Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 13:11   #1

Basic Security Camera systems

Hi all, looking for some experience-based advice please. We are shortly hoping to finally take possession of a Leopard 38 and it is likely it will be based on a pole mooring. This of course means being left for longer periods of time at the mercy of the elements, the tides and the honesty and respect of others. It will be in a cellular coverage area so I would like to investigate easy to setup basic camera and alarm systems that can connect to 3G/4G via a broadband data package, ideally with integration to a mobile app. 1 or 2 cameras, and 1 or 2 sensors. If it has add-ons like anchor watch, bilge alarms etc, all the better but not necessary. Anybody have experience of such systems here please? We are New Zealand based.
ColinCattanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 20:34   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Basic Security Camera systems

Will something like HomeKit or one of the open source options work for you?
Old 31-05-2023, 03:08   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

For monitoring our boat, we use Floathub. It will monitor batteries, pumps, charging sources, and has a built in GPS for position. You can run the NMEA data through it and then it will also monitor all the other data, wind, depth, AIS, etc. Basic monitoring is free. At $149 it is a fantastic deal. The basic model uses wifi, but they have models with integrated cell connection as well. For video, we have used the Blink cameras on our boat. Everything was on wifi that went to an inexpensive cellular hotspot.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 21:04   #4

Boat: Newporter 40

Siren Marine is a great option as well. We use it for basic security and monitoring the bilge on our old Newporter 40 that is on a mooring. It came in useful during this year's winter season.

https://pacificsailboatsupply.com/co...toring-systems
Leprechaun70195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:05   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Simple DIY wireless with SIM card support (you supply the card from your favorite carrier)

Cudy AC1200 Dual Band Unlocked 4G LTE Modem Router with SIM Card Slot, **https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the camera, I use a Reolink Argus PT mounted on one of my shrouds with its own solar panel. It has excellent picture quality (day and night) and using the app for control I can pan 360 to view the entire boat and surroundings. I posted an attachment screen snap of the app.

One bonus feature of the Reolink is that when you are aboard you can directly connect to the camera(s) without internet IF you also connect your phone to the same wireless hotspot (in my case, the Cudy router). Most other wireless security cams will not work at all without a live internet connection.
I can point it straight down when docking, and view the dock on the side of my boat where I have poor visibility from the helm. It could also be used as a rear facing cam when docking.

For a “security system” that monitors the boat’s battery, bilge etc. you can connect any other wireless system to the Cudy. You can also get additional Reolink cams for inside views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6862.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	276619  
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 11:38   #6

I ran across this today. It may be helpful:

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/security-...rce=SmartBrief
Nautes is offline   Reply With Quote