Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2020, 07:57   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Best boat for extended quarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Some people keep adding failure modes and more fragile systems. The last time I looked at ARC after-passage reports the two biggest failures were generators and watermakers.

This is an interesting fact. Do you know if it is the watermakers themselves that failed, or was it because the generator failed, and most AC units rely on generators to operate?
Old 24-04-2020, 08:03   #32

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is an interesting fact. Do you know if it is the watermakers themselves that failed, or was it because the generator failed, and most AC units rely on generators to operate?
Good question. Failure cascades are one of my big concerns on passage. The data you ask for was not clear in what I read. I'm speculating that most people would not tick the box for a watermaker failure if the generator failed. Some might. Note that there are lots of DC watermakers, especially on boats set up for passagemaking. That would surely be my preference.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 08:19   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Good question. Failure cascades are one of my big concerns on passage. The data you ask for was not clear in what I read. I'm speculating that most people would not tick the box for a watermaker failure if the generator failed. Some might. Note that there are lots of DC watermakers, especially on boats set up for passagemaking. That would surely be my preference.
Thanks Auspicious. Too bad we don't have that cleanly differentiated. You're probably correct, but there is uncertainty. If it is the watermaker that failed, I'd love to know if there was any difference between DC vs AC versions.

If I ever get a WM I'd want a DC version. Being dependent on an AC generator is definitely one big reason to go with DC.
Old 24-04-2020, 08:59   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If I ever get a WM I'd want a DC version.
I agree. Uncertainty does add noise to the data. The data was pretty consistent over many years.

Looking at USG/Ah/capital $ I found a sweet spot around 300-350 gpd regardless of manufacturer. I have found directly and through colleagues that the biggest source of failures for watermakers are in fancy electronic controls. If I was to buy my own (working on other people's watermakers puts you off) I'd chose the manual Spectra Cape Horn. YMMV.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 09:08   #35

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Some quarantine boat ideas:

Where is this? We have something similar here in the Puget Sound on Lake Union (fresh water inside the locks in Seattle)
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 15:46   #36

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:

That certainly means no induction cooking. I have absolutely nothing nice to say about that idea.

I’m not sure how you see induction stove as a failure point?
Induction stoves are well proven and not likely to fail.

Lithium batteries (or any battery type, but lithium is suited to the heavy draw of induction stoves)

Plenty of solar and wind to keep the battery charged.

I’ve just spent 6 weeks in the Bahamas with an induction stove and I don’t have a generator.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 16:03   #37

Boat: LAGOON 400

i think it should be best equipment for quarantine, boat type is really not that important, cat is better as one can move more.

we really enjoying quarantine and live very self sufficient.

WM Rainman that has proven reliable. Same with honda generator. We have 40 L of petrol on board that will give us 8000 L of water which is enough for 1/2 year.

Electric outboard requires nothing but solar.

We sail on and off anchor most of time so have to make sure i turn on diesel 1x per 2 weeks.

We have space/carry ability for around 3 t of food, not to affect seaworthiness which is asset. Of course we do not carry taht much.

Hull cleaning is another fun exercise. Paddling.

360 W of flexible solar and 400 AH of lithium we have plenty of energy, never had to charge with anything else but solar.

We love simple and back to nature life we have been forced into initially.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 19:02   #38

I nominate Wolf on Noos, a Neel 51 trimaran with electric conversion and some zany self-sufficiency ideas: https://www.torqeedo.com/en/news-and...9-11-19-2.html

I’d also nominate anyone who has a great boat companion. The boat is important. The companion is key.
torpnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 19:22   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Wow, how the virus can change the world. 2 months ago the houseboat anchor outs were boat scum. Now they're the vehicle of choice for the well to do.
Depends on the house boat of course...friends have 65', 4 levels, high tech everything...very different than the stereotypic rotting barge in Florida.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 21:06   #40

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Agree about good solar array and big house bank; should be enough to run fridge and charge up stuff when you are dumping power. My 440AH bank is normally charged by 10:30AM and I charge up things after that; or maybe run things like power tools or my electric pot. Also can charge my Torquedo for the inflatable and the Battle Born battery which will run the hookah for a couple of hours at 30 feet. Fuel tanks are not that big but I do have jerry cans if needed. A composting head really solves lots of problems for me but if there are lots of peeps on the boat it may not be the answer. I do have two sleeping bags; one is a four seasons and have been in 14 degrees F on land in a tent with no problem, other is for summer nights but I often only use a sheet. I tend to wash clothes in a bucket and hope for rain.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is a solar oven. While I have two propane tanks and normally get six months out of each I have been able to bake bread in the solar oven and it is really great for long slow cooking during the day.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat