Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I would always suggest at least getting a quote from Pantaneius. They will - as I have said - insure boats smaller than 36 - along with many other companies, and their prices have been very competitive.
I have an email from them telling me that they will not insure any boat under a million dollars in the USA.
Old 11-08-2013, 14:34   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Talking Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

You Americans must be a risky lot.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 14:44   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You Americans must be a risky lot.
Maybe not risky but litigious;-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:06   #94

Boat: None currently.

Aloha!
I found this thread and thought I might add my question on the subject. (Let me know if this is inappropriate.)

I'm looking for a "low-budget" cruising cat that I can take from Hawaii to the South Pacific with 2-3 adults, and island hop along the way. (It would be ultra-light cruising.)

I have considered just about every multi-hull option (tri-marans and other cats) and I keep coming back to the Mac 36, given it's size, low maintenance, accommodations, build materials and price.

I realize the berths are tight, but I have slept in a Cat berth in the tropics and it's not very comfortable (heat-wise), so it seems to me you're better off with an open deck cat where you can sleep on the deck. I would want a light core deck with at least a bimini of some sort that would double as a rain catchment system. I really like the "beachable" capability, too.

I've been checking out the Iroquois cats, but again, I think for the tropics, you're better off with the open deck Mac 36. Plus the Mac 36 doesn't have any balsa-core decking, and with an open deck, it doesn't have the headroom limit in the "bridgedeck cabin".

I've done some research on the Mac 36's and spoken to Todd & Cheryl at BW Yachts, who advise strongly against the idea due to the "performance nature" of the Mac 36.

I have had other people say that the hulls are not thick enough to endure offshore sailing, but she is rated Category B. Apparently there are a number of spots on the hulls that oil can, and one particular person was not comfortable with that.

I understand that the earlier models (single dagger board models) were heavier than the later models. Could this be because they trimmed down the hull thickness to reduce weight? Maybe I would be better off with an older version because it might have thicker hulls?

There's one here in Hawaii that had the rigging fail and the mast bent, so it's currently configured as a power boat. Assuming there was no other damage when the mast came down, maybe this would be a reasonable option, since I could put a more conservative rig on her. I don't need super performance, but wouldn't I be able to put a rig on there that would not make her so "temperamental", but still provide above average performance, including decent performance in light air (read: Doldrums)?

Any feedback/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!

Craig
CraigDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:26   #95
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Guy I know bought one in the States back in the 90's and sailed it down the E Coast and to the Caribbean then across to the Med.. tried talking me into swapping my Carter 30 for his Mac... might have been interested had his aft beam not been stuffed...
last time I saw him was in Faro a couple of years later when he was on his way home to Sweden..
So... if treated gently they can get around... mind... it scared the crap outa him a few times...
Personally I'd rather the Tiki 30 or 36..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 13:38   #96

Boat: wharram tiki 26

+1 for the tikis, for the tropics they have what you want. Tiki 38 ?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 15:18   #97

I would prefer an Iroquois to a Wharram.
Old 12-08-2013, 15:31   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have you experienced either...? if not I'd suggest you try them out.. if the open bridgedeck bothers you its an easy fix to create an aesthetically pleasing shelter.. the Iroquois is prone to slamming having 1/3rd the clearance... gets awful wearing on a long trek.. and that salon needs a safety helmet...

Old 12-08-2013, 15:43   #99

No, I haven't experienced either. I actually prefer an open deck, it's just that the Wharrams are more function than "snaz". (Read: not very good woman magnets).
I'm also a bit concerned about light air performance, since I'll have to deal with the Doldrums.
Old 12-08-2013, 15:56   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDC View Post
No, I haven't experienced either. I actually prefer an open deck, it's just that the Wharrams are more function than "snaz". (Read: not very good woman magnets).
I'm also a bit concerned about light air performance, since I'll have to deal with the Doldrums.
Well the Iroquois is 30ft... the Tiki 30 is likely 2/3rds the weight...
I would not however go for the 'cockpit; in each hull though.. do the cabin Tiki 26 style... as for women... depends what your looking for... hot surfing gals into snorkelling and adventure...
Not so good for the disco diva with painted nails tho'...

Old 12-08-2013, 16:27   #101

How about a Horstman Tri-Star 28?
How would that compare to a Tiki 30?
Old 12-08-2013, 16:36   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cramped... (even more)...

Old 13-08-2013, 14:59   #103

Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a samll catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrookie View Post
We have been downsizing from 5K+ house with lots of stuff, cars, etc., and don't want to go bigger than we have to in order to sail. Thus the question of smallest/safest size. We don't want to be Spartan, just comfortable.

Lower maintenance costs are a plus but wont kill the deal.

Ease of handling with single crew if necessary is a must.

We aren't necessarily looking for speed, as there is no agenda or time limit in mind.

We want to do a trade winds circ.

E doesn't like the heeling in a mono so we are going with a cat.

Really, any size from 38 to 44 would work, we just want to go small.

Capn Fatty's book has just been ordered.

H&E
I'm on a what was a John Gross 32 Fast Back, it's now a 35 sugar scoop back an lot better, beam 16 foot, I've been on her eleven years love here been in two typhoon I would not be in any other boat.
I'm disabled and this boat is magic easy of getting in marinas stepping on and off ease to sail single handed.

I done did over 20,000 km in the first four year owning here are getting ready to do 3000km in the next month I have gone up the east coast of Australia and over the top and I to Asia to Philippines up there if u want to sail you wait for a tyhpoon or motor hahaha. Longest out at sea no land 15 days.

Just make sure you have a sea parra shoot for safety.

I have seen a boat so small how he was not wet all the time beats me but as he said a small boat I'd sooner in a storm it's like a cork as a ship is like a rock, I would not like to be on a yacht they move to much and can not beach to clean or have to anchor out to far from shore, in Asia a cats best cause to find anchorages is hard cause u only have small areas to anchor in reef areas yachts just can't get in.

Now a cat with a keel is nice when you beach to clean which is only once a year or so but the downside is you can't surf good with a keel you are more likely to roll over if you are not on the ball 24/7 as with no keel u can surf side ways it won't matter, it all about how it gets you in the head in bad weather it not so much the boat it not nice out there one bit,

Speed a cat has long as you put nothing on it I'm loaded up haha still do 5-7 knots not fast but gets me there safe and a cat u can up anchor and go a mono you got pack everything away.

Go cat go
Tear Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 15:16   #104

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Welcome aboard tear away, thankyou for confirming my prejudices.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 15:26   #105

Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a samll catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I think its not so much a matter of size, you will be no more comfortable in a 42' than a 38 or for that matter even a 32 if the weather turns to crap and you have to beat to windward. A 42 cat will pound and be uncomfortable just as a smaller cat would be trying to beat thru steep close seas. On the other hand a 32-34' cat will be almost as comfy surfing down waves and running with big seas. That is the compromise with a cat, they just arent comfortable going to weather in the nasty, but on all other points of sail are much better than a mono. If your circumnavigating than you want load capacity, simplistic easy to repair systems, and a cat you can handle. Handling sails (both raising lowering, furling and or removing them) may be alot easier on a 38 than a 42. Also the bigger the cat the more power the sails have and more caution needed when adjusting etc, just my 2C.

Correct pounding you don't want a wide cat that hangs low or even a small cat that hangs low better to have bit less head room in bed than that pounding. A32 is good for two people but you will need a water maker really no matter what size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	65472  
Tear Away is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising, water