Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 06:13   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Yup I hang a 12 foot Carolina skiff with a 25 hp 4 stroke. I vowed to never own defeat able again.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:17   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Yup I hang a 12 foot Carolina skiff with a 25 hp 4 stroke. I vowed to never own defeat able again.
Darn auto correct "deflatable" but then again I guess those hypalon rings defeated me lol

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:20   #18

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Best Dingy for a 45' Cat?

We dive far from shore to. Its just never occured to me not to bring the big boat to the dive site. What if I get thirsty or have a sudden craving for a PB&J. Does your dinghy have a refigerator? Damit now I've got to go design a refrigerator mod for my ugly Porta, thanks alot!
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:45   #19

I also agree with the 10-12ft flat bottomed punt as I have had many different dinghys over the years and overall, the punt is generally the best by a long shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
We dive far from shore to. Its just never occured to me not to bring the big boat to the dive site.
I also dive around rocky and reefy structure far from shore but it never occurred to me to take the big boat in to these tight areas probably because it would be dangerous to do so.
Much safer to leave the boat in that safe anchorage and dinghy into the tight areas says I.
Quote:
What if I get thirsty or have a sudden craving for a PB&J. Does your dinghy have a refigerator?
I take a couple of frozen bottles of water out of the freezer and put it in the esky I have in the dinghy, add a sandwich and a few drinks and your good to go
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:52   #20

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Yes, I do have a recommendation. I'd tear off the davits on your boat. install a hard deck below the dingy, install a full telescoping gangway like lagoon4us has, make it also a deck crane, and buy a 14' AB aluminum dingy with a jockey console. Maybe a 50 hp motor. Perfect.
Lammina 14 AL

I'd give up almost every extra accessory including my ice maker for a large (16') dingy with a deck crane that also worked as a gangway.
That sounds like a perfect setup for a motorsailer.
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 06:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Y install a full telescoping gangway like lagoon4us has, make it also a deck crane

a large (16') dingy with a deck crane that also worked as a gangway.
Pictures, please say you have pictures
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:46   #22
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
That sounds like a perfect setup for a motorsailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Pictures, please say you have pictures
If you cruise the Med, you will motor quite a bit. It can't be avoided unless you want to spend half the summer waiting for wind.

As for pictures, look up lagoon4us in the community tab and check his uploaded pictures. I know he has posted one of the passerelle.

I have a 13' AB aluminum right now with a 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke. It can get up on plane with 5 adults and we can go quite far. I took it from Anti Paxi all the way around Paxi and back with 3 people on board. About a 3 hour trip.

IMO, a large fast rib is very important and adds so much to what you can do off your cat.
Old 28-08-2013, 08:07   #23

Boat: PT-11

AB Lamina 10'6" with Yammy 15hp. Done
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:08   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A 10'06" AB Lite (120 pounds) and a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke (80 pounds).

Actually, if you can afford it, the AB aluminum RIB is even better.

My AB is ten years old now. No patches, no need for new tubes.
Old 28-08-2013, 08:14   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I had a Hypalon Zodiac with a 10 HP Honda as my last dink. It would get up on a plane with two people, but add dive gear and it wouldn't lift off. Since then, newer boats have emerged. Having had the chance to test a number of boats for my 40 foot trimaran, I am moving toward an aluminum hull with a 15 HP motor. It will move four people on a full plane and get two divers up as well. I like to store the dink on the quarterdeck, with a roller, to allow a quick and effortless launch in seconds. Hauling the dink involves hooking the halyard to a three-point bridle, lifting the bow onto the wing roller, then simply raising the halyard. The boat is pulled forward as it raises, a singlehanded operation.

Also, I installed a small bow roller, pointed vertically on the transom, to make raising an anchor or buckets of gold doubloons an easier task. In my next boat I will be installing a removable electronics package so that I can use the dink as a "scout" boat to check out a channel or pass prior to bringing the mothership in.

Further, should Lehr continue appearing to be a good package, I will also include one of their propane engines as a primary (15 HP) engine or a "kicker" (2.5 to 5 HP) backup engine. Propane is getting to be ubiquitous, and holds up better than gasoline in backwater areas. Plus, I can run the barbecue off of the supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1292097844756.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	66123  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 08:27   #26

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

I'm no expert on this but what we put on our 44' power cat is a 10 ft Achilles, hard bottom, w 15hp, 4 stroke. What we took into consideration was - weight of dinghy/motor, ease of starting the motor, small dog we have, ability to get scuba gear in and out(not the easiest but it works), what we wanted to use it for(jaunting from anchorage to a dock). Just have to decide as to what you want to use it for and if it work with your davits(we put hydraulic new designed davits(took the Endeavor ones off)). It's a tough decision but ask a lot questions and try some out before you buy. I had to try to start dinghy motors myself before we made our decision, and even had to get in a few and "test" drive some. It's all a compromise- you give and take here and there. But if you have a spouse make sure he/she can start it and drive it and is comfortable with it also. Your life may depend on it!!!
The best to you on this one!
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:06   #27

Boat: Catana 471

Caribe L11 - 154 lbs and Yam 15 2 stroke - 84 lbs fast plane 4 adults (a bit of gear)
3 adults(lots of gear)
my wife and I can still move it on and off a beach with some grunting.
The 15 Yamaha 2 stroke is widely still used from what we have seen.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Distance is a killer for small dinghy travel when the wind,tide sea state change and catch you out, then you find that you dont want to go out as often when this becomes the case.

My choice = long distance Zego Sports Boat Zego - The Ultimate 3 Meter Boat - Versatile, Safe, Fun!

= short distance a Takacat with a 2hp honda

if you only want one dinghy try a Bullfrog, whaly or a full poly boat no air leaks and rocks to worry about damaging your hull and get a consul so long distance is comfortable especially if you need to cross river bars etc
The Zego looks cool but $16k is an insane price.

We used to have a dux (similar to takacat). On the bigger boat of the OP, it would be a great option with a 15-25hp outboard. Fast, dry riding, can handle pretty big waves with ease, carrys a lot if needed. The only issue is it's an inflatable. I would take one in a heartbeat over a rib.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:14   #29

a 10hp hypalon RIB (AB lite comes to mind if they still sell it) with 10-15 hp and davits on your cat would be the unanimous choice for function and pleasure cruising.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:23   #30

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe a Cat Dingy would work for you in a 10' or 12 foot.

THE 10 FOOTER | Sorensen Boats

LV10 | Livingston Power Catamaran Skiff Boats | Livingston Boats

I am building a cat dingy right now that will be 9 foot 10 inchs and weight 85 lbs

Why a cat dingy verses and inflatable.
1) Most inflatables give a wet ride in 15+ knot chop
2) Inflatables are noisy when tied behind the boat and water laps up under the tubes
3) Inflatables need more HP to push them
4) Inflatables row poorly
5) Inflatables get stains and are hard to clean
6) Inflatables get leaks and most need to be repaired in just 4 years
7) Plane 600 pounds with only 10 horsepower
8) The Cat seating arrangement gives you the advantage of choosing the direction you wish to face.
9) The Cat Tunnel increases the hull planning efficiently, by causing the water flow through it, to form a pressure which enhances the lift
10) Cat dingys are Super Stable, Roomy, Safe and can carry a big payload and still plane with low horsepower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Livingston_9_inside.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	66129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sorensen 10ft.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	66130  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote