Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 13:35   #1

bareboat in the San Blas

Hello and happy holidays to all

I realize this is not necessarily a multihull only question, but I would be looking at chartering a cat...........

Since I no longer have the option to sail my boat in the bvi since Irma, I am trying to explore a bit, and look around. Have any of the esteemed forum members chartered, sailed, explored, etc, the San Blas islands off of Panama?

If so, please steer me in the right direction as to where to find some info

Thanks

db
boneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 14:12   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: bareboat in the San Blas

I can't imagine anyone offering bareboats in the San Blas. The place is littered with boats on the reefs with new ones being added every season.
Old 26-12-2017, 16:18   #3

Boat: Boatless

Paul is correct, not the sort of place that a charter company would place boats. Three hit reefs in the 11 months we were in Panama and those were the ones I know about.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 17:16   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive spent a lot of time in the San Blas and there are no bareboat charters there. There are a lot of sketchy backpacker grade charters and a few better operators.

Plenty of boats to salvage off the reefs though...mostly put there by the drunk/stoned/asleep backpacker grade charter captains...and a few inatentive cruisers. Its amazing how many go up on the reefs there.

If you want an alternative, try Belize. Moorings/Sunsail have a significant base there. There are plenty of opportunities to end up on the reef there too, and usually a few bareboaters a year do, but not nearly so many boats go on the reefs as in the San Blas. Both are beautiful destinations with good sailing, but you must be vigilant...better yet have local knowledge aboard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 17:18   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Paul is correct, not the sort of place that a charter company would place boats. Three hit reefs in the 11 months we were in Panama and those were the ones I know about.
We ventured farther into the E San Blas a couple of seasons ago and discovered even more that year. I think because its less frequented by cruisers, you dont hear as much about the ones there. Most of the stories about the wrecks from the local Kunas were of fatigued single handers who just plowed up on the reef while they were asleep. I think many under estimate how arduous the run over from Colombia can be and just simply fall asleep.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat