Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 17:57   #1

Bahama's charter

Hi all, probably covered a million times but we will be cruising the Bahama's this June. Probably out of Nassau. Maybe the Exuma's. Easy to fly into Nassau and a better choice of boats.
we will be on a 10 day cruise for the first time here. Have done the BVI's three times but looking forward to new waters, it will be a Lagoon 39 or 40 probably?
But looking for places that should not be missed. will have 4 adults and two kids 13 & 10 so plenty of snorkel time envisioned.
I have owned a Gemini and put 3 - 4 thousand miles under the keel but sold it for golfing and retirement..
Would appreciate any tips of 'not to miss' etc. leaving Nassau. Not a hurried trip but want to see some towns and lonely beaches and great anchorages.
Thanks for any help and tips.
leeway
boga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:44   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Bahama's charter

Hi boga - since no one else has answered I'll try. I've spent two winters in the Bahamas and plan more in the future. But I'm sure others have more time there and can offer more detail.

First, get out of Nassau as fast as you can.

I recommend for a 10 day charter you set your sights on the Exumas and do not bite off more than you can chew - you could spend months there and not see everything worth seeing. In June the weather will be more stable vs winter and you may be able to move every day. Maybe not.

You likely won't be able to go far on your first day, so plan on an anchorage close to Nassau for your first night. Perhaps Rose Island - depending on the weather there are two good anchorages on either side of the island one of which should work well. Then set out across the Yellow Bank the next morning for Allen's Cay, a common first stop in the Exumas heading south. You'll soon realize this ain't the BVIs.

Then just work your way south until you figure you need to turn around to return the boat. Just about everyplace you stop will be terrific.

Ahead of time buy and study the Explorer Chartbooks. Also consider buying the guidebook(s) by Stephen Pavlidis. These sources will serve you well. Have fun.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:00   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It's all good in the Exumas. I take it you're going with Navtours. They should be able to set up an itinerary for you. Don't expect to eat out every night or even some nights. If you want snorkelling, fishing and deserted beaches you're going to the right spot. The only place you'll get to eat out is Staniel. That's about 60 or seventy miles from Nassau.

Allens Cay, see the iguanas. Skip Highborne Cay . Normans Cay (don't rely on MacDuffs, the sometime restaurant being open) but one my favourite spots. Take the dink up to Normans Pond. Then onto the Park (Warderick Wells) and snorkel. Before that go to Shroud and Cambridge Cays and walk the beach on the Sound (ocean) side. Then on to Staniel where the Yacht Club has decent food and you'll snorkel Thunderball Cave. Then it'll be time to head north for Nassau.
Old 11-12-2015, 14:54   #4

Thanks Dave and Rick, Great thoughts. I appreciate the time and ideas.
Probably be on a L400 so it should be a great time.
Jerry
Old 11-12-2015, 15:30   #5

If I had 10 days and was primarily interested in snorkeling and town visiting, my vote would be to make miles at the beginning and end to spend as much time as possible at the great spots:

Night 1 and 2: get to shroud key as quick as you can possibilities: in calms weather anchor on the yellow bank night 1 and then sail to shroud the next day. If it is not calm, either get to Rose Island or Palm Key Marina on Day 1, and then high tail it at dawn. It is safe to arrive at Shroud after dark if you pick up a mooring ball.

Night 2 and 3 at Shroud
Night 4 and 5 at Warderick Wells
Night 6 near Staniel to hit Thunderball Grotto and other nearby snorkeling sites
Night 7 at Blackpoint. Arrive later afternoon and check out the town and have dinner there. Maybe go back to town for breakfast.
Night 8 at Little Farmers. Check out the town, have dinner, snorkel the area or hike to the cave.
Night 9 on the yellow banks(calm) or at sail rocks then sail back to Nassau the next morning.

If you have not selected your charter company, one of the companies just moved to Palm Key marina. This could save you a few hours at the beginning and end of the trip vs. going to the north side of New Providence.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57   #6

Thanks Raindog, I will be heading out from Palm Cay. Some good tips
Jerry
Old 12-12-2015, 09:21   #7

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Bahama's charter

My favorite stops when we did a similar trip last year were right in the middle of the exumas... The area around staniel, black point, (the flats are awesome and some nice folk in town too), and little farmers. Not the easiest area to get to in 10 days and back though. But if the forecast gives you a N or NE wind the first half that veers SE toward the end you can probably do it. Otherwise you'll be motoring a lot. In June though I'm thinking you'll have mostly calm to ESE winds

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, charter