter, or is it worth paying 14% more for the bigger cat? With regard to wear and tear, the 42 has newer salon cushions, soft bimini, dodger, etc.; also new plumbing. A secondary question is whether there is much difference in sailing performance between the models. Thanks for your input.
Q. Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Boat size for charter.

I think the 40 would be fine with 5. I don't think the extra space on a 42 is going to have a big impact unless you think having a head for each cabin would make things easier on everyone.

I think the 40 probably has a hard bimini, which is a huge improvement over the fabric bimini it seems the 42 has. That alone could mean the difference from wanting to be in the cockpit during a rain shower vs being inside. The fabric bimini on olders boats let a fair amount of water through.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43   #3

One other thing you may want to consider - see if you can find any owners time available. You might find you can get a Leopard 46 from Moorings or Sunsail for the same from an owner as you can from a 2nd tier company. Check Sailonline.com for owners time.

Only problem is it would need to be after April 15th for an owner to sell time - at least in Moorings/Sunsail.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10   #4

where on that link does on find owner's time?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to run a lot of family charters aboard cats, and one very important consideration, more so than LOA, is how your group is going to be allocated across the cabins. For example, young girls are fine with sharing a cabin, young boys -- less likely, can some of the kids sleep in the main salon, how is your group going to share the heads based upon layout of the boat, etc. Its fun for them to sleep on the forward safety nets too -- weather permitting -- great ventilation there also (so you might want to consider keeping this option for yourself!).

Above deck space is ample on either boat so not a big deal. The 2' LOA difference is not going to make a big difference in accomodation space or sailing performance. So, I suggest considering the cabin layout of each versus your intended use.

I don't think the LOA will make much difference for your purposes, but the newer boat might -- if indeed the systems are in better condition -- hard to determine this from afar though. I suggest just ask the company straight up which boat's systems and engines are in better shape -- hopefully they will give you a straight answer.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
where on that link does on find owner's time?
Under discount charters - just browse the database.

With 5 people belizesailor, I don't think cabin layout is an issue. 2 Parents in 1 cabin. And each child in their own. The extra teenager can either stay with their friend (I assume that's who it is?) or in the Saloon.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47   #7

Re: Boat Size for Charter.

Thanks for the responses. We will be six total, so each teenager can have his own berth, but one will have his four-year-old brother in his cabin in the forepeak berth. I spoke with the charter company again and they say the 42 sails better and faster, and there is considerable difference in space, which would be nice with three teens on board. With regard to the Bimini, it is only three years old, and I am used to soft Biminis, having only sailed monohulls previously. One advantage to the 40 is that the heads are larger, since there are only two of them.
Q. Helm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, size