Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 15:03   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Best Cruising Cat For Liveaboard Couples

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My 43ft cat doesn't have a hydraulic autopilot.
OK. I stand corrected.

I guess the factory option (and therefore de-facto standard) for a FP Belize was a hydraulic autopilot.
Even my tiny FP Mahe has a hydraulic AP.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 15:14   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I think he is using the term "hydraulic" to mean "below deck", and only referring to the drive unit at that. There are certainly many options for rugged below deck pilots that do not use hydraulics for their drive units, and no AP in general requires a hydraulic drive.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:22   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
OK. I stand corrected.

I guess the factory option (and therefore de-facto standard) for a FP Belize was a hydraulic autopilot.
Even my tiny FP Mahe has a hydraulic AP.
Don't know if there is such a thing as a single factory option, but ,mine's a Raymarine mechanical linear electric drive (Type 2).

To quote Raymarine:

Mechanical linear:
Our most commonly used drive types for sailing vessels. Raymarine mechanical linear drives provide powerful thrust, fast hard-over times and quiet operation...
Hydraulic linear:
Designed for larger mechanically steered vessels over 20,000kg...

Mechanical Linear Drives | Raymarine
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
If I wanted a sub 100k cat, Id look really hard at the 36 endeavourcat in Ft myers Fl if it hasnt sold. You wont find a more comfortable cat under 38ft. Its 70k.us. maybe not a blue water cat but great us bahamas caribbean, its smaller sister the 30' has crossed oceans. Maybe even a 36 pdq you can fi.d some deals on them.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
thanks, max 70-80k..

I've read some people get oceanic crossic with event 34 feeling always safe
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:28   #20

Quote:
Well it does get more expensive. Maybe not a big issue between 35 and 37 ft, but certanily as you get into bigger boats like a 12m. And its not just more antifouling or bigger sails in need of replacement.

Bigger boats typically have more systems and stuff aboard. A 35ft cat may have tiller steering with a small tiller pilot for 250 Euro. A 40ft cat certainly has a hydraulic autopilot which costs 20times of that.
A 35ft cat may have a small kerosine stove. The 40ft cat will have a gas installation with stove and oven.

Don't expect much charter income. A 30yr old cat will fetch a fraction of the charter income of a new one. I doubt its worth the hassle.

Mh...luckly in italy there is no difference in price of chartering (with me as captain) from a new boat (that no one has) and a 1980 boat

In theory i would fit the gas stove and oven in the event 34 either (or snowgoose 35)
Old 14-01-2016, 17:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Any thoughts on the Louisane 37'. Aside from the annoyance of each of it's living spaces being seperate?

Seen but too raw too much plastics no inboard engine...

Like the endevour 30 (even it's a bit better)

Thanks however both
Old 14-01-2016, 17:41   #22

About the autopilot

Base core accu 400 is 2000 euro, only the unit

About 1200 euro for an hydraulic pump and control unit (no lcd, no actuator, but i guess 500 euro you get it)

The t1 12v dc actuator ONLY 1800 euro, all the kit 2800 euro (lcd screen included)

1500 euro the "ugly" wheel actuator kit with lcd screen..not bad at all tho
Old 14-01-2016, 19:17   #23

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

If you look at escale 39s I forget the years but stay away from the models that had the square companion way hatch top. They were poorly designed and had lots of structural problems. After 2 years prout changed it and made a rounded hatch top with different mast support that is much stronger.

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 00:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post

Mh...luckly in italy there is no difference in price of chartering (with me as captain) from a new boat (that no one has) and a 1980 boat

In theory i would fit the gas stove and oven in the event 34 either (or snowgoose 35)
OK, for cabin charter the difference may be less, but certainly is there. Too many folks are playing in that field.
All I'm saying: Just be careful and don't depend on that income.

Autopilots:
The vast majority of boats that I looked at so far (and that was maybe 30 boats, from a FP Mahe to a Lagoon 420) had hydraulic autopilots. That is like the Raymarine linear drive.
A few FP Mahe had belt driven wheeldrive units.

I have never seen mechnical linear drives, except in tiller pilots. But, obviously they do exist.

Even my little Mahe has a Raymarine hydraulic linear drive.

I doubt you will be able to replace such a unit (including sensors, course computer, LCD head unit, compass, drive, and all the little things that go along) for under 5000 euro.
Maybe its possible to beat this, but not by much.

But that was just one example why bigger boat always means bigger money. There are steps where things get from "cheap" to "expensive". Like the step up from the tiller pilot, or the step up from a manual windlass to an electrical one (which reuqires bigger cables, bigger batteries, breakers, ...).
Old 15-01-2016, 05:10   #25

Have you seen this one:
2010 Aventura 36 open

It is also listed on the manufacturer's website, with fewer picture and lower price (no commission I guess).
See here

I have never seen one in person, but several for sale in France. Not the best design in my view (too high coachroof, fine sterns) but for that money...

I do like the looks of their 33ft cat ...

EDIT:
I just read that you want to circumnavigate. In that case anything in <=35ft is pretty small for payload. And I never heard of an Aventura making any major crossing. So maybe not the tright choice.
Old 15-01-2016, 13:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
If you look at escale 39s I forget the years but stay away from the models that had the square companion way hatch top. They were poorly designed and had lots of structural problems. After 2 years prout changed it and made a rounded hatch top with different mast support that is much stronger.

Thanks for the info
Old 15-01-2016, 14:04   #27

Quote:
Have you seen this one:
2010 Aventura 36 open

It is also listed on the manufacturer's website, with fewer picture and lower price (no commission I guess).
See here

I have never seen one in person, but several for sale in France. Not the best design in my view (too high coachroof, fine sterns) but for that money...

I do like the looks of their 33ft cat ...

EDIT:
I just read that you want to circumnavigate. In that case anything in <=35ft is pretty small for payload. And I never heard of an Aventura making any major crossing. So maybe not the tright choice.
Thanks, the ventura looks very good for that price and its very good priced...good engine and so on..i realli like the exterior design, but inside look like too coastal cruiser...

I would thought about get the event 34, and get longer hulls, like 3 feet ahead and another 3 feet at stern with sugar sloop with stairs and bathing ladder. ( cut where the main platform end and add a external wood mold, fiberglass inside, remove the mold, add fiberglass outside, with aluminium reinforcement straight on the bottom and the side of the hull, add a strong aluminium L on the bows for protection, then all the hull recovered with basalt fiber and epoxy, also under the main platform, as reinforcment)

Longer hull more speed and carrying capacity without increasing draft (and so drag)

If money will can also 2 x 30 hp beta marine....but i will think further...

All the work done by myself....

Or it gets cheaper get directly a 37 or 39 ? Maybe the 37 ( about 80k vs 60 for the event 34) or the ultimate 39 ( around 100-110k, but no more money at all for small refit/ customization) ok maybe chartering it sometimes but from 60 to 100 ( and unequipped is 40k..lot of chartering, not worth even for the price of 2 x engine alreay fitted, and 20 years old VS new, for this just the 34 with longer hull)

What about a solaris sunrise 36? But i can't find any specs on sailboat data..any ideas on how to get more info about it?
Average price, good interior, medium bad equipped but especially i don't but i doesn't look so oceanic but more close coastal cruise

Or am i wrong?

Thanks all
Stef
Old 15-01-2016, 14:07   #28

Quote:
OK, for cabin charter the difference may be less, but certainly is there. Too many folks are playing in that field.
All I'm saying: Just be careful and don't depend on that income.

Autopilots:
The vast majority of boats that I looked at so far (and that was maybe 30 boats, from a FP Mahe to a Lagoon 420) had hydraulic autopilots. That is like the Raymarine linear drive.
A few FP Mahe had belt driven wheeldrive units.

I have never seen mechnical linear drives, except in tiller pilots. But, obviously they do exist.

Even my little Mahe has a Raymarine hydraulic linear drive.

I doubt you will be able to replace such a unit (including sensors, course computer, LCD head unit, compass, drive, and all the little things that go along) for under 5000 euro.
Maybe its possible to beat this, but not by much.

But that was just one example why bigger boat always means bigger money. There are steps where things get from "cheap" to "expensive". Like the step up from the tiller pilot, or the step up from a manual windlass to an electrical one (which reuqires bigger cables, bigger batteries, breakers, ...).
Thanks for the advice.

Yes i saw like for for monohull from 40-45 ft it has reasonable price then everything turn twice or 3 times more and more..

Tags
cruising, liveaboard