Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33   #1

Boat: Peter Snell Easy 37'
Bali 4.0 Catamarans

Hi all,
Can anyone give me information on the new Bali 4.0 please? Does anyone own one or looking at purchasing one in the near future? It is one of several yachts we are looking at but reviews are scarce. Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks in advance,

Jason.
jasonleeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 13:53   #2

Re: Bali 4.0 Catamarans

This would seem like a fun and informative way to find out about the boat.

No connection to me at all, actually my Lagoon charter yacht is with another company all together.

Dream Yacht Charters Whitsunday

Catana Bali 4.0

Model: Catana Bali 4.0
Passengers Max: 10
Cabins: 4
Bathrooms: 4
Vessel Launched: 2016
From $1320 per night.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 15:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleeau View Post
Hi all,
Can anyone give me information on the new Bali 4.0 please? Does anyone own one or looking at purchasing one in the near future? It is one of several yachts we are looking at but reviews are scarce. Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks in advance,

Jason.
very Heavy, solid foredeck, very ordinary bridgedeck clearance, pitifully small main, a boom you can't reach, but a very nice apartment
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 15:50   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Jason,
I was able to have an external look at the Bali 4 at Able Point Marina in Queensland only last week. While Catana normally have an excellent reputation I was somewhat disapointed in the external layout of the craft. While the saloon opens up there is very little room to sit in the rear cockpit of the boat. It appears the designers have attempted to bring the outside in by having large sliding windows and doors to open the boat up. The bow area is designed for entertaining and relaxing and has definatley been designed for charters IMO.
The boom and mainsail cannot, I repeat cannot be accessed from the top deck and you have to be utiilise steps on the mast unless you are a very tall person. It would be an absolute sod to work on if there was an issue with the main or boom etc particularly in a seaway. The boom is located several metres above waterline and once again in my opinion looks totally out of place and out of balance. Mind you the Catana is not the only catamaran with this design feature. From looking at the Catana site this only appears to be an issue on the Bali 4.
In saying all of that I dont know what your requirements are and this boat may be perfect for you and suite all your needs.

Greg H
Lagoon 410
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 16:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Oh and like many French boats the 4.0 doesn't refer to length, it isnt 40 foot.
Old 07-08-2016, 20:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Oh and like many French boats the 4.0 doesn't refer to length, it isnt 40 foot.
Are you sure? About this boat and your generalization regarding only French boats? I think that this may be a boat thing, not a French thing.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 21:49   #7

"Oh and like many French boats the 4.0 doesn't refer to length, it isnt 40 foot."

Not what it says on the published specifications. (guess they may be wrong)

Or just maybe it is 40 foot.

Like Ozsailer I looked at it at Abell Point, not my cup of tea either but as he says "it may be perfect for you and suite all your needs".

That's why we have all the different styles of vessel available to us. We are definitely not all the same, nor do we all want the same things from our chosen vessel.

Old 07-08-2016, 21:52   #8
Marine Service Provider

11.93 metres.
39.14042 ft.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 22:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

yep 39 foot.
Old 07-08-2016, 22:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Are you sure? About this boat and your generalization regarding only French boats? I think that this may be a boat thing, not a French thing.
I didnt say ONLY french, I said like MANY French boats. Leopard do it as well on some models.
Old 07-08-2016, 22:55   #11

You obviously have access to more accurate data than we have, is it's source something that can be shared ?

I can understand a Manufacturer rounding up a number to attach to a model name for marketing purposes, they are not going to call it the Bali 3.91402, but should not the published specs give the actual L.O.A.

I guess it is covered by the usual DISCLAIMER: The Specifications above may change at WXYZ's discretion.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:49   #12

Boat: TBA

like factor says many exaggerate the lengths but oddly enough shorten the weight considerably, i think they think we will buy if the the glossy mag says so.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:39   #13

I'm just video/magazine shopping, but here's what I've jotted down on the Bali 4.0:

+ Ergonomic flydeck loungers
+ Awesome huge forward window to the forward lounge area (nice compromise between FP/Lagoon and Leopard's door)
+ Great galley (vs Lagoon 42)
+ A lot of room for solar compared to other boats in this class
+ Nice transom swim platform, simple

- No rear cockpit at all really
- Only a single fainting couch for lounging, the only other shaded seating is at a dining table
- Isolated helm

So say it's a rainy day with the family (two young kids). Are you crowding around a laptop for a disney movie? One person gets to read on the settee, what are the other three people doing? Where's the salon storage and how much of it is there?

Like I said, these are just some thoughts I've jotted down. I haven't had an opportunity to see the boat in person, and one of the bigger questions I have is what does a family of 4 with two small kids do on a boat when you're not ashore exploring or on passage? Lifestyle stuff I don't really have the answers for I guess. But the layout of the Bali 4.0 doesn't offer any inspiration for sure. Until the sun gets low in good weather and the forward deck lounge becomes the focal point, it doesn't seem like a boat built for comfort. So what is it good for? Charter for multiple couples at a time is my best guess?
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 13:45   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
You obviously have access to more accurate data than we have, is it's source something that can be shared ?

I can understand a Manufacturer rounding up a number to attach to a model name for marketing purposes, they are not going to call it the Bali 3.91402, but should not the published specs give the actual L.O.A.

I guess it is covered by the usual DISCLAIMER: The Specifications above may change at WXYZ's discretion.
Many links. Go to each manufacturers website and have a look at the tech specs.
Old 08-08-2016, 14:06   #15

"Go to each manufacturers website and have a look at the tech specs."

I thought that was what I did in post #7, when I posted the Specs taken from The Catana Groups Bali Website.

This scan also from their printed brochure.

Does The Catana Group's, Bali Yachts have other websites, I am unable find or access.

Tags
catamaran