Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 16:10   #76

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Best complimentary second anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hey Rabbi,great input.

What is the precise anchor app you use? Title & Publisher please.

If I get another backup I have settled for a 16kg Kobra II in addition to the Bügel which I have already.
Still, note well your comments on it.
Manson Supreme, Rocna and Mantus seem great but the prices are almost 3times higher than the Kobra II which has usually similar test results.

My past experience with the Kobra I underlines this choice.
I usually have 3anchors with me on bigger trips, and had situations where this allowed me to sleep better :-D

Btw. If the Mahe would not be way out of my price range, she would be the boat I would get.

Cheerio and enjoy the warm weather,here it is close to freezing.

Franziska
The android app is called "anchor alert". It's the first Google result. For an app its very expensive at 12 euro but in the great scheme of things its OK compared to a dedicated device. I bought it maybe five years ago when it was way cheaper. Maybe there are other alternatives but this one workes for me. We almost never visit marinas so we rely on our anchor setup. We also added USB charging sockets to the cabins to keep the phone charged.

I would change our kobra for a bugel in a minute. The kobra is not a bad anchor but the maximum holding power of the bugel seems to be better. At least for the 24kg bugel i bought at SVB back in 2011. These were badly galvanized Chinese copies but the geometry and weight distribution was good. Other knock offs may be different of course.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 04:18   #77

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Why people think those anchors, which have maybe half the fluke area as the new gen anchors do, make any sense is beyond me.

Well, FWIW I didn't mean that as a blanket condemnation of the Delta anchors. They seem to have their place, and work well enough in many circumstances... although with them, heavier/bigger (per boat size/weight) seems more effective than the smaller versions.

We've used Deltas and only fond them to be less effective when overloaded or in slimey mud. Had 8-9 32-38' boats rafted on our 35-lb Delta once, and a combination of light breeze and incoming tide had the whole raft moving upstream... and as we fixed that, we discovered our "holding" ground there was very soft mud. Another time, only our own (different) boat on the anchor (the next smaller Delta size, to fit that pulpit) and we started drifting... turned out to be very slimey bottom.

Otherwise, they worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
We were racing and in a yacht that means not using the engine. Sometimes in a yacht race it can be necessary to anchor to stop going backwards with the tide.

The anchor never touched bottom. It streamed forward. That is in relation to us trying to go forward.
The anchor was a Danforth and the flukes must have been forced upwards by the current.

Yeah, sorry, I saw the "moving backwards" part and therefore glossed over the "racing" part. In what we're used to, racing and moving backwards don't usually happen in the same sentence.

But thanks for the additional clarification, that's interesting.

We only used a real Danforth for a short while before we relegated it to backup status. Never had that kind of sailing (streaming, not reaching the bottom) problem, nor did we have problems with reset on tide changes... although we did have issues with getting it properly set it from time to time. Can't remember the weight; guessing 15-lbs or less on a 14-ton boat. That was the one we changed to a 35-lb Delta... which worked OK except for that raft incident (above).

-Chris
Old 24-12-2015, 05:07   #78

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Example of high end product support!!

After a first trial was hampered by overly diligent custom officers I received today a pair of free mudpalms from Brian at Fortress.
Surely awesome timing and outstanding product support.
They are in the US and I am in Germany.
Can't wait to try them in spring.
Big thank-you and merry x-mas to all of you!

Franziska

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13   #79

Boat: CS30
Smile Re: Best complimentary second anchor?

Our FX37 performed very well in a hurricane hole (Egmont harbour, Grenada, hurricane Brett 1993), boat held totally solid. We did not have mud palms at the time. Brian of Fortress anchors sent us new ones free of charge, and we are very grateful and looking forward to once again anchoring in the Caribbean soon!
Ships_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men