Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2022, 09:13   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Blue-Water Ready Cat vs. Charter Cat to Refit

Very different boats and boat histories. Have you actually looked at both in person?

no two "bluewater" cruising cats with a major refit are alike. Some owners spend 100+k to replace everything onboard including new running and standing rigging, sails, saildrive gaskets, maybe new engines, new electronics, new watermaker, new chain and windlass, ...
Others spend 5k on cushions, lazybag, bimni cover and a few mooring lines and call it a major refit.

Even if it's truly a major refit, are you happy with the equipment onboard, both new and old? You pay for it, and IMO it doesn't make sense to buy something that doesn't fit your ideas of cruising.

Like:
The PO of my first boat spent tenthousands on a marine genset, large lead acid battery bank, Aircon in all cabins, and rebuilding a huge 10 year old AC watermaker plant, etc.
Where my idea of an ideal setup is more like lithium batteries, big solar array, DC watermaker with energy recovery, and a diesel heater for chilly nights during spring/fall in the Med.
A classic mismatch - but being a first time boat owner I did not know better.

These days I prefer a privately owned boat that has been maintained well but used for holiday sailing only. These hopefully come with few or no modifications or enhancements at all.
That way I don't buy other people's projects but can make all my own faults and mistakes!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, refit, water