Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 07:43   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Best spinnaker for Leopard-44

I have a relatively new crew, (new sailing couple).

And I need a sail for direct down wind.

The sail combo I have now jib & main, don't work well past a broad reach due to sail size vs track for jib, and swept back spreaders, and twin mainsheets for main.

I want a sail that will be easy to use, and give good performance dead down wind.

I will rarely use it except in light air, and if I need to maneuver, or adjust to wind, I will just douse it, and go back to jib.

What recommendations?

One guy told me symmetrical, but the sail loft insisted asymmetrical would be better.

I don't have a bowsprite so a code zero is out for now. (I did see one boat that had one installed on a hull instead).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:15   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Best spinnaker for Leopard-44

For dead down wind the best option is to remove the main. Whatever you put in front of the mast is dependent on the amount of wind.

In 20+ knots the jib on its own will be plenty. Add a second sheet to it that is lead through a snatch block or similar mounted near the deck edge and much further forward than the track, then back to a cockpit winch. Ease the regular sheet and transfer the load onto the new sheet, effectively a barber haul. That will hold the sail out and flatten it so it projects more area.

We have a self tacking jib and we put the snatch block about 2/3 of the way forward from the track towards the front beam, but right to the deck edge. We have an aluminium toe rail, but if you don’t have that install a pad eye instead. You could use a cleat if one is near there and has a good backing plate, but I wouldn’t recommend using a stanchion base.

Regarding spinnaker, for DDW (and other angles below a reach) it doesn’t matter whether it’s symmetric or asymmetric. The asymmetric is easier to handle, requires fewer lines (a sheet and a tack line, vs two sheets and two tack lines), and will be able to sail to a beam reach or even higher in light winds. However, the symmetric spinnaker will be easier to gybe (no need to furl or sock it to gybe).

Either sail could have a sock, while the asymmetric could have a top down furler. Some people prefer the furler, though it does add complexity and cost. With a furler you don’t have to go forward to furl, while with a sock you have to be under the sail to hoist or pull down the sock.

In both cases you lead the tack line to the windward bow and position the tack roughly just above the bow, maybe 2-3 metres above. As the wind angle comes forward from DDW you ease the tack towards the centreline. You may need a second tack line to the other bow to prevent the tack from rising too far (basically creating a bridle).

There was another thread just recently with lots of good pictures and explanations of using spinnakers: Rigging a Spinnaker on a Catamaran
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=242661
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, spinnaker