Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 20:08   #46

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Bluewater Cats: Your rules for going forward?

Hello all,
lots of good stuff some interesting. We sail normally two up, just my wife and I. In good weather we do 3 hour watches, but we decrease that if weather deteriorates. Of a night or bad weather lifejackets are worn. We have jack lines on either side of the boat and are tethered going forward of a night. No one goes forward without the other person being on deck. We have two grab bags packed with our personels stuff IE wallets, one phone, keys etc ready at all times when offshore. Our liferaft is stowed and easily available in the cockpit. We have a red light in the saloon that does not interfere with night vision but allows enough light to safely negotiate the saloon.
One thing that I ensure is readily available is a knife. I have one on me and one in the cockpit. We have a pre planned man overboard drill. We normally sail in company but we always let someone know where we are. AIS was recently installed on Sunshine and its proven its value from the first day.
Just some of the things we put into practice.

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Lagoon 410S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 21:04   #47

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Bluewater Cats: Your rules for going forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Mr B, People lose rigs or have catastrophic failures in all kinds of weather, conditions...
If you are in "high seas and very bad weather" or "take a baby for a stroll weather" you will use "ANY" and all means available to secure your ship and safety.
If you cannot use or have confidence in using "any thing electrical on deck" , then don't...

"the chance of sparks from the grinder creating a fire below decks is very real"
I am baffled how those sparks would get inside from outside on a modern cruising boat?...

I have used power tools/welders and spark flying grinders all my life and you can shower sparks on all manner of "DRY" combustible materials before they "might" show a hint of igniting. Now that is my experience ... maybe not yours.

If you want to get electrocuted , you can probably make that happen...
If you want to sail far offshore without prep or safety / if you want to cross streets with your eyes closed... and probably make yourself dead... you can make that happen as well

I offered up my opinion on grinders/zip blades as an effective tool in ones potential Cruising arsenal but I certainly respect yours and Thinwaters' and maybe everyone elses? reservations on this.

Bob
I said it with all respect to every one, There is no intent on my part to put any one down for their comments, This is a learning thread, We will all gain from it and others perspectives and experiences as well,
We are all different and do things differently,
Being forewarned is better than not being prepared,
If its in your mind already, Then you can act apon it,

All these different idea's are in your mind when the SHTF, You do what needs to be done as quickly and easily under the circumstances at the time,

Being dismasted, there is a good chance you may have a hole in the boat as well,
That will add to the excitement as well,
I Have bolt cutters and a grinder on board, Near a full workshop,

I did a lot of thought on this when the fancy welds on my davits snapped off, They were merely wash welds with no strength, Show welds,
Mid Ocean, 40 miles offshore, and 4 metre seas and a screaming wind, And a very sea sick passenger,
Fancy welds may look good, But are not reliable, I was losing my Davits, Dinghy, Hammock, Solar panels, and the back stay to my mast which were all connected,
It was all going over the back into the ocean if I didnt get it repaired, Post haste,
Possibly taking the mast with it, That was a lot of strain on the back stay for the mast, Especially dragging thru the water,
I had just bought an Invertor welder to carry on the boat, But it was at home and I had to get the boat home first before I could put it on the boat,

Most of it I tied to the rails, cleats and any where else I could tie it too with ropes,
Trying to save it,
Also, If it did drop into the ocean over the back of the Transom, , It would drop onto my drive leg and Propellor, So I would not have propulsion either,
Untill I cut it all off and got it clear,
It was not my wish to enter an unknown inlet at 2-30 AM in complete darkness, on a full out going tide,
But I did with the help of the VRS on the VHF guiding me in,
Flat stick at 8 knots and going forward at 1.5 knots, Into a very rocky and narrow Channel,
Forster in NSW, But this was an emergency on my part,
You can actually look at this inlet on the web cams they have operating on it,

Another small point, The recoil from cutting wires that are heavily loaded from being dragged thru the Ocean, They can come back and cut you very savagely, So keep your self very clear of any thing you are cutting off,
That whip can be very deadly,

And thanks for all the suggestions,

Cheers Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule, water