Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 22:15   #1

Big cat refit

I’ve been looking into the purchase of a big 58’ plus catamaran for personal use. It would be in crewed charter when not in use. After looking at new cats, I occasionally find a cat that is reasonable enough to gut and renovate. as a full time landlord/ developer, I am quite hands on if need be. This type of project also seems interesting to get exactly what I want using a well built older shell. There seem to be quite a few older Lagoon 620s still in crewed charter despite being close to 10 years old. With that said I’m interested in finding a company who would be able to tackle a full renovation to a high standard, whether it be in the US or elsewhere. Quality and cost would determine where in the world I’d be willing to send it. Any thoughts?
Catguytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 01:27   #2

Re: Big cat refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catguytobe View Post
I’ve been looking into the purchase of a big 58’ plus catamaran for personal use. It would be in crewed charter when not in use. After looking at new cats, I occasionally find a cat that is reasonable enough to gut and renovate. as a full time landlord/ developer, I am quite hands on if need be. This type of project also seems interesting to get exactly what I want using a well built older shell. There seem to be quite a few older Lagoon 620s still in crewed charter despite being close to 10 years old. With that said I’m interested in finding a company who would be able to tackle a full renovation to a high standard, whether it be in the US or elsewhere. Quality and cost would determine where in the world I’d be willing to send it. Any thoughts?
My thought is that it would be very expensive. Very.

I am not an expert but I have seen some absolutely stunning refit bills for cats in that size range. $400,000. $750,000. $1,200,000.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 11:10   #3

The same decked out brand new Lagoon 620 is roughly $2,200,000 and they really can’t be customized at all except for layout. If I took a used boat and made minor adjustments to layout but styled it more like a sunreef, it might make sense, even at $1,200,000. Do you know of any companies who would do all or most of the work? I’d be willing to go to the US, Caribbean, Europe, etc if I find the right package and price to reflect my goals. I don’t know the industry well enough to achieve such an extreme refit for this sized boat.
Old 19-02-2020, 11:13   #4

Boat: Baba 35

I would look into Mexico for something like that.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 14:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catguytobe View Post
The same decked out brand new Lagoon 620 is roughly $2,200,000 and they really can’t be customized at all except for layout. If I took a used boat and made minor adjustments to layout but styled it more like a sunreef, it might make sense, even at $1,200,000. Do you know of any companies who would do all or most of the work? I’d be willing to go to the US, Caribbean, Europe, etc if I find the right package and price to reflect my goals. I don’t know the industry well enough to achieve such an extreme refit for this sized boat.
I don't really know, but one thing you could do is start calling some of the bigger yards in Mallorca, Turkey etc. that cater to large custom yachts, incl. superyachts and see what they would quote to do a refit.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:50   #6

Sounds good everyone. Thanks for the input. I don’t know of any yards here or out of the country, so if anyone has one or two suggestions, I’d appreciate a starting point. I just started poking around and making calls by haven’t gotten far.
Old 20-02-2020, 12:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Well, if you don't mind to come until Turkey, we can handle this. We did refit/intensive works on a number of big yachts (Farr 76) but mostly on large cats ; (FP 56, Catana 58, Outremer 51, Lagoon 52, FP 57, Sunreef 60, to name a few..
The cost of 1 mio or so for refit is out of mind, if so you better buy a new one. The refit is a general term and the final bill will depend a great deal on what is needed. The most expensive items are of course full paint, teak deck , standing rigging and sails.Even if you need all of them , the cost will be around 350-400 K US max. including the marina and haul out expenses.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 22:24   #8

It sounds like you work at such a place that light work out for me if I decide to buy a used cat. Do you have a website and email address that I can reference and reach you through? I can go into greater detail.
Old 20-02-2020, 22:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I've sent a PM.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit